Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 401 to 420 of 1,213

MarcelRguez

BLP_Software wrote:

Remember that game called Xenoblade 2 everyone said was going to be delayed because no way will it come out this year, and I was saying until the date changes or 2017 passes there is no reason it isnt coming? Well, December 1st 2017. Look at that.

To be fair, I'm sure many people who predicted XC2's December release date would also claim that announcing and releasing a (presumably) entirely new game in such short notice would be commercial suicide, myself included. Doom is a port of a critically acclaimed 2016 game, it doesn't need a months-long marketing campaign.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

We all know the Wii U version of BotW was done well in advance. What held it up was no doubt the Switch version.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@MarcelRguez I dunno. We got the announcement of ARMS and Splatoon 2 within 7 months of launch. Snipperclips in 3. FAST RMX in 3. Heck, a lot of games on Switch have had marketing cycles of what, 2 months to nearly a year? Id be shocked jf any more games went from first reveal to release in a span over 1 year. Bare in mind Metroid and Pokemon havent been revealed yet

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MarcelRguez

@BLP_Software Lots of asterisks there. The difference between 2 and 7 months is gargantuan, Fast RMX is not an entirely new game, and Snipperclips is an indie title that was released with the system, when there wasn't as much competition.

I don't doubt we'll see many games released a couple of months after being announced, but I'd be very surprised if it happens with (again, presumably) a high-profile game such as what Retro might be working on. An outsourced remake for the 3DS like Samus Returns? Sure, two months is enough. Not sure if it would work for something bigger.

And about that Emily Rogers post earlier in the thread, I believe she claimed some time later that she didn't trust that source anymore. Liam Robertson said that very same thing, if memory serves. Nobody seems to know anything about what Retro's doing.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Haru17

Spoony_Tech wrote:

We all know the Wii U version of BotW was done well in advance. What held it up was no doubt the Switch version.

The way Death Mountain looks from a distance and probably the whole draw distance with it was visibly changed from 2015 to 2016, and again from 2016 to 2017. It wasn't that done.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

FragRed

@Haru17 I hope Nintendo learnt from the reveal trailer for Zelda and the then near three year wait for the final game to release. Firstly the trailer was very much a hype trailer as so much of what was seen and seemed to be doable was not in the game itself. If this had been someone like Ubisoft, everyone would have been hammering them on social media about downgrades and misrepresenting the game etc.

ANYWAY back on topic of DOOM for the Switch. As I said in the comments on the article today when it was announced the game would be releasing a week before Skyrim, the timing seems really odd. When there was that rumour based upon some online retailer that the game would release 15th December I thought it was really late but it kinda made sense with all that was releasing. But not this seems so bizarre.

We have got DOOM, LA Noire and Skyrim, Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces all launching in a very tight window. Mario will have no problem selling millions of copies, I mean Nintendo don't even care about going up against Assassins Creed and Wolfenstein II because they know all Nintendo and Mario fans will buy the game. However to have four triple A third party games (and I count LA Noire even though it is essentially a port) to release all in two or three weeks is just dangerous.

I especially don't get Bethesda with their idea of 2 of their games right after one another. I get they would argue they are different market audiences, but still... seems so odd. I can only assume that Nintendo have a big TV campaign that will feature all these games on the Switch as their push for holiday sales and so wanted all the games to release quickly. The problem is that this could damage sales and unless Bethesda are fully committed to the system no matter what, then it seems this could jeopardise future third party support.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@BLP_Software That's because the system is new. They couldn't reveal a Switch game in 2015, because, you know, the Switch didn't exist back then. We know of Yoshi (2018) and Kirby (2018), they're not going to announce and release Retro's game before the end of 2017. Just because it's possible in theory, doesn't mean it's likely. And the chances of that happening are negligible. You know that too.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I would imagine whatever Retro is working on will be the big holiday game for 2018. Give them an extra year to polish the game up like Nintendo have done with Mario Odyssey. I can see them announcing it whenever they do the first Direct showcasing next year's games - including more Yoshi, Kirby and that Fire Emblem game they teased was coming. Also SSB is bound to be announced. Also a whole lot more third party games I imagine will suddenly spring up.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

MarcelRguez

@FragRed If whatever they're working on isn't released by the end of 2018, five years after Tropical Freeze was finished, it better be a BotW-tier game.

Somewhat more on topic: I'm re-buying the GBA version of Doom this weekend in anticipation for this. Can't wait to give that pixelated mess a whirl again.

MarcelRguez

FragRed

@MarcelRguez It better be a game that really wows people after all this time upon reveal regardless.

Oh my God that game was so awesome on the GBA. I loved it, was the first time I ever played old school Doom though I knew someone who had it on a PC back in the day. I may buy the original game on Xbox One

DTMOF84

Is this the Doom thread or something else? I came here for Doom and see stuff about Retro studios and Donkey Kong. These mods will close something out for being off topic or a duplicate in their minds. Act like you’re killing server space by using an emoji as a response...

Anyways back to Doom. I did not expect this to come out before Skyrim. Has anyone preordered from Amazon Prime and got a game on release day? Or is it better off getting at the store and paying a little more?

Edited on by DTMOF84

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

faint

@FragRed what do they need to learn from? The game is still in the top npd sellers after 7 months on the market.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

JasmineDragon

@DTMOF84 I've had launch day problems with Amazon Prime with two games that I preordered. They may have gotten their act together since then, but I don't really trust it anymore. If playing on launch day is important to you, I'd probably recommend picking it up in stores or doing the Best Buy Gamers Club preorder.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

DTMOF84

@JasmineDragon Amazon doesn't have a release date listed for it yet when I looked. Still has it as December 31. I'll probably just get it at a store. I really like their Prime discount on new releases though. Almost worth giving it a whirl and see.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

FragRed

@DTMOF84 Amazon can be really slow with updating their details I find when it comes to video gams. No idea why, though when you have so many on your site, I guess it's just time consuming to keep updating everything.

DTMOF84

Yeah thats probably it. I ordered MK8D from them but it was just after the release in stores. I think you get a two week window to get the games at a discount.

🇺🇸
☕️
🤘🏻

Nintendoforlife

@DTMOF84 I've had two good experiences with Prime if I recall correctly. I ordered Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U and got it launch day, as well as more recently Arms which also arrived on time. ARMS actually came around 9:40 in the morning so that was a bit of a shock for me.

Nintendoforlife

JasmineDragon

DTMOF84 wrote:

@JasmineDragon Amazon doesn't have a release date listed for it yet when I looked. Still has it as December 31. I'll probably just get it at a store. I really like their Prime discount on new releases though. Almost worth giving it a whirl and see.

Don't get me wrong, that discount is nothing to sneer at. I just really like having a game on launch day sometimes, just like I like going to some movies on opening night. It's fun to be there for those first few days of buzz, when everyone is experiencing the thing for the first time.

In the case of Doom, it's a moot point since I am not buying it for myself. My birthday is a few days after the launch, and I am banned from buying games in the weeks before my birthday. I have made it known to my family that the fact that Doom comes out mere days before my B-day is an indisputable sign that the gaming gods mean for me to have it.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JaxonH

@DTMOF84

I second that recommendation for BestBuy GCU. It's only $30 for two years membership. So basically $15 a year, or 12.5% the cost of Amazon Prime. 95 times out of 100 they get my game to me the day of release if not the day before. You get the same 20% off but it doesn't just apply to pre-orders, and it also works on amiibo, and it works on collector editions, and it works on games bundled with season passes or controllers. The discount never expires (I just bought Metal Gear Rising Revengeance for $11.99 after 20% discount from $15). And on top of that you can earn another 5% back by using their credit card, and you earn 4% back with double reward points as a GCU member.

But wait... there's more.

Some of the larger AAA games will receive $10 pre-order reward incentives. Like Super Mario Odyssey. And FIFA 18. And NBA 2k18. All of which I got for effectively $35, delivered day one. The $10 back in rewards is not directly discounted off the price but it's as good as cash because you can just use it towards another purchase (just like the 5% back from CC and 4% from double reward points). Every couple months I cash out about $200 worth of rewards. I just pre-ordered my Xbox One X for $300 thanks to reward certs.

And if all of that wasn't enough, on top of all of that, they offer a special collectors coin for pre-ordering Super Mario Odyssey (they do neat incentives like that from time to time).

The program is fantastic, and I can't help but get excited telling others about it to the extent I'm throwing up G-C-U Iike a gang sign around the forum.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic