Forums

Topic: Achievements?

Posts 281 to 300 of 415

19Robb92

@Octane
That's good for you. But I personally feel that It's kinda hard to ignore something that all your friends can still see and will compare you against (though I guess that depends on how much your friends are into Trophies). I feel like I'm being forced to participate in a competition I don't even care for, and in my opinion it would be nice to opt out completely.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

KryptoniteKrunch

I can see this tying in with My Nintendo. After all Miitomo and Mario Run already have little achievement systems tied-in in with MN.

KryptoniteKrunch

Nintendo Network ID: KryptoniteKrunch

Samus7Killer

I also think the stamps and stickers shoukd be developer specific rather than a trophy or medal system.. i togally ignore the trophy system on Sony machines. I actually have 3 PSN accounts so my trophies are spread out across and I dont really care what one thinks. Chasing trophies can ruin your experience in a game. Not fun at all. I only 100% certain game i truly love like Bayonettas, Twilight Princess HD, NieR Automata, etc...

Samus7Killer

NaviAndMii

Who knows? I just think that, if they introduce an achivement system (which maybe looks a bit more likely) they're bound to put their own spin on it - I just thought of stickers as an example of how they could perhaps put a different twist on them...

Each achievement usually has a unique little icon associated with it - the one below, for example, is the icon for 100% completing LA Noire - perhaps, on Switch, you'd unlock it as a sticker instead?

Untitled

Perhaps each of those 'stickers' would just get added to a sticker book (that others can't see) in chronological order (so that you can still track your playing history) - but you have the option to display whichever ones you like of the ones you've collected on your profile (that others can see)...if you're a bit of a show off, you can display your '100%' stickers (like the one above) - or, if you're quite artistic, you could perhaps make a little design out of the ones you've collected instead? - or maybe you'd just show off the ones that you think are cute or something? ..it'd be up to you! ..a bit less competitive - a bit more creative!

Obviously, they might have something completely different up their sleeves - or maybe nothing at all! ..but 'achievements' don't have to be a copy & paste of what you see on other platforms - they do like to do things a little differently at Nintendo

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

SKTTR

If I wanna show my achievements and trophies, I take a screenshot and show it to my friends. Yup, Miiverse was the best achievements system for me.

In Steam, PS4 and XBox its just an overarching system corrupting all games with needless stuff (even pulling in games that don't make sense in that system).

Other than that the "gamer score" is a pointless number: the highscores are not held by the best gamers but by the people with the most money: people that buy every piece of shovelware in the bargain bin to rack up some "gamer score" points. Essentially it's pay-to-win crap.

It's better for each game to have its own achievement system when it makes sense and when it's becoming a better game because of it. The game developers and designers will have more freedom without it as they don't have to use it. If they want, they can continue making their own in-game achievement systems.

Also it's much nicer to have design variety in those "achievement collection" screens instead of having just one generic system for all. Sweeping all under the same carpet, like globalization, is cancer. It's damaging to the freedom and power of smaller groups.

Finally, I can't think of many things that are worse during gameplay than those achievement pop-up messages. They're almost like unwanted ads.

Who in their right mind would want to damage their beautiful HD cutscenes with pop up messages? And how many games have you played on PS and Xbox where the achievement pop-ups obscured not just cutscenes, but vital UI information or important in-game screentext?

I think the idea is horrible and even though I might be one of the highest scoring guys in such a system, if it is like on PS and Xbox I will shut it off.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

SKTTR

I don't want to turn them off.
I just want something better than what is on platforms like Playstation, Xbox, and Steam.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

kkslider5552000

I'd prefer achieve-mints. You get a mint every time you do something impressive or notable in a game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Luna_110

I think I'll just turn them off. In game achievement systems that unlock new stuff, like Bayonetta or Smash are the best systems for me since it actually feels relevant.
Having trophies just for the sake of it, or for bragging rights feels kind of useless for me.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Blaze1021

Please, just watch this video and stop arguing about the value of achievements, it'll give a better understanding of why people like them and everything:

Blaze1021

Bolt_Strike

I feel like Nintendo is a unique position to make achievements even better than what Xbox and Playstation offer because of My Nintendo. If achievements translated into coins that you could spend on My Nintendo rewards, that would be a great way to get some use out of them instead of having a pretty much meaningless score. Of course they would still need rewards actually worth spending on, but yeah.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TuVictus

If accomplishments gave us coins, I would forgive My Nintendo for its awful rewards

TuVictus

Blaze1021

@shaneoh What do you mean "nope", don't get turned off because it's game theory, he makes great points and explanations about this topic.

Blaze1021

ultek

Funny thing because 80% games on switch are ports from different consoles which already have achievements implemented

Diablo 3 - SW-3491-9441-5428

shaneoh

@Blaze1021
Nope I'm not watching the video because you've explicitly signed up to try and get us to watch the video. Nope because I'm sure it's filled with the same arguments that have already been brought up in this thread which have failed to convince me otherwise. Nope because reasons against achievements that have already been listed.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

brickofthewild

I owned a 360 once and didnt like the achievement system in general - I remember playing the orange box and one achievement wanted you to carry garden gnome throughout the whole episode 2 - wow ! I think developers create some stupid achievements just to see how many stupid people actually do this poop.

IMO an achievement system should be better designed and provide some serious rewards and not just a badge.
Hopefully Nintendo wont jump on that wagon.
watch the language, please...-Joey

Edited on by Joeynator3000

brickofthewild

Scrummer

I get the feeling that, in the Lichtspeer AMA, one of the developer's saying achievements were coming might have been a publicity stunt.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

TuVictus

Probably. I'd rather Nintendo finish the Switch and it's whole plan before they start trying to do something else as big as system wide achievements. That can wait, I'd rather things like video capturing and the eshop be fixed.

TuVictus

Gorbash333

I'm honestly surprised there's any negative feedback concerning Achievements, not because they're "SO GREAT!" or anything. I just thing anything like this that can be added should be. The Switch is already a great success, and I want that to continue, and if this helps I'm all for it. Besides, someday in the distant future I will be out of games to play (due to funds before lack of choices at this rate) and maybe I'll wanna "100%" a game. More options, in gaming, is rarely a bad thing.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."
Fire Emblem Heroes ID: 6169878641
Animal Crossing Pocket Camp ID: 2267 5362 394
Super Mario Run ID: 7751-0544-7394
Switch ID: SW-2850-4667-2503

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.