Forums

Topic: almost ready to sell my switch

Posts 241 to 260 of 376

kkslider5552000

Lethal is the Xbox One reveal conference of NL posters.

Some of you will get this and laugh and most won't. Which is the point.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

@kkslider5552000
I don't remember them actually having a conference to reveal the XBOne. I remember being confused about why Microsoft was selling a new kind of PVR at E3. But XBox? I thought they just announced it somewhere else.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BigBadJohn

Lethal wrote:

BigBadJohn wrote:

I suppose everyone is different but I genuinely can't see me ever buying a games console and stopping wallet in hand to ask the question "Wait, does it have YouTube?".

You would if you were buying it as a portable device.....

No YouTube
No Messenger
No Web Browser
No NetFlix

Pretty essential things to have in a portable device that is larger than the 3DS, 2DS, ipods, and many tablets....

Erm no I wouldn't. Quit telling me what I would do. I'm buying a games console to play games. I have my phone for everything else. One more time round the merry go round?

And I did buy The Switch without any of those things. Twice. And so did you. Twice.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

DocGroove

BigBadJohn wrote:

I'm buying a games console to play games. I have my phone for everything else.

Same for me. I never used all those apps that came with the Vita too since I have a more than capable phone which is always with me in my pocket.

DocGroove

JasmineDragon

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Reverandjames 3D World, the Galaxy games and Sunshine are all radically different from one another. Do you just not like 3D Mario, or is it about those games specifically?

Personally, it's way too soon to give up on the console yet. It's barely been out for 4 months. Do you want to know what the 3DS had during its first four months? Nintendogs, Ocarina of Time 3D, Dead or Alive Dimensions and Super Street Fighter IV. That's it.

To be fair, the 3DS had backwards compatibility, which made a HUGE difference. I never even noticed the small 3DS library because I already had two dozen DS games that I played on it extensively. The DS also benefited from BC with GBA games. The Switch has none of that, so if you don't like the games currently offered there is nothing else to hold your interest.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

rallydefault

@kkslider5552000
lol omg I remember that reveal, but the splicing in the video is hilarious. They botched that reveal so badly.

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

@JasmineDragon Do people really buy new consoles to play games they can already play on their old device? I've never done that and it strikes me as odd. Why would anyone buy a next gen machine to play old games?

I get what you mean, some people's Switches would see more use if the system had that feature. Still, is it a point worth considering when talking about first year catalogs in general? I was explicitely talking about upcoming titles. Not to mention, retrocompatibility isn't the norm, especially outside of Nintendo hardware.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

gcunit

MarcelRguez wrote:

Do people really buy new consoles to play games they can already play on their old device?

I don't know the answer to that specific question, but I do know that a big reason behind me buying a PS3, an Xbox One, and a N3DS, was the BC offered, because I'd never had or played any PS1, Xbox360 or DS games.

Being able to play my Wii games on the Wii U's gamepad screen was also a factor in my Wii U decision.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

MarcelRguez

@Reverandjames Then you shouldn't write off Odyssey so quickly. It's more similar to 64 than any other title and its motion controls are completely optional.

@gcunit For sure, I'm not arguing against BC in any way. I just consider it a very minor selling point in the grand scheme of things. Same thing with cross-gen multiplats, for examples. Exclusives are what drive me specifically to buy a new platform.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Lethal

DocGroove wrote:

BigBadJohn wrote:

I'm buying a games console to play games. I have my phone for everything else.

Same for me. I never used all those apps that came with the Vita too since I have a more than capable phone which is always with me in my pocket.

1. You are assuming everyone has a phone. My kids do not have a phone.

2. Your example of the phone doing everything you need is another example of why there is no reason to carry the Switch around. Just like why my kids chose the iPad over the Switch.

Being a portable device that ONLY plays games is not enough. Maybe if it were smaller then it would not be so bad. But it is too big to carry around just to play the 2-3 games worth playing on it.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

skywake

MarcelRguez wrote:

Do people really buy new consoles to play games they can already play on their old device? I've never done that and it strikes me as odd. Why would anyone buy a next gen machine to play old games?

The only difference BC has ever made to me is that it has given me a reason to box the old machine. When I had the previous machine. I agree, generally I don't get the appeal of buying previous gen games on a new system.

I think it's a combination of the previous console being too new to be retro and too old to be fresh. The uncanny valley of old games.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NEStalgia

@Reverandjames Wow, I knew you didn't like ARMS but I'm surprised to hear that! It's funny how tastes change and different content becomes appealing. For me, I started with Nintendo (and then Sega) back in the day, (well, technically, Atari, but let's not talk about that ) , then I left consoles and Nintendo and spent over a decade as a PC Master Race elite nerd....yeah, I was so awesome....all the games were so edgey... And then decided to try out Playstation after I got sick of dealing with PC hardware and software woes (that's a whole other discussion), and then got back into Nintendo. Had a love-hate relationship with Wii and WiiU, loved 3DS, but at present, Switch is far and away my favorite platform I've ever owned. It's versatility just makes gaming fit life, and the overall games coming out for it all speak to me. Not so much the online games, but Rabbids (I'm an SRPG sucker, and that's just too darned cute...), XC2, SMT5, Odyssey.... and a boatload of smaller content I can't think of at the moment. It's the first console I've liked BECAUSE of the hardware itself and not in spite of it. My PS4 hasn't been booted since March 2nd. (3DS still gets use though...too many good games coming out and too convenient to not use...) And looking at the coming titles, it probably won't be until well into 2018 that it next is (despite that I have Horizon and Persona 5, and soon the Uncharted 4 expansion, waiting in shrink wrap.) Between Skyrim, Rabbids, and XC2 (I had Skyrim on X360 and gave up in a few hours despite loving Oblivion and Morrowind, so Switch gives me a more convenient chance to get back into it...it was my first Elder Scrolls I didn't play on PC and I think that broke the enthusiasm for me at the time) and who knows when SMT5 drops, I'll be tethered to Switch games for at least another 8 months. By then, the next wave will probably start coming out (plus, have to make time for Metroid on 3DS...) Poor PS4. I keep looking at Pro just because I want the framerate improvements but don't have a 4k or HDR ready screen, and I can't imagine getting one before the PS5 exists. But every time I think about it I ask myself why I'd pay $400 for a machine I probably won't even use for most of the next year?

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Switch is just short of 4 months old and hasn't even had a Christmas shopping season to its name yet. What did 3DS have in the same time period? Ocarina remastered that landed about now. Starfox that landed in a little bit. Before that it was all shovelware. And it didn't really pick up until 3D land. PS4 was DEAD all of year 1. It consisted of almost entirely re-releases of PS3 games, and new multiplats that were also on PS3 (and even WiiU.)

Though I do get the sense that the types of games Nintendo makes (and gets from 3rd party) just aren't your kind of games, though looking at your list in your sig, I can't understand why not

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

BigBadJohn

@Lethal couple of things to pick you up on there chief. We where saying for everything else we have our phones. Neither apple nor android phones or tablets are capable of the same gaming experience as the Switch. Maybe you could argue minecraft works fine on an iPad but it doesn't come close to the switch version. I'm happy to carry my Switch and my iPhone around so I've got the best of both worlds. This isn't the massive inconvenience you make it out to be as I own a pocket for my phone and a backpack for my Switch. Amazing times we live in. And secondly I'm sure your kids don't have phones but ... you do. If you're on a long trip and they get bored of the Switch and want to watch YouTube lend them your phone. It's your choice dude, you've just dropped $600 on two Switch consoles. Might as well try and make it work.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Lethal

BigBadJohn wrote:

@Lethal couple of things to pick you up on there chief. We where saying for everything else we have our phones. Neither apple nor android phones or tablets are capable of the same gaming experience as the Switch. Maybe you could argue minecraft works fine on an iPad but it doesn't come close to the switch version. I'm happy to carry my Switch and my iPhone around so I've got the best of both worlds. This isn't the massive inconvenience you make it out to be as I own a pocket for my phone and a backpack for my Switch. Amazing times we live in. And secondly I'm sure your kids don't have phones but ... you do. If you're on a long trip and they get bored of the Switch and want to watch YouTube lend them your phone. It's your choice dude, you've just dropped $600 on two Switch consoles. Might as well try and make it work.

I just don't think you are reading carefully buddy.

1. Saying Minecraft is better on Switch over iPad is nothing but your own opinion.
2. I do have a phone and I don't let anyone play on my $850 phone........
3. I am giving examples as to what Nintendo needs to do to make sure consumers are choosing the Switch over the iPads, touches, and other portable devices. You simply do not understand this conversation as all you do is redirect it solely to me.
I have 2 children that chose other portable devices over the Switch. Ya that is not what Nintendo is after. If you do not understand that, well...

You are not ready for this discussion..

Here is what Nintendo needs to avoid.

"Hey guys you get to bring one portable device with you on this trip. Which one will you choose?"

1. Nintendo Switch
Pros:
Plays games

Cons:
No messenger
No web browser
No YouTube
No Netflix
3hr battery life

2. All other portable devices
Pros:
Plays games
Plays movies
Plays music
Web Browser
YouTube
NetFlix

Cons:
No Zelda or Mario Kart (unless you choose the 3DS/2DS)

I own and operate 2 successful businesses. I know how to make money and what needs to happen to make success last. Nintendo has not had long lasting success in quite some time. Gamecube limited success, Wii very short success. Wii U had virtually no success. It is great to sell a lot of consoles, but it still needs to bring in money year in and year out.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

BigBadJohn

@Lethal You're right Bro, I must not be reading you properly as I'm really struggling with your points. You see you keep saying what Nintendo NEEDS to do to ensure people are buying their new console when people are already buying their console in fantastic numbers. So really at the moment they just need to stick to their game plan. I genuinely don't think they are competing with iPads or other tablets as it's a games console. Now I get that you have two successful businesses but I have three successful businesses which makes my opinion slightly better than yours. Here's the thing though I doubt very much your in the same league as Nintendo no matter how badly the Wii U or GameCube did. Now I get your little scene that you played out but you know what I never have and never will say to my kids "you only get to take one device with you so choose!" But maybe I'm a bad parent.

Wanna chat some more mate, I'm away from home but thankfully I've got both my Switch and my phone so I can talk all night.

PS it is my opinion about minecraft. It's an opinion shared by many reviews including the one on NintendoLife. Just saying.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

NaviAndMii

Lethal wrote:

I own and operate 2 successful businesses. I know how to make money and what needs to happen to make success last. Nintendo has not had long lasting success in quite some time.

They must be quite some businesses to both be more successful than Nintendo...I'm surprised to see an owner of two (presumably?) ultra-successful global brands frequenting these humble forums!

Let me get out my copy of the Forbes 100 and see if I can't figure out who you are...Mr Buffet? Mr Gates? Her Majesty The Queen?? Hmm...

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

2.74 million units sold so far. Had it come with YouTube preinstalled, it could have surpassed the 10 million mark already!

MarcelRguez

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.