Forums

Topic: How will SOPA affect video game review/forum sites?

Posts 181 to 200 of 241

Rensch

Most of the world's leading sites are US-based. Think of YouTube, Facebook or Reddit, for example. If they get taken down, even us outside of the US are deeply affected by it. MegaUpload was used by many people outside of the US as well. It made up like 4% of the WHOLE internet. It was one of the most popular sites on the planet. Just think about that for a moment.

Apperently, they don't even need SOPA/PIPA in the first place. Imagine how much ground the US government would have on top of that if these bills had been passed.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

LordTendoboy

Youtube and Facebook will never get taken down. They're backed up by giant corporations that have lots of money. Youtube is owned by Google, and Facebook is the largest social networking site in the world.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
[...

LzWinky

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

You know what? At some point these "freedoms" people are going to have to wake up and smell the paranoia. It's more embarrasing the Braveheart now.

Hehe, perhaps they forget that every man was NEVER created equally in the US. Don't believe me? Ask the homosexuals

They have an overinflated sense of "freedom" that honestly never existed in this country

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bankai

Lordlz wrote:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

You know what? At some point these "freedoms" people are going to have to wake up and smell the paranoia. It's more embarrasing the Braveheart now.

Hehe, perhaps they forget that every man was NEVER created equally in the US. Don't believe me? Ask the homosexuals

They have an overinflated sense of "freedom" that honestly never existed in this country

I still don't undersand why people seem to think the Internet should be an anti-corporate anarchy. Corporations are on balance a good thing, and anarchy is on balanace a stupid philosophy.

LzWinky

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Lordlz wrote:

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

I still don't undersand why people seem to think the Internet should be an anti-corporate anarchy. Corporations are on balance a good thing, and anarchy is on balanace a stupid philosophy.

It is quite ironic considering corporations like Google pretty much run the internet

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

any attempt at getting rid of anarchy on the internet is pointless. I would be fine, or at worst tolerate a well written bill against piracy but at the end of the day, it's not gonna make a huge difference.

But screw this bill even after any revisions because of how much transparently ignorant or greedy the people supporting it are (for the most part at least).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Usagi-san

WolfRamHeart wrote:

Well, SOPA and PIPA may have been shelved but there is a new bill called ACTA that is possibly a even bigger threat than SOPA/PIPA ever was. What is worse is that ACTA doesn't just affect the United States but the entire world: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/01/23/if-you-though...

Ever thought that the people shouting "stop <Insert law to combat internet piracy>!" are actually pirates pushing their own agenda? Say "down with the Stop Internet Piracy Act!" out loud instead of hiding behind acronyms and see if that makes any sense.

Honestly, Internet piracy is a genuine problem. SOPA and PIPA may have not have been perfect but we don't need people turning every attempt to stop illegal downloads into an attack on the freedom of the internet. Sheesh.

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

Tare

An interesting take and frankly one I agree with.
Skip to 1:06
[youtube:pLC_zZ5fqFk]

Thaaaaaanks for noticin' me.

Usagi-san

@Tare: I don't get it? What do you agree with? He's not talking about copyright and anti-piracy laws when he says "copy protection".
I've heard the "provide better service" strategy before and am pretty sure it's what people have been saying the music industry needs to do for a while, but I'm still not sure I see what you're getting at.

Edited on by Usagi-san

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

The_Fox

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Yep. It's greedy to try and protect your right to earn money from the IP you produce. Very greedy indeed.

When you try to force a broken piece of legislation that would do long term damage to the internet while falsifying and inflating the impact that piracy has I would say that greedy isn't much of a stretch.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Bankai

long term damage to the internet

Because the Internet is a completely wholesome and just place right now. Hats off to anyone who tries to fix it, frankly. If that pisses off the people who are currently benefitting from the anarchy, so be it.

Al Swearengen wasn't actually a hero, you know?

falsifying and inflating the impact that piracy has

I apologise. I didn't realise you were the accountant for a media company and were therefore in the position to comment on the impact piracy has on the bottom line.

The_Fox

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

long term damage to the internet

Because the Internet is a completely wholesome and just place right now. Hats off to anyone who tries to fix it, frankly. If that pisses off the people who are currently benefitting from the anarchy, so be it.

All a matter of perspective. I'd rather have anarchy than a wholesome alternative in regards to the internet.

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

Al Swearengen wasn't actually a hero, you know?

Maybe to pimps.

PolkaDotChocobo wrote:

I apologise. I didn't realise you were the accountant for a media company and were therefore in the position to comment on the impact piracy has on the bottom line.

Of course I'm not. You want to know how you can tell I'm mot? Because I'm not pulling random figures out of my a** without solid evidence to back it up. And unlike they would have you believe 1 illegal download does not necessarily equal 1 lost sale.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Chrono_Cross

1 illegal download does not necessarily equal 1 lost sale.

Exactly.

My brother downloaded Minecraft illegally as he claimed "Notch said it's okay in his blog." Wasn't my problem as I played it as I thought it was unique. Loved it in the end and now Notch has my money. I might even get it on Xbox 360 whenever it releases.

Sometimes it's a good thing, you know?

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

sykotek

Untitled

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

theblackdragon

@Viewtiful_Joe: Unfortunately, the exception (you) does not make the rule. You may have paid the dev, but your brother still hasn't, and the illegal download still happened in the first place.

That said, if we could keep from tales of personal piracy on the forums (remember the rules, plz), it would be much appreciated. We don't need anecdotal evidence, it's time for people to start bringing facts to the table.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Chrono_Cross

But he bought it too. Hence the fact we don't live in the same house and he enjoys it more than I do lol. But yes, no more of this stuff from me.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.