Forums

Topic: amiibo

Posts 201 to 220 of 1,777

turmeric16

muftu wrote:

DestinyMan wrote:

The Smash Bros. figure of a character is compatible with any of the non-Smash Bros. games. The design of the figure makes no difference. It just depends on what design you would like to use.

It is compatible yet it won't be able to really interact with the game. These amiibo figures are smash amiibos. That is more than just it's art design. Amiibo is an interactive toy that should have some in-game use. And the smash amiibos are made for smash - programmed for smash. The end. There is no real functionality for any other game. Your amiibo will remember what happened in smash bros, but outside of smash it's functionality will be very limited. First of all, the figurine will not remember anything outside of smash, because that is how it is designed. There are two chunks of memory, one part is used for smash, the other part identifies the figurine. So other games will recognize your mario as mario, but that is about it. That also means that there is no more storage for any other game. The cross-game real functionality is busted. Because they will maybe unlock some music or skins or whatever, but they will not be my buddies in MK8 because they are not made for MK8. And as so they do not have to announce any functionality in other games because that tells me already that if the figurine won't remember anything, it will not have any real purpose. That is unless you buy another figurine made for other franchises that will be able to interact with a different game.

Not my words - that is what nintendo confirmed: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/e3-2014-nintendo-on-am...

But we won't really know if the smash amiibo aren't fully compatible with other games until they announce how amiibo will be used in those games. Nintendo is making it sound like the smash amiibo can be fully used in other games.

turmeric16

3DS Friend Code: 2122-5418-3396 | Nintendo Network ID: ejvirzi | Twitter:

Octane

ejvirzi wrote:

muftu wrote:

DestinyMan wrote:

The Smash Bros. figure of a character is compatible with any of the non-Smash Bros. games. The design of the figure makes no difference. It just depends on what design you would like to use.

It is compatible yet it won't be able to really interact with the game. These amiibo figures are smash amiibos. That is more than just it's art design. Amiibo is an interactive toy that should have some in-game use. And the smash amiibos are made for smash - programmed for smash. The end. There is no real functionality for any other game. Your amiibo will remember what happened in smash bros, but outside of smash it's functionality will be very limited. First of all, the figurine will not remember anything outside of smash, because that is how it is designed. There are two chunks of memory, one part is used for smash, the other part identifies the figurine. So other games will recognize your mario as mario, but that is about it. That also means that there is no more storage for any other game. The cross-game real functionality is busted. Because they will maybe unlock some music or skins or whatever, but they will not be my buddies in MK8 because they are not made for MK8. And as so they do not have to announce any functionality in other games because that tells me already that if the figurine won't remember anything, it will not have any real purpose. That is unless you buy another figurine made for other franchises that will be able to interact with a different game.

Not my words - that is what nintendo confirmed: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/12/e3-2014-nintendo-on-am...

But we won't really know if the smash amiibo aren't fully compatible with other games until they announce how amiibo will be used in those games. Nintendo is making it sound like the smash amiibo can be fully used in other games.

I'm sorry to say, but..

Miyamoto: ''So for example, if you look at the Mario amiibo from the Smash Bros. line, it's the Smash Bros. Mario, which is a little bit different from the normal Mario. We'll probably prepare a more standard Mario family line of amiibo characters that includes your typical Mario designs and typical Peach designs. Those figures would be the ones you use with Mario Party 10 or potentially with Mario Kart 8.''

To me it seems that the Smash Bros. Mario isn't compatible with Mario Kart 8 / Mario Party 10.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

rockodoodle

Octane wrote:

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

Okay, let's speculate about what the amiibos do in Mario Kart 8! I think that each one may unlock some sort of new car part to use.

Nintendo already confirmed that amiibo will not be used to unlock new content; it's not like DLC.

i have mixed emotions about this. On the one hand, I see what Nindento's point would be- it could end up being very expensive to have the entire game experience with these, and I think Nintendo truly wants to provide affordable gaming experiences. I wouldn't mind getting something more on the game out of it for my money. OTOH, the functionality of these sounds pretty lame. I'll get three of them for sure- Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Star Fox.

rockodoodle

turmeric16

Octane wrote:

I'm sorry to say, but..

Miyamoto: ''So for example, if you look at the Mario amiibo from the Smash Bros. line, it's the Smash Bros. Mario, which is a little bit different from the normal Mario. We'll probably prepare a more standard Mario family line of amiibo characters that includes your typical Mario designs and typical Peach designs. Those figures would be the ones you use with Mario Party 10 or potentially with Mario Kart 8.''

To me it seems that the Smash Bros. Mario isn't compatible with Mario Kart 8 / Mario Party 10.

I tried to be optimistic. I wish they would just tell us what the functionality will be with these things. I would only buy 1 or 2 if they work across different games, like they initially said. That is the only appealing thing to me, besides how nice looking they are, and the only thing that differentiates amiibo from skylanders/disney infinity.

turmeric16

unrandomsam

I dunno how people can think the best computer AI for Smash Bros is not unlocking more content.

I always prefer initially to practice against something that doesn't make stupid mistakes.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

xj220_afiles

I just noticed, on Amazon.ca (in Canada) the 12 first places of the top 100 in VideoGame and Computer are Amiibos only.

xj220_afiles

Grumblevolcano

unrandomsam wrote:

I dunno how people can think the best computer AI for Smash Bros is not unlocking more content.

I always prefer initially to practice against something that doesn't make stupid mistakes.

Is it confirmed though that the highest level Amiibo is more skilled than level 9 cpu? I don't remember but if it isn't then it could be that they are equivalent.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

turmeric16

Grumblevolcano wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

Is it confirmed though that the highest level Amiibo is more skilled than level 9 cpu? I don't remember but if it isn't then it could be that they are equivalent.

I believe the amiibo can go up to Lv. 50.

Untitled

Edited on by turmeric16

turmeric16

muftu

ejvirzi wrote:

I tried to be optimistic. I wish they would just tell us what the functionality will be with these things. I would only buy 1 or 2 if they work across different games, like they initially said. That is the only appealing thing to me, besides how nice looking they are, and the only thing that differentiates amiibo from skylanders/disney infinity.

Me too, I went through my skylanders craze back when the first game came out and I was ready to jump in toy collecting craze because it was appealing that I can use them in many games at once. So far it looks like I won't. And that is a deal breaker. But I am still looking forward to a Nintendo Direct that will explain it to me how wrong I am right now. Until then, no amiibo figures for me.

FC: 0731-6199-4722

Grumblevolcano

ejvirzi wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

I believe the amiibo can go up to Lv. 50.

Untitled

I know that but is Lv. 50 Amiibo better than Lv. 9 CPU? I was thinking maybe the increase in difficulty for Amiibo levels may be much smaller than that of CPUs.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

unrandomsam

Grumblevolcano wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

I am pretty certain that was stated in the Smash Bros Direct or something similarly official. (Think it was the direct but I cannot be bothered watching it all again to be certain).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

faint

unrandomsam wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

unrandomsam wrote:

I am pretty certain that was stated in the Smash Bros Direct or something similarly official. (Think it was the direct but I cannot be bothered watching it all again to be certain).

no need to worry. the best ssb ai will always be available in cruel brawl mode.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Grumblevolcano

I've given up with my original plan for just the Fire Emblem Amiibo, of the announced Smash characters I'll be getting:

• Marth
  • Ike
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Yoshi
  • Sonic
  • Fox
  • Captain Falcon

Add to that Diddy Kong if it makes him playable in Mario Kart 8.

Grumblevolcano

Octane

gage_wolf wrote:

rockodoodle wrote:

...I think Nintendo truly wants to provide affordable gaming experiences. I wouldn't mind getting something more on the game out of it for my money.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Exhibit A: VC pricing - totally insanely expensive.
Exhibit B: Nintendo games almost never go on sale. Skyward Sword came out 3 years ago, it's still full price.
Exhibit C: "New" 3DS - instead of offering upgrades to your existing 3DS they expect you to BUY a new one along with new memory cards.

Make no mistake - Nintendo products are luxury items for gaming snobs (myself included).

Cannot comment on the VC pricing, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However, it's not Nintendo's fault when their games are still full priced. Their games sell well, thus the retailers will leave the price as it is. It also depends on where you live, I guess. As I know plenty of stores that sell Skyward Sword for around €30.00 or less (original full price; €50.00).

About the New 3DS, I've seen many comments saying something like ''What!? I just bought a 3DS, are they expecting me to buy another system?'' I do want to say that the 3DS has been out for 4 years when the New 3DS will arrive. New 3DS isn't the next generation, they'll still support the original 3DS, some titles will be exclusive to the New 3DS, but not all. It's like the DSi, although its exclusives are negligible. Thus, this doesn't mean the end of the original 3DS. Let's compare this though with the GameBoy Colour; released in 1998, but was replaced by the GBA in 2001. An entire generation that lasted only 3 years... The GBA had the same fate, it was replaced by the DS in 2004. We've seen a lot worse in the past, and nobody complained back then.

I do agree that Nintendo products aren't inexpensive, they are indeed luxury products, and you're definitely paying for the Nintendo brand as well.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Octane

gage_wolf wrote:

Octane wrote:

All these quotes really say nothing at all. Miyamoto heavily references the Mario Amiibo, which I find problematic simply because Mario's functionality cannot be similar to say Wii Fit Trainer or Pit from Kid Icarus since those characters don't cross over into anything else, or for Pit's case he's not even in any other Wii U titles. I can't help but feel these will be rather pointless outside of the specific game they are created for. They're gonna generically hold stats or data of some kind but there is no way each unique character is going to implement some new feature for every game they utilize. Miyamoto talks about wanting to do Giant Robot Amiibos or the Arwing from Starfox, but says so as if he has no idea what the functionality is. What could these possibly do outside of their distinctive games? I scan an Arwing into Captain Toad... and what happens? I scan a Giant Robot into Mario Party 10... and what happens? This is all going to branch off into messy explanations like "No. you need THIS Amiibo to do THAT." Simplicity Nintendo, simplicity! Where has it gone!?

I think they should've branded the amiibo with a specific game logo from the beginning. Just one Mario, make him look like the generic Mario and make him functional in the games where you'd expect it to be functional. Still, it's going to be complicated nevertheless. I'm really curious how it'll turn out in the end when the amiibo are released, and when they'll release the games that support amiibo.

Octane

jariw

It was in the e3 online event, when they presented the Amiibos where they said it went to level 50 in Smash.

FWIW, according the Swedish distributor of Nintendo, the games that they say are known to support Amiibos are: Smash, Captain Toad, Mario Party 10, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Kart 8. They also say that more info on the Amiibo will appear shortly.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

Knux

It's interesting that Amazon shows that the Marth and Villager amiibos are already out of stock even though the Link amiibo is the best seller. I'm guessing that Nintendo is stocking more amiibos depending on the character?

Knux

PinkSpider

I'm having my doubts the more I think of Amiibo, skylanders worked because you bought a figure and it appeared in your game, and you took control of that figure and fought and levelled up. Nintendo really need to give me something more. I don't care for smash bros use it seems pointless. What they need is a game like skylanders but even better but with nintendo characters then I would be instantly sold. If I buy these figures it will be as a collection piece only not to use them in a game. I hope nintendo show something soon as time is slowly approaching and if they want to sell them which I don't think they will. They need to give consumers something. Hopefully an Amiibo direct is coming

3DS Friend code : 2878 9572 9160 PinkSpider
Mario Kart 7 Community code : 54 7436 5412 6010
Wii U I.D : PinkSpider

Drawdler

Definitely getting amiibo figures of Robin, Greninja, Pit, Palutena, Shulk and spoilers Duck Hunt.
Everyone else is a maybe, but besides them I'm most likely to get Dedede, Kirby and spoilers Mr. Game & Watch.

For some reason the spoiler code isn't working on my posts.

I've said it before, but these don't seem to be as well-integrated as Skylanders figures, and I fear they'll feel more pointless and shoehorned like the Disney Infinity figures do. I don't have anyone who I'll be using these with, so unless there's a good explanation for why we need these toys to unlock these features, they'll feel very forced and I doubt I'll get much out of them on the gameplay side.
Still, I'll probably end up collecting a bunch of them (if not the whole set) because I like how the figures look. Also, I quit collecting Disney Infinity figures and I'm going to cut down on my Skylanders purchases for the next game, so I have more to spend on these anyway.

I hope we get these around the same time as the N3DS. I'm actually excited to use the built-in NFC and I'd be annoyed if I had to wait until next year.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

bluemage1989

I think Nintendo will definitely have a game built around these figures but what kind of game?? Its hard to tell at this point with smash bros I doubt it would be a fighting game and to develop a 3d platformer incorporating all characters would maybe be to difficult but if there is a company whocould make a good game based around these figures its Nintendo. I like to think all the extras they unlock in other games are more a bonus than there main purpose. If I had to guess what kind of game they would build around these figures I would say it would be like a standalone Subspace Emissary game.

bluemage1989

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic