DSi / DS Forum

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Showing 381 to 400 of 748

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

381. Posted:

Ok, someone isn't really helping me with this, so I'm coming here to ask you guys who aren't always stubborn. Fortune Street is making me wanna get into Dragon Quest, and the best bet for me to get into them are the DS games. (while this other person keeps telling me to start with 1- 3..)

....ANNNNYWAYS, should I just go with the newest DQ game on the DS, or what? xD

Edited on by theblackdragon

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

Nightwalker

382. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

....ANNNNYWAYS, should I just go with the newest DQ game on the DS, or what? xD

Well, if you decide to start playing the Dragon Quest series on the DS, you have several titles (DQIV, DQV, DQVI, DQIX, DQ Monsers (1 & 2))... I'd recommend that you play them, since I was also one to get into DQ on the DS (not having any other DQ game on another console), but I didn't feel "lost" at all... Just play them numerically (they are very loosely connected to each other), and you won't regret it (the sixth part being my absolute favorite :)).

Edited on by Nightwalker

Only a Sith deals in absolutes!

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

383. Posted:

Honestly, you can play them in any order you want; the battle system doesn't change much save for some tweaks from entry to entry and the DQ series is much like Final Fantasy in that the stories aren't directly related and there's no overarching plot that you need to pay attention to (IV-VI are very loosely connected because they feature a location called Zenithia, but you would't be missing out on anything even if you played them backwards).

There really isn't a wrong answer here, you should just go with whichever game sounds most interesting to you. As for my personal recommendation, VIII was the first one I played and it's still my favorite, so get that if you have a PS2. But if not, and the DS is the only way to go, I've played IV, V and IX (I do plan on getting to VI eventually); I really liked all three, but I enjoyed V's more personal story and monster taming element the most.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

Nightwalker

384. Posted:

@RevolverLink : DO buy Realms of Revelation! :D

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

385. Posted:

@Nightwalker : It's getting pretty cheap now, but I still have so many RPGs I need to finish!

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

386. Posted:

Yeah I was looking around on IGN and saw that 5 was the one that started to do this whole Pokemon thing, which grabbed my attention. xD
Might go with that one, lol
EDIT: Eh, guess I'll hunt this down some other time...one of the stores didn't have V. Maybe later this week when I can go into town myself. Do any of the later games have the monster taming feature? (besides Monsters, lol)

Edited on by Xiao_Pai

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

387. Posted:

To my knowledge (and I'm hardly a DQ expert), the series sort of split itself into the main series branch and the separate Monsters branch after V introduced recruit-able monsters, although VIII does have an extensive monster battling sidequest and I think VI allows you to recruit Slime enemies into your party.

You could always try Amazon if you're having trouble finding a copy at local stores. I'm pretty sure new copies of V, and most of the other DS releases, have become pretty cheap there.

The Revloggery

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

388. Posted:

Alright, yeah I saw Gamestop's prices and, bleh... xD
Alright, decided to nab V on Amazon, they had some "super saver shipping" thing going on, so I'm getting it tomorrow. xD

Edited on by Xiao_Pai

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

389. Posted:

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies or Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light?

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

390. Posted:

Eureka wrote:

Alright, decided to nab V on Amazon, they had some "super saver shipping" thing going on, so I'm getting it tomorrow. xD

...you say that like they don't always have Super Saver Shipping.:/

@Gamesake

Of course you had to ask the hardest question. I guess I'd suggest Dragon Quest IX, simply because it has more content.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

391. Posted:

GundamMac wrote:

Eureka wrote:

...you say that like they don't always have Super Saver Shipping.:/

@Gamesake

Of course you had to ask the hardest question. I guess I'd suggest Dragon Quest IX, simply because it has more content.

lol well I don't buy from them often, so yeah...xD

AuthorMessage

Nightwalker

392. Posted:

Gamesake wrote:

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies or Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light?

DQIX. It has way more content than FF.

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

393. Posted:

I think i'm going to get Lufia II: Curse of the Sinistrals. Anyone have any thoughts on that game?

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

GuardianKing

394. Posted:

pokemon heartgold/soulsilver or black/white

NL RPG Season 2
DA Profile
StarShip Crusader Tumblr
Fantasy Loggery
Video Game I made: Chosen Words
Melody Astra Avatar
Former Morpheus Avatar courtesy of Gummio. :3
"I am the wise wolf. Which is exactly why I am aware that there are some thing even I don't know." ~ Holo, Spice & Wolf

3DS Friend Code: 5258-0260-8594 | Nintendo Network ID: GuardianKing | Twitter: BeastlyDigital

AuthorMessage

JustAnotherUser

395. Posted:

@ZeroX I don't own either but I would have to say Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver.
Mainly for the Pokewalker, having a Pokemon follow behind you and it's a remake of the Johto and Kanto regions.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

396. Posted:

iPancakez wrote:

I think i'm going to get Lufia II: Curse of the Sinistrals. Anyone have any thoughts on that game?

Have you played the SNES version?

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

397. Posted:

Can anyone recommended some good quality shmups for the DS aside from the Nano Stray games? Difficulty is no problem with me as long as it's not incredibly unfair.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

398. Posted:

@ZeroX It depends. If you haven't played the original Gold/Silver, I'd say go with the remakes, since they're still my favorite games in the series and it has the largest quest. But if you have played them, I'd say go with Black/White; they're the freshest entries the series has had since, well, Gold/Silver.

@Retro_on_theGo Retro Game Challenge has a few old-school style schmups that I found pretty fun. Plus the rest of the game is pretty enjoyable too (I love me some Haggle Man).

The Revloggery

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

399. Posted:

GundamMac wrote:

iPancakez wrote:

Have you played the SNES version?

No, I hadn't heard of the series until I saw an article in Nintendo Power about this DS remake.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

Nightwalker

400. Posted:

^
I also haven't played Lufia on the SNES, and yet it was one of the first games on my DS. A good, although a bit on the short side t, action RPG, which will entertain you until you finish the story, and nothing more. (:

Edited on by Nightwalker