Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,139

skywake

sillygostly wrote:

Another thing that makes this game a "must have" is the fact that I can enjoy split screen local multiplayer anywhere, and the added fact that up to EIGHT Switch units can be connected together makes it an even sweeter deal.

The coolest thing about this which I hope they include is local multiplayer with more than one person per system. For example what if you have four people with two player Split screen on two consoles. Or four people on the TV and a fifth player on a second Switch. Or eight players with four player split screen on two TVs. Like the old Halo multiplayer LANs.

And sure for the average end user that's not going to be possible most of the time. When are you going to come across 8 people wanting to play Mario Kart, multiple consoles and multiple TVs. But thinking about it? If the Nintendo Switch doesn't end up being the console of choice for University students then I'll be shocked. And the more I think about the potential of this? The more their marketing makes sense.

The best bit is not everyone has to have a copy of the game or even the console. They can just grab a controller and share the screen. It's genius! And Mario Kart, the game to deliver it, is coming out not long after launch.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

StuTwo

jump wrote:

StuTwo wrote:

I've seen it estimated that it costs £50-100 million to make a big new HD game in a series like Mario Kart.

Resident Evil, GTA or Metal Gear Solid yeah sure but Mario Kart...

Well a glib answer would be that every one of the 48 tracks looks like a million pounds so you're pretty much there already.

A slightly longer, more serious answer, is that we simply have no idea exactly how much Mario Kart 8 cost to make. However, looking at the best in class art and animation assets, observing that the game was technically very demanding on the hardware and shipped with few noticable bugs, that it's very well balanced (indicating thousands of hours just play testing) and Nintendo basically told some of their top second party developers "drop everything else you were doing and help make this for the next 6 months" I think it's clear that it was a very expensive game to make.

When you add on the costs of maintaining online servers for years and the costs of marketing and promoting the game I think that £50 million could well be on the lower end of what it cost Nintendo to develop and launch Mario Kart 8.

Luigi doesn't do the "death stare" because he's self-aware - he does it because a team of people decided it would be a good idea and spend a lot of time designing it, animating it, programming it and play testing it.

The idea that it should be cheap to make, and therefore cheap to sell, because it's "just" an arcade racer or because it "just" has cartoony graphics is a depressing one. If you follow that thought process through to it's logical conclusion then you end up with games that have no production values, that have to be given away for free and in turn are not themselves valued. Basically you start a spiral that ends up in a marketplace that looks exactly like the App Store.

Is Nintendo's valuation of Mario Kart 8 right? I don't know - I think it's probably deliberately aspirational - but they are absolutely right to say "this doesn't automatically become cheaper because it's old - it has great value and we stand by that value". If they won't, or can't, do that or the market petulantly decides that they won't meet anything other than the smallest valuation for "Nintendo" style games, then they might as well stop making quality games and go big into getting a handful of vulnerable people addicted into spending hundreds of pounds a month on garbage mobile games instead.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Randomname19

The Deluxe version probably won't have something that nobody is going to miss:the Mercedes cars.

Avatar by AzulieZeiro and BeanMChocolate

jump

StuTwo wrote:

jump wrote:

StuTwo wrote:

I've seen it estimated that it costs £50-100 million to make a big new HD game in a series like Mario Kart.

Resident Evil, GTA or Metal Gear Solid yeah sure but Mario Kart...

Well a glib answer would be that every one of the 48 tracks looks like a million pounds so you're pretty much there already.

A slightly longer, more serious answer, is that we simply have no idea exactly how much Mario Kart 8 cost to make. However, looking at the best in class art and animation assets, observing that the game was technically very demanding on the hardware and shipped with few noticable bugs, that it's very well balanced (indicating thousands of hours just play testing) and Nintendo basically told some of their top second party developers "drop everything else you were doing and help make this for the next 6 months" I think it's clear that it was a very expensive game to make.

When you add on the costs of maintaining online servers for years and the costs of marketing and promoting the game I think that £50 million could well be on the lower end of what it cost Nintendo to develop and launch Mario Kart 8.

Luigi doesn't do the "death stare" because he's self-aware - he does it because a team of people decided it would be a good idea and spend a lot of time designing it, animating it, programming it and play testing it.

The idea that it should be cheap to make, and therefore cheap to sell, because it's "just" an arcade racer or because it "just" has cartoony graphics is a depressing one. If you follow that thought process through to it's logical conclusion then you end up with games that have no production values, that have to be given away for free and in turn are not themselves valued. Basically you start a spiral that ends up in a marketplace that looks exactly like the App Store.

Is Nintendo's valuation of Mario Kart 8 right? I don't know - I think it's probably deliberately aspirational - but they are absolutely right to say "this doesn't automatically become cheaper because it's old - it has great value and we stand by that value". If they won't, or can't, do that or the market petulantly decides that they won't meet anything other than the smallest valuation for "Nintendo" style games, then they might as well stop making quality games and go big into getting a handful of vulnerable people addicted into spending hundreds of pounds a month on garbage mobile games instead.

You misunderstood. I'm not saying Mario Kart is a cheap game to make, I'm disagreeing it's at the very top end of production budgets which is what you're trying to say it is.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

StuTwo

jump wrote:

You misunderstood. I'm not saying Mario Kart is a cheap game to make, I'm disagreeing it's at the very top end of production budgets which is what you're trying to say it is.

Then my apologies.

Though I suspect that you'd find Mario Kart is surprisingly high up the scale by the time you've added in server costs and marketing costs. It's budget is certainly high enough that it's not really reasonable or clever of fans to say "I want a new one just because" like Homer Simpson demanding to test out if the garbage vans are waterproof by dropping them into a lake.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Bolt_Strike

Shine Thief is my favorite Battle Mode, so I'm happy to see it return. Also curious about that new Piranha Plant battle mode.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

renaryuugufan92

@Dev I spent hours on shine thief Mkwii online back in the day, admit I was already sold on MK8 Deluxe before this leak.

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

AccessibleDaydream

Can somebody tell me exactly which amiibo are needed for the different costumes? I'm trying to figure out which amiibo I need to buy and which I have already.

AccessibleDaydream

Switch Friend Code: SW-2307-0614-2423 | My Nintendo: Dj64Mk7 | Nintendo Network ID: Dj64Mk7 | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Dev Inkling outfit is Deluxe exclusive, I'd imagine we'll see around 15 exclusive outfits to Deluxe for the purpose of pushing reasons to buy more amiibo.

After FE Fates there's not really been a point in new amiibo outside of Toon Zelda and that's only because if you get the PH/ST DLC for HWL.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dreamliner

Is there a quick reference sheet somewhere to the differences with MK8 v MK8D?

Is it graphics, maps or what?

I'm not too concerned with more characters, but I love me some levels.

I've said for a long time, if Nintendo simply made EVERY previous Mario Kart track in HD and sold it as an enormous bundle for something ridiculous like $100, I'm positive it would sell like hotcakes.

Edited on by Dreamliner

Dreamliner

kkslider5552000

Dreamliner wrote:

I'm not sure but AFAIK:
-Has all the DLC
-Main addition is a return of the traditional battle mode, with 5 maps currently known about, and quite a few game modes.
-Inklings and I think a couple of Mario characters are confirmed
-60 FPS even in 4 Player splitscreen
-Ability to hold 2 items is back

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

mav-i-am

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Dreamliner wrote:

I'm not sure but AFAIK:
-Has all the DLC
-Main addition is a return of the traditional battle mode, with 5 maps currently known about, and quite a few game modes.
-Inklings and I think a couple of Mario characters are confirmed
-60 FPS even in 4 Player splitscreen
-Ability to hold 2 items is back

I am expecting some Splatoon style comps going forwards too, be great to see additions like Splatoon had too.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

rallydefault

I think they're going to keep adding maps and characters and modes to Deluxe and almost make it a Counterstrike-style "platform" of a game that continues to be supported and grown. It's an extremely solid version of Mario Kart (some say the "best," though that's a whole discussion), and they probably had good success with the DLC in the Wii U version. With the readdition of the true battle mode and maps and two-item holding, they've brought the base package pretty much to a point where it has the best of most Mario Kart titles. It'll be easy to just keep adding from here.

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault I don't know, I feel this is merely something Nintendo threw out there with a new battle mode, which for all we know could have been planned as DLC for the Wii U but cancelled, in order to get a Mario Kart ready for launch window while they work on a true successor. Plus, look at how quickly a second Splatoon has been pumped out. If any game looked like becoming a platform, it was Splatoon and yet here we are with a sequel already rather than a port.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

rallydefault

@FragRed
Yea, but why would they start Splatoon as a platform on a dying console (the Wii U)? Same thing with Mario Kart 8. And beyond calling it "Splatoon 2," we don't know why this is technically being considered a "sequel" just yet. Brand-new campaign? Something else? We don't know yet.

Bringing both of those franchises over to their new console, the Switch, now allows them to build a platform with the future clearly laid out. (I think Splatoon will be a platform too, obviously.)

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault In that case why make Splatoon 2 a sequel? Why not just port it over like Mario Kart 8 and add to it?

Also how long can you realistically keep a game going as a platform on a console before the returns on DLC is no longer enough? There's more than just pure greed behind the likes of COD and FIFA being annual franchises. With each new DLC released, the returns on the investment diminishes as people move away to other games. And something like Mario Kart is very limited to what you can really do to keep people coming back. Splatoon I'd agree has more legs but even then I can't see it lasting more than a couple of years.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

rallydefault

@FragRed
Well that's exactly what I'm saying - we literally don't know why they named it Splatoon 2 yet. It would be strange to call it Splatoon 2 rather than just Splatoon if they wanted to make it into a platform, but again, we're talking about Nintendo here.

As for your second point, maybe they will only run these as platforms for 2ish years, but then they'll be ready for the sequel. Wouldn't that be pretty cool? If they keep the game fresh and updating it right up to the next iteration?

rallydefault

Ralizah

Other than the coin items, the changes introduced in Deluxe make this the definitive Mario Kart game, as far as I'm concerned. The inability to hold an item behind you while collecting another and the broken battle mode were huge strikes against it.

I'm still hoping for a Smash port with all the DLC included and some altered game modes (include some of the 3DS stages and swap that annoying board game mode with Smash Run).

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic