Forums

Topic: almost ready to sell my switch

Posts 221 to 240 of 376

maceng

One of the reasons that I haven't bought a Switch is the lack of Netflix and YouTube support. I have a console attached to every TV in the house, plus an Smart TV so my children can watch Netflix where they please. My youngest girl (7) has a Wii U in its room: she loves to play it once in a while (more so now in vacation), but she spends most of the time watching Netflix and, occasionally, YouTube for music. My son has a PS4 in its room: he spends equal time playing, watching Netflix or Crunchyroll, or adding gaming videos to his YouTube channel (he is 12). My wife came around and let me have a PS3 on our room so she can watch Netflix now and then, and I can game on Weekend's mornings and evenings. Had the Switch had at least Nintendo and YouTube, I'd have sell the PS3 and put in my room or my daughter's room.

And no, I don't want to watch Netflix on a tablet (we have 5 in the house) since it is too inconvenient and doesn't allow us to watch a flick together.

I support Nintendo, but the lack of these features (plus a very underwhelming list of games that I want to play) prevents them from getting a sale to me.

Edited on by maceng

maceng

NEStalgia

@maceng What on earth are your kids watching on Netflix and Youtube that they use it so much? I guess cartoons and such are on Netflix these days?

In a way your post highlights the dilemma. You can hook a tablet to a TV, or stream wirelessly if it's a smart TV. It's a device basically BUILT for the purpose of watching video. But you don't see the point of video on a mobile device like a tablet because it's inconvenient to watch (not on a TV.) While the switch is, primarily, like a tablet. Yet you want video on Switch because in its dock you'd use it (but don't want to use other tablets that way.) Yet others want video because it is a tablet. Meanwhile most TVs these days being made are Smart TVs which all play video natively....so why does anyone need an external device to play video at home on the TV other than compatibility with legacy TVs which presumes you already have a legacy device to do so with. So the only real merit to it would be to have video on the go like a tablet...but unlike a tablet there's no Verizon or AT&T version with a $1000/2yr contract for data, so you'd need a tablet, phone, or hotspot to tether to anyway, which means you'd already have another device to play video on anyway.....

I know they said it's coming anyway so it's all a mute argument, but when you read all the conflicting reasons people that want video want it, it seems every more crazy that people actually want it at all! There's a bunch of individual cases where someone that already has other devices for it wants to have it on Switch, too, but no real compelling reasons which Switch really need s to be used as a video player other than people getting used to having anything you plug into a wall being a television.

But what do I know, I still get TV with a copper antenna through the air....

NEStalgia

BigBadJohn

I suppose everyone is different but I genuinely can't see me ever buying a games console and stopping wallet in hand to ask the question "Wait, does it have YouTube?". During E3 I seriously considered the Xbox One X proposition as some of the games do look amazing (I have since changed my mind) however at no point did I think about media streaming, internet browsing, YouTube or Netflix. For me it's all about the games. I've only been into Nintendo since the GameCube era though I've been gaming since the early 80s so I'm not blindly defending them. In fairness I've owned every Sony console but not even half of Nintendo consoles (I still don't get all the fuss about metroid and genuinely have never played a DKC) so I'm certainly not a fanboy and let me assure you my but doesn't hurt (not actually sure if this is a terrible slur or just friendly banter). I'm currently on holiday and I have a few devices with me that cover all bases and genuinely the only drawback is the three different chargers I had to bring with me. Now I don't want to rile any feathers so I'll just say that I'm right and everyone else is wrong and the sooner you all realise this the better for it will be for everyone.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
You obviously don't know me very well. Let me fill you in:

• I am ALWAYS open to debate, and I am one of the more willing people on this site to see things from another side and concede points. You just haven't presented anything particularly engaging in any of the threads I've seen you active in, in my opinion. Sorry?
    -I do NOT put a ton of time into making long-winded posts on this board, so to expect ME to research YOUR posts is ludicrous. I come here for fun to see what people are thinking for a few minutes, not to do an hour of research. I get to do that at my work, thank you very much.
    And eh...I couldn't even remember what the heck else you were accusing me of. I don't really care.

Oh, the achievements thread, sorry. Yea, I thought your ideas there were pretty flawed and not very logical. Like...achievements ruin your experience, but if they're ONLY in the game it's cool? ....

Sorry, guys. Back to whatever else this thread has become about lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

@rallydefault Mate, that's all fine and dandy, really. Disagree with what I say all I want, but don't act like I'm not making my points clearly, flawed as you find them to be. All the more so if you are not willing to discuss them and you'd rather reply saying I do things I don't. Why bother replying at all? Just so I can flag your posts?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
Yea, I mean, I feel the same way. I really don't care what you think about me; it's obvious nothing I say is gonna change your mind. But you really need to own up to being a down-right jerk to a lot of people on this forum, though. Just my opinion. I doubt you will, and I don't know you well enough to gauge if you even register when you're doing it.

And man, keep flaggin my posts, I guess, because it's been six years and nothing's ever happened to me (maybe because I've never done anything wrong??)

(Oh, sorry, your last question: Why do I post? I post when I feel that someone is being unfair and high-and-mighty, typically. I posted in this thread when you mocked everyone for responding to the "fanboy" accusation, as if you're somehow above that. You're not. Not by a longshot, my friend. Whatever you are - Australian? Mate, then.)

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

Apologies to the rest of the thread for the e-drama, hope you're enjoying the soap opera.

@rallydefault Change my mind about what? You're the guy following another user around the forum to post inflammatory comments. It's one thing if you do it once, but what's this, the third time? Not to mention, you can't even get your facts about me straight. I'm still waiting for you to prove your accusation. You claim random BS about me, yet you think I'm the 'down-right jerk' here. At worst, you are in no position to act as high and mighty, vindicator of the weak.

Friendly, non-sarcastic advice: go to my profile and check out my forum posts. See if they support the notion of myself you've made up in your head. Then revisit the thread mentioned previously, read our interactions and check my replies and your own posts with a cold head.

MarcelRguez

rallydefault

@MarcelRguez
Oh, I'm following you? Wasn't aware. Thanks for telling me.
I'm no vindicator of the weak, I just speak up when I think I need to.

I don't know what a "cold head" is, but I already told you: I'm not going to waste my time doing that. I made an accusation against you; you say it's wrong. Ok. You made an accusation against me; I say its wrong. OK?

I don't think there's much else to say here. Popping back into Overwatch. Trying to climb to Diamond, but I lost my last two games

rallydefault

MarcelRguez

@rallydefault

rallydefault wrote:

I just speak up when I think I need to.

Funny, I'm the same way! I think I'm beginning to see why I irk you so much.

rallydefault wrote:

I'm not going to waste my time doing that

I am ALWAYS open to debate, and I am one of the more willing people on this site to see things from another side and concede points.

If you dropped the defensive attitude for a second you'd realize that you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing me of doing and that I'm honestly trying to show you that you're not acting rationally here.

rallydefault wrote:

I made an accusation against you; you say it's wrong. Ok. You made an accusation against me; I say its wrong. OK?

Nope. My proof is on the thread I linked before which, again, you should re-read. You, on the other hand, haven't presented a single post to support what you say. That's not me saying it's wrong, that's you not being able to sustain your claims.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Ryu_Niiyama

so OP any games excite you from E3? I'm partial to FE Warriors myself (and yoshi...geez tis too cute!)

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

crimsontadpoles

Sooooooo anyways, I think the Switch should have support for things like Youtube, Netflix and Internet browsing. There will be times when people might prefer to take a tablet with them on a journey and watch videos instead of playing games with a Switch.

The Switch could be better, but selling it due to lack of internet and videos seems like an overreaction. Most people will have other devices that can do these things.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

MarcelRguez

@Reverandjames 3D World, the Galaxy games and Sunshine are all radically different from one another. Do you just not like 3D Mario, or is it about those games specifically?

Personally, it's way too soon to give up on the console yet. It's barely been out for 4 months. Do you want to know what the 3DS had during its first four months? Nintendogs, Ocarina of Time 3D, Dead or Alive Dimensions and Super Street Fighter IV. That's it.

Hell, the PS4 didn't get an exclusive worth a damn until Bloodborne was released, and that was a year and a half after it was released. Even if you feel generous and lower the entry bar, Infamous Second Son dropped six months after release. Launch years usually suck, and I'd argue the Switch's first year is shaping up to be excellent in terms of quality.

MarcelRguez

bolt05

@skywake um i never said anything about fanboys. I believe we both agree about the role of the switch at any rate.

bolt05

gcunit

The one or two things stopping the Switch's first year being a complete win is the lack of a unique, more 'mature' action-adventure-shooter type game, and a realistic racing game. If Metroid Prime 4 released in the first year then all bets would be off, but it won't.

But even so, I've only got 3 games in my Switch library (BotW, MK8D, ARMS) and I'm very satisfied indeed.

If Nintendo do put more apps on the system then fine, but if they come at the expense of the OS's fluidity then I'd prefer not to have them.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Lethal

BigBadJohn wrote:

I suppose everyone is different but I genuinely can't see me ever buying a games console and stopping wallet in hand to ask the question "Wait, does it have YouTube?".

You would if you were buying it as a portable device.....

No YouTube
No Messenger
No Web Browser
No NetFlix

Pretty essential things to have in a portable device that is larger than the 3DS, 2DS, ipods, and many tablets....

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

gcunit

@Lethal If Switch was trying to be a 'One device does all' then sure, fairly essential. But Switch isn't trying to do that. Not yet anyway. It's a dedicated games machine.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Lethal

gcunit wrote:

@Lethal If Switch was trying to be a 'One device does all' then sure, fairly essential. But Switch isn't trying to do that. Not yet anyway. It's a dedicated games machine.

And there lies the problem. All of my posts have been examples of why Nintendo needs to add what is essential to a portable device with a touch screen. You can say what you want, that is fine. But my opinion does not change because I used actual real examples with facts on why my kids would rather bring their iPads on a plane instead of their Switches. So that is something Nintendo needs to fix. Whether you agree with that or not, it is an issue.

And why even have an option to let you know your friend is online when you can not even send them a message? That makes no sense.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

kkslider5552000

I'm a weirdo that wants to buy game consoles when they're worthwhile to me instead of before.

My patience > this thread

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

Lethal wrote:

You would if you were buying it as a portable device.....

No YouTube
No Messenger
No Web Browser
No NetFlix

Pretty essential things to have in a portable device that is larger than the 3DS, 2DS, ipods, and many tablets....

The 3DS lacked those things when I got mine. Infact mine still lacks Netflix and the ability to do the others is average at best. Same deal with the DS when I got it and for its entire life unless you count pictochat or the crappy web browser cartridge which I never got. And my old Gameboy certainly didn't have these things.

So no. I wouldn't hesitate buying a portable device designed to play games if I found out it couldn't do Netflix at the counter. I believe my reaction would be along the lines of "and? It has games so why should I care?"

Now if a TV didn't have Netflix built in I'd pause. If a smartphone had an os that didn't have some basic apps I'd pause. But the only reason I'd pause buying a gaming machine is if there weren't many upcoming games.

Sidenote: the first iPhone lacked Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and pretty much everything. It was not really marketed as a Swiss army knife. It was marketed more as a phone with a built-in iPod.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.