Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 381 to 400 of 1,257

MegaTen

Some random comments from under YouTube videos:

Person 1: "I have it on pc, but will pick it up for switch"

Person 2: "I have it on pc so I’ll be getting on switch as well"

Person 3: "Just bought it for my xbox 1. Another great game for the Switch though"

Person 4: "Playing just PC and switch as my systems of choice means I get the best version of any multi platform and the portability of the switch, I see this as the clear best way to play games but I am tempted to get some of the multiplatform games for switch just because playing wherever is actually such a great thing."

Person 5: "not having 60 fps for such a game is bad, but we have to admit it's a fantastic port. The switch is a fantastic and highly desirable console, but there's only so much power."

Person 6: "I have a beefy PC and a Switch, and I'd honestly rather have the portability option. I've never been picky about frame rates. 30fps is fine with me."

Person 7: "As a PC owner, it does its job well. By which Skyrim and Doom should be good experience for Bethesda to get the hang of the Switch's architechure."

Person 8: "I have the PC version. I can tell, this looks Damn Good on the Switch. I'm impressed. Must buy for me."

Person 9: "I've had Doom for PC since launch day, and have put about 140 hours into it since then (it's a really fun game). Even on max settings and 60 fps on the PC I don't see any huge glaring reason why the Switch version will be bad to play. Frame rate and graphics aren't as good as they could be, but what do expect on a handheld? IMO this looks way good and is really smooth for such a small console. If I didn't already own it I would buy this in a heartbeat. Nice work Bethesda!"

Person 10: "Speaking as someone who's only played the PC version, this is actually really impressive."

Person 11: "Even though I have this for the PC Im getting this for the switch"

Person 12: "Own it and love it on PC (Which is why I wont be picking it up on the Switch, besides I can't stand console FPS controls). But it's great to see Switch owners having the option to play this fantastic game. Rip and Tear."

Person 13: "i loved this on pc, will definitely get it for the switch"

Person 14: "I have doom on a gaming pc but I'd still get it on switch so I can play this on the go, it's a great game, fast paced, I'm just really interested to compare for myself"

Same story goes for TESV: Skyrim.

Edited on by MegaTen

Done with gaming. Farewell people!

MegaTen

It just works.

JaxonH

@Pigeon

It's confirmed 30fps, docked or handheld. But every major gaming news site has said it plays smoothly and feels great. I think a little too much emphasis has been placed on framerate number over framerate stability.

I don't think it's possible to scale the graphics back enough to get 60fps in this game. And to be honest I don't think it's worth it even if they could- even on PS4/Xbox the game couldn't achieve a solid 60fps. It dipped to 40 and 50 as seen in the Digital Foundry analysis. If even those systems had an inconsistent framerates dropping to 40fps, no way Switch could ever manage. Provided it is indeed a stable, consistent 30fps (which judging by pretty much every impressions piece, it is) the gain achieved by upgrading to a similar, inconsistent 40-60 as other consoles simply doesn't outweigh the considerable concessions that would have to be made both visually and in resolution in order to achieve it.

Vita FPS were pretty bad (Borderlands 2, Call of Dufy and Resistance comes to mind) but everyone who's played this says it feels great and plays smoothly and feels like the other console versions. So I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Should watch some gameplay of it running on Switch. It looks incredibly smooth and surprisingly comparable visually.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Pigeon

I guess it depends on preferences. Personally, I've played a few first person shooters in 30fps and, it can sometimes be a bit jarring. I'm not caring much for the gameplay I've seen so far. I'm experienced enough to not believe a game's quality until I have it in my own hands to play for myself.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong of course. I couldn't hope for anything more than a decent FPS titles on the switch. But I'm not going to put all my hopes up. I've been there enough times before. But, on the plus side, if it turns out to be totally kick-arse, then I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Pigeon

Spoony_Tech

JaxonH wrote:

@Pigeon

Call of Dufy

For some reason this just made my day!

@MegaTen All 14 of those people were actually just @JaxonH getting the word out to support this game lol!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

@Spoony_Tech

#buydoomforswitch 😁

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

electrolite77

Lethal wrote:

electrolite77 wrote:

There are still millions of people out there who haven't played it,

Where is your source for that??? Skyrim has sold over 25 million physical copies and who knows how many digital. Probably not many people left that have not already played the game.

It's sold 30 million copies in total.

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/interviews/skyrim-creator-...

The Console formats it's been on have sold about 250 million systems. Who knows how many PC's can play it? But it's sold 30 million copies.

Lethal wrote:

electrolite77 wrote:

You're transposing how you live onto a much larger group of people. We don't know how it will sell but just because you see no value in portability doesn't mean that applies to everyone else.

You are doing the same thing though.

Where? I understand people have different use cases and different lifestyles. I'm not the one saying ludicrous things like "Maybe when you have a real job, wife, and a family, you will understand when grown ups actually get a chance to play video games" because I don't know what other people's situations are. Mine, as a 40 year-old Air Traffic Controller with two young kids and a wife, is one where the Switch fits in perfectly. Other people will be different. Try to grasp that.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

MegaTen

@Spoony_Tech Ahaaaa! @JaxonH is exposed!

Well, even one of my best friends (who is a PC-only gamer) was impressed when I showed him the off-screen footage, and said "if I owned a Switch, DOOM would be a game I'd buy it looks AMAZING!"...

He's not a Bethesda employee, like @JaxonH!

JaxonH

@MegaTen

No no no, I'm a BestBuy employee. CEO in fact. Nobody's stepping up to my Gamer's Club Unlocked program. Not even Amazon's VP @SirJBizzle knows what to do about it

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

MegaTen

@JaxonH Hahaha! My apologies for mistaking your identity.

YummyHappyPills

Damn that looks bad. Like, real bad.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

YummyHappyPills

@OorWullie Blurry, muddy, it just looks low res. And in ways very stale.

Thing is, this game is very much on my watch list, but these images aren't doing it for me.

And sadly, I know part of me thinking it looks bad, is because I'm colour blind. So while some would see a lower res image, I barely see anything at all beyond generic shapes, most detail is lost.

And we have no idea if the colour blind modes will be maintained coming over, so until there is that confirmed, I'm going to need to hold off and try and visualise this game in my head instead of the mess I see in images.

JaxonH

No idea what you're talking about, game looks incredible. Not sure why you would expect 4K images off of a switch that taps out at 720p. Zelda looked no sharper. No better.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

GrailUK

I'm sure it plays fine. There is an old adage as old as gaming itself. Graphics don't make a game.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

YummyHappyPills

@JaxonH Im saying it looks bad because in my eyes...it does. I have a hard enough time playing the game on PS4 without using colour blind modes! I dont expect 4k, as I cant see that either, but the lower resolution is making something I already have issues seeing, even worse.

So until this port has confirmed colour blind modes, I cant give a verdict on how it looks as it does look damn near unplayable.

And being a game ported to a Nintendo system there is precedence for features to be missing...

JaxonH

@GrailUK
But even if graphics don't make a game, they look amazing here all the same. This is one of the best looking games on the Switch I've seen.

If someone is using graphics as an argument against this game they probably have an agenda. Because this is about as good as it gets on Switch. This is what handheld gaming has evolved into.

If Switch graphics aren't satisfactory, can always go back to playing on the DS and PSP.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

MegaTen

@BLP_Software It has a colorblind option in the graphics menu. Here you can see the graphical options.

Edited on by MegaTen

MsJubilee

@GrailUK But graphics can make or break an experience for someone.

I've died. There is no more me

This is the will of the heavens.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742 | Nintendo Network ID: TwilightAngel9

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic