Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,101 to 7,120 of 12,088

Zuljaras

@WoomyNNYes He is just butthurt that many people called him a cheater in AC article today.

I even think most people call him that just because it is funny to see his reaction and wall of text boring explanations of how necessary it is to play the game like that

jump

Yeah, the contradictions and irony in the defences he posts are funny. Stuff like he hasn’t got enough real life time to play the game so he needs to time travel to be able to play it for hundreds of hours.

Thing is people aren’t really saying @Anti-Matter shouldn’t cheat, they are saying he is cheating but he’s getting so worked up over it he can’t see the forest through the trees.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

dionysos283

I really don't get the appeal of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.
I admire what the devs tried to achieve with this game: namely to put you in the shoe's of a psychotic person. But the game is just no fun to play at all. The controls are clunky (especially the camera), Senua walks way too slow (even while running), the environmental puzzles manage to be repetitive, while also being frustrating, and the combat system is just awful button smashing. After the first boss fight my right hand was cramping. And on the Switch the game also looks downright ugly.

Edited on by dionysos283

dionysos283

kkslider5552000

NEStalgia wrote:

Unpopular opinion #1: Chocobo Mystery Dungeon is a substantially better series than Pokemon Mystery Dungeon which feels disorganized, unfocused, and ultimately based on asset re-use. Chocobo Mystery feels like an actual fleshed out game.

I played the Wii Chocobo Mystery Dungeon for a few hours back in the day. Do you ever get more than your one party member? Because if you don't, I reject this idea entirely.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NotTelevision

@dionysos283 I didn’t play the Switch version, but I feel like your criticism of this game is on point. I didn’t feel like the game really put you into the mind of this character all that well. The puzzles where you have to line up the runes were supposed to mirror Senua’s mental state, but they didn’t feel that way. They felt like silly gameplay interludes that were more annoying than intriguing. The combat felt like God of War lite, without any unique embellishments.

There were two sections worthy of mention though. That boss fight in total darkness was suitably terrifying, mainly because you didn’t feel like you were in total control of the situation. I’d say the game works best when it throws you for a loop and makes you feel uncomfortable. Most of the time it’s stuff you’ve feel like you’ve seen in other AAA games though.

I would also say the ending has a good emotional payoff, but it can’t really redeem the overall mundane final hour.

NotTelevision

Magician

Animal Crossing: NH and Zelda: BotW are the biggest disappointments of this generation of consoles.

The more I see games using item degradation as a game mechanic the less I like it.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BinaryMessiah

Magician wrote:

Animal Crossing: NH and Zelda: BotW are the biggest disappointments of this generation of consoles.

The more I see games using item degradation as a game mechanic the less I like it.

I think you just don't like those types of games. They are both solid and I don't care for Animal Crossing and I have yet to really get into BotW. If you judge the games just on item degradation you should probably look a little deeper. Item degradation is common in a lot of games.

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

Reynoblade

Not sure these are unpopular opinions around these parts of the internet, but here goes:

• Brawl is the second best Smash game, above Melee but below Ultimate
  • Super Mario works best within linear levels
  • Most Rare games are highly overrated

I think the first two are self-explanatory but I'd like to give a bit more insight into my third "unpopular opinion". First off, I'm not saying they're bad games, far from it, but they're so often loaded with praise that I feel people tend to forget the things that weren't so great about them. From DKC's way too tough difficulty, the endless collect-a-thon madness in their 3D platformers in which you have to go back-and-forth with different power-ups or characters padding the game out for way too long, the horrible controls in Conker's Bad Fur Day, the need to save every single NPC in Jet Force Gemini,... I honestly could go on.

I've never played a single Rare game that didn't seriously bother me at some aspect of it to the point I couldn't enjoy the game to its fullest. Again, they're far from bad, but I believe too many people are looking at these games with rose-tinted glasses.

Reynoblade

Euler

Magician wrote:

Can't speak for Animal Crossing but for Zelda I think weapon durability isn't so bad, and it's actually a clever progression system. It subtly ensures that you can’t ravage a camp full of silver enemies right off the bat. But as you go, you’ll gradually get better and better weapons to destroy them easily. Weapons come and go but if you were to take a screenshot of your weapon inventory once a week throughout your entire playthrough, it would improve continuously. This is basically how it works in all other Zelda games. Durability also forces more strategy, as you must decide whether to use your good weapons on this fight or to save them for a tougher one later on. The power-up inventory in Super Mario Bros. 3 (of all places) used this mechanic well and makes for a deeper gameplay experience.

To get an idea of how game-breaking an infinite durability sword would be, one need only complete the Trial of the Sword to fully upgrade the Master Sword. The fully-upgraded Master Sword can still break (in which case it needs to recharge) but it lasts an incredibly long time. You can easily take out any boss or enemy camp with it, multiple guardians, etc and it's more powerful than all but a select few weapons. Once you've unlocked it, you'll rarely use anything else. But it's an "Infinity + 1 sword" that only the best players can use, usually unlocked mid-late game. That is to say, it's so hard to get that if you're good enough to do so, there's no way in hell you'd even need it because you're bound to be swimming in royal/royal guard/savage lynel weapons anyway. If everyone that finished the Great Plateau were awarded a much weaker weapon (say, 1/4 as much damage) with similar durability ("Decayed Master Sword" or "Apprentice Sword"), it would defeat the purpose of most other weapons and mess up the progression system (as bosses and enemies would be much easier to defeat early on).

Edited on by Euler

Euler

Dogorilla

Yeah, weapon durability is a good thing in Breath of the Wild. It can be annoying at times, but if weapons didn't break then you'd just find a good one then use that for the whole game, which would make the combat a lot less varied.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

BruceCM

Hmm, I think you'd naturally replace weapons with better ones .... While most of the decent ones seemed similar enough to each other they didn't really make combat different Perhaps they should have made weapons rather more durable & not provided so many of them?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NEStalgia

@Anti-Matter I agree with that. I can understand the charm, especially for kids, but that's something that has always been frustrating with AC....it's a video game that expects you to plan your life around it. That doesn't work after age 8 or so.... I'm surprised they haven't included some way to make it suit people's lives more. I get that it's partly the design but.....it basically means the only time I ever see my island is at night, I miss most daytime events, most special events, and then when I do have time to play, I have to wait another day for resource respawn. ACNH added a ton of further irritation, but that's one thing that's always been an issue for AC.

@kkslider5552000 One party member and one slave buddy. But the overall structure of the game is much more "game-like" than the somewhat chaotic quest system of "go to the following 5 floors of the 20 floor dungeon you already played through 4 times and touch more tiles." Though the difficulty can also have ultra frustrating spikes.

@Magician Item degradation is controversial but very functional in BotW. Because items are everywhere, it's no big deal to just keep an inventory and keep switching them around, and it gives lots of chances to try lots of things. Once you get the Master Sword, a lot of that stops being as important anyway. Item degradation in ACNH on the other hand obliterates the fun, chill, play world where everything is so much more perfect than in real life. "#$@ it the HDMI switch broke AGAIN!?!? I just replaced that @#@# thing twice in 3 years!!!" gets transcribed into gameplay, now with 300% more resource grinding.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@BruceCM That would just become a Diablo-like system and you'd need tons of varied loot. BotW keeps things elegant and simple where the complexity kind of comes from how you just do to it rather than "TP-ing to Town and spending half an hour comparing numbers"

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Huh? Why would you need tons of varied loot for my suggestion .... ? Less weapons, that last longer. Simple!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Reynoblade

@BruceCM
I agree with you. The durability on weapons is way too short in BotW and I never liked the execution of it in BotW.

While not a bad concept, there are numerous ways to improve it. First of all, I'd increase the durability of each weapon by at least a factor of two. Secondly, I'd give a clear indication on how long your weapon is going to last. And finally, I'd make it possible to fix weapons outside of combat.

It would erase a lot of frustration if you ask me.

Reynoblade

DenDen

Devils third whas the best game and most fun game what released on the Wii U.
I think I clocked in over 700 hours the multiplayer whas so amazing, and the story way over the top.

3D sonic games are more fun then the 2D ones.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

BruceCM

Yeah, it didn't ruin the game for me, or anything, since there always were plenty of weapons, @Shulkalot but it was a bit of a pain.... I got the hang of throwing them at enemies when they were getting weak, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

Shambo

I think more games should have options to play them in a "vegan" way. Where for example cooking and crafting can be entirely done without animal products, as in real life. I'm thinking of Far Cry series and Assassin's Creed series now, for example. I don't want to have to kill 10 tigers or harpoon 5 whales to their death (or buy the skins) in order to get an upgrade to a pouch to hold some ammo, only to then unlock the next upgrade requiring double the amount of even more specific animals. And I'm sure many people that eat animals in real life even dislike whaling and other forms of hunting, and know that they'd easily (and much safer than hunting tigers and whales, and in reality with much less work and specific knowledge and tools required) be able to craft something to hold some equipment from palm leafs or whatever.

Also, the monster in Carrion isn't necessarily "the bad guy" (the humans are definitely not "innocent"), the Wii was a great primary console with plenty of diverse and great games, and Playstation 1 and 2 controllers are awful. I'm sure there's a lot more, as I tend to have some pretty unpopular opinions.

Shambo

3DS Friend Code: 0473-7756-7818 | Nintendo Network ID: Shambo

Zuljaras

@Shambo Yours is probably the most Unpopular gaming opinion I have ever heard/seen

But judging from your avatar picture and your profile I guess you are a hardcore vegan so it makes sense for you to demand such games.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic