Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 381 to 400 of 771

Joeynator3000

Ok, someone isn't really helping me with this, so I'm coming here to ask you guys who aren't always stubborn. Fortune Street is making me wanna get into Dragon Quest, and the best bet for me to get into them are the DS games. (while this other person keeps telling me to start with 1- 3..)

....ANNNNYWAYS, should I just go with the newest DQ game on the DS, or what? xD

Edited on by theblackdragon

insert reason for avi change here
YES I MAKE STUPID MISTAKES CONSTANTLY, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
ZOMG YOUTUBE!!!
TUMBLR!!!
A totally safe and not random link.
Lzeon's name is here because he's a big meanie poopy head, and Megumi is smexy.

Twitter:

Nightwalker

Eureka wrote:

....ANNNNYWAYS, should I just go with the newest DQ game on the DS, or what? xD

Well, if you decide to start playing the Dragon Quest series on the DS, you have several titles (DQIV, DQV, DQVI, DQIX, DQ Monsers (1 & 2))... I'd recommend that you play them, since I was also one to get into DQ on the DS (not having any other DQ game on another console), but I didn't feel "lost" at all... Just play them numerically (they are very loosely connected to each other), and you won't regret it (the sixth part being my absolute favorite ).

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

RevolverLink

Honestly, you can play them in any order you want; the battle system doesn't change much save for some tweaks from entry to entry and the DQ series is much like Final Fantasy in that the stories aren't directly related and there's no overarching plot that you need to pay attention to (IV-VI are very loosely connected because they feature a location called Zenithia, but you would't be missing out on anything even if you played them backwards).

There really isn't a wrong answer here, you should just go with whichever game sounds most interesting to you. As for my personal recommendation, VIII was the first one I played and it's still my favorite, so get that if you have a PS2. But if not, and the DS is the only way to go, I've played IV, V and IX (I do plan on getting to VI eventually); I really liked all three, but I enjoyed V's more personal story and monster taming element the most.

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Suikoden II
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Joeynator3000

Yeah I was looking around on IGN and saw that 5 was the one that started to do this whole Pokemon thing, which grabbed my attention. xD
Might go with that one, lol
EDIT: Eh, guess I'll hunt this down some other time...one of the stores didn't have V. Maybe later this week when I can go into town myself. Do any of the later games have the monster taming feature? (besides Monsters, lol)

Edited on by Joeynator3000

insert reason for avi change here
YES I MAKE STUPID MISTAKES CONSTANTLY, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
ZOMG YOUTUBE!!!
TUMBLR!!!
A totally safe and not random link.
Lzeon's name is here because he's a big meanie poopy head, and Megumi is smexy.

Twitter:

RevolverLink

To my knowledge (and I'm hardly a DQ expert), the series sort of split itself into the main series branch and the separate Monsters branch after V introduced recruit-able monsters, although VIII does have an extensive monster battling sidequest and I think VI allows you to recruit Slime enemies into your party.

You could always try Amazon if you're having trouble finding a copy at local stores. I'm pretty sure new copies of V, and most of the other DS releases, have become pretty cheap there.

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Suikoden II
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Joeynator3000

Alright, yeah I saw Gamestop's prices and, bleh... xD
Alright, decided to nab V on Amazon, they had some "super saver shipping" thing going on, so I'm getting it tomorrow. xD

Edited on by Joeynator3000

insert reason for avi change here
YES I MAKE STUPID MISTAKES CONSTANTLY, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
ZOMG YOUTUBE!!!
TUMBLR!!!
A totally safe and not random link.
Lzeon's name is here because he's a big meanie poopy head, and Megumi is smexy.

Twitter:

Gamesake

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies or Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light?

...in my pants.

CanisWolfred

Eureka wrote:

Alright, yeah I saw Gamestop's prices and, bleh... xD
Alright, decided to nab V on Amazon, they had some "super saver shipping" thing going on, so I'm getting it tomorrow. xD

...you say that like they don't always have Super Saver Shipping.:/

@Gamesake

Of course you had to ask the hardest question. I guess I'd suggest Dragon Quest IX, simply because it has more content.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Joeynator3000

GundamMac wrote:

Eureka wrote:

Alright, yeah I saw Gamestop's prices and, bleh... xD
Alright, decided to nab V on Amazon, they had some "super saver shipping" thing going on, so I'm getting it tomorrow. xD

...you say that like they don't always have Super Saver Shipping.:/

@Gamesake

Of course you had to ask the hardest question. I guess I'd suggest Dragon Quest IX, simply because it has more content.

lol well I don't buy from them often, so yeah...xD

insert reason for avi change here
YES I MAKE STUPID MISTAKES CONSTANTLY, LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
ZOMG YOUTUBE!!!
TUMBLR!!!
A totally safe and not random link.
Lzeon's name is here because he's a big meanie poopy head, and Megumi is smexy.

Twitter:

Nightwalker

Gamesake wrote:

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies or Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light?

DQIX. It has way more content than FF.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

JustAnotherUser

@ZeroX I don't own either but I would have to say Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Mainly for the Pokewalker, having a Pokemon follow behind you and it's a remake of the Johto and Kanto regions.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

RevolverLink

@ZeroX It depends. If you haven't played the original Gold/Silver, I'd say go with the remakes, since they're still my favorite games in the series and it has the largest quest. But if you have played them, I'd say go with Black/White; they're the freshest entries the series has had since, well, Gold/Silver.

@Retro_on_theGo Retro Game Challenge has a few old-school style schmups that I found pretty fun. Plus the rest of the game is pretty enjoyable too (I love me some Haggle Man).

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Suikoden II
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

ThePirateCaptain

GundamMac wrote:

iPancakez wrote:

I think i'm going to get Lufia II: Curse of the Sinistrals. Anyone have any thoughts on that game?

Have you played the SNES version?

No, I hadn't heard of the series until I saw an article in Nintendo Power about this DS remake.

VISIT MY NEW BLOG 16-Bit Heaven.
Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Nightwalker

^
I also haven't played Lufia on the SNES, and yet it was one of the first games on my DS. A good, although a bit on the short side t, action RPG, which will entertain you until you finish the story, and nothing more. (:

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic