Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 121 to 140 of 453

RoyalBlur

Cheezy wrote:

It looks smaller than the original PSP though.

Really now? You might want to read this: http://kotaku.com/5744609/our-camera-adds-ten-pounds-to-the-psp2

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

Z_Bone

My gosh, that thing looks like a Game Gear.

Do the Mario!

irken004

WaveBoy wrote:

I'm suprised Sony doesn't include a Stylus. Using your finger in no way will work as well or be as satisfying to use.
What if they release a Trauma Center for the PSP2? Do they honestly expect you to use your finger? Silly Silly Sony.

Seems to be working well for the iPad and iPhone/iPod touch.

bboy2970

Ok so I'm an open Nintendo fanboy. I admit it and am perfectly ok with it. But I do like to think I can at least somewhat judge the competition's offerings fairly. So here is what I think of the "NGP"

RIght off the bat, Damn that thing is bulky! I just saw a comparison shot of it with other popular handhelds (DSi, 3DS, iThing) and Oh my goodness, its gigantic! So basically this thing is a large PSP with a touch screen, motion sensitivity, better graphics, 3G connectivity, and a camera...I think. That is the NGP in a basic nutshell. So, lets start picking this thing apart. Its got a touch screen. Who didn't expect this one? Sony would have been pretty dumb to leave this out. Would I have respected them for it? sure, but I'm quite sure they are not out to get my respect. I don't consider this a particularly compelling feature because its just sort of expected to be there. The motion sensor isn't really a shocker either. Although it is quite humorous that Sony continues support of a control method that they completely mocked when Nintendo brought it mainstream. Anyway, everyone kind of expected some type of motion sensing so that is also not particularly compelling. Next, the thing has...wait for it....better graphics. Of course it does. Again, this is obviously something very important to Sony so not really shocking that it has graphics on par-ish with the PS3. Do they look nice? of course! Is that what makes a game? In my opinion, not in the least. So next is the 3G connectivity. This one was definitely not a sure thing like touch, motion, and graphics were but still not particularly new as the iPhone has this and has had it for quite some time. Plus, there is the threat that 3G implamentaion will cost some monthly fee and that is definitely a red flag. If this thing is sold by a phone company with a contract instead of like a gaming device then I'm quite certain it will fail. Now I think that thing in the upper right is a camera. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if it was. Again, We've seen cameras for years on iThings and DSi/3DS so not exactly shocking. So up to this point, the feature set is kind of a ho-hum been there, done that kind of thing. Now for some features that are a little more on the innovative side. Its got a touch panel on the back.....kind of a strange thing for sure. I'm sure some games will come along that will smartly impliment this but I really don't see this as being all that great although some great software could prove me wrong. but such software has yet to be seen. Its got dual analog sticks. Here is something that is somewhat obvious but has still yet to be seen on a handheld until now. The only thing is.....There is a reason the original PSP had a nub instead of a stick. There is a reason the 3DS had a pad instead of a stick. There is a reason no handheld before has had an analog stick on it. An analog stick just straight up doesn't mix with a handheld. Have you noticed that although they are short-ish they still petrude out from the thing. This is guaranteed, along with the size, to make putting the thing in your pocket a hassle at best. Really, I believe this is one of the stupidest things the NGP does. It'll be great to have them there when you're playing but what about when you wanna travel with the thing? It is a portable device after all. Anyway, good idea, awful implimentation. As far as I know, battery life has not been made known but I think we can safely assume its very likely not gonna be pretty when Sony does finally cough up some details. Given that is has a presumably bright screen, a very high res screen, and 3G connectivity, there is just no way the battery is gonna be anything short of disappointing. Again, I am assuming this but it is a fairly likely assumption. Next, the price. You can bet that this thing is gonna have a high price tag. With the horsepower it appears to be pushing, its pretty much inevitable. I read in an article that Sony claimed it would not be 600 dollars. That kind of tells me that it will be somewhere in between 500 and 600. Son has stated that they want the thing to be priced profitably and affordably. I do have to question though what Sony would consider to be "affordable." I can guarantee that their interpretaion of the word is just a little different from the average consumer. So lets say best case scenario, it costs 400 bucks. That is really alot of money for a handheld. I mean, people thought the 250 price tag on the 3DS was a little much. So to sum this up, I don't think this device has a very bright future. Based on what is known currently, it just doesn't look like a winner. If you combine the obese size, redundant features, little in the way of any truly new features, the likely suck-ish battery, the likely outrageous price point, and even the possibility of a monthly charge, the chances of success become fairly clear. You may have noticed I don't really have much in the way of nice things to say. Well, that's because I don't really see anything really worth complimenting. I guess if I had to raise good points about it it would be: good looking graphics(although they are little more than added eye candy), very nice high res screen, a pretty good looking line up of games(although not really my personal cup of tea), and presumably very crisp speakers. That is literally everything nice I can think of about this thing. It would appear Sony has learned very little about the handheld arena and that they simply don't "get" handheld gaming. Is it a nice device? Sure, I'll give it that. Is it a marketable device? Is it a smartly designed device? Is it a consumer friendly device? Is it a device that will likely crush competitors? No, no, no, and very likely no.

EDIT: I just watched the vid posted by JumpMad. That is actually quite a good implimentaion of the back panel. I admit that this thing does now appear to be probably the most compelling thing about the NGP. Although, this one feature is simply not enough to save the NGP in my opinion. It appears very cool but it takes more than one cool thing.

Edited on by bboy2970

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

LordJumpMad

Look for yourselfs, before you wreck yourself
[youtube:Z5AkjLwqm6I]
What's really cool is that the touchpad can act as R2/L2 buttons

I never got The PSP, but I play my Sister's PSP alot.
And seeing how well the PSP2/NGP is, I will get it.

Edited on by LordJumpMad

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

LzWinky

Yup, maybe it'll be a repeat of the PS3

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

zezhyrule

@bboy: Not reading that wall of text in the slightest. Guessing (besides completely 110% bashing everything about the NGP) it has something to do with innovation though, I'll just say this -
3DS = DS + Analog Stick (kinda) + Upgraded Graphics + Gimmicks
NGP = PSP + Analog Stick + Upgraded Graphics + Gimmicks

No one cares who invented the wheel, but we all can use it freely.

Also, now that I'm actually skimming through your post, the analog sticks wouldn't matter much if you had a case to put it in. I know I would never put a maybe $400 electronic that didn't have a covered screen directly in my pocket. With the battery life, it's 6-8 hours.

And still with the innovation talk, who really cares? If it works well, and they can use it, why shouldn't they? You act like Nintendo invented touch screens and motion sensors.

Edit: Sorry if this post is disorganized and confusing to read. It's late here :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

R-L-A-George

I can imagine that the NGS would, probably be around $300.

If you consider, 3G is rather pricey and if you include the price of games. I'd love to have an PSP but on average, games cost $50 if its going to have external disk. If PSP is cheaper, I may consider but I feel like the 3DS is for me.

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

LzWinky

Honestly, I like the PSP2...er...NGP...whatevertheheckitllbenamed...because it's competition. If it succeeds, then Nintendo needs to work harder to compete. Fanboys on both sides can be happy....key word "can"

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

R-L-A-George

WaveBoy wrote:

Gimmicks? 3D is hardly a gimmick it's a complete game changer visually. Oh you'll see...You'll see.lol

Oh I know...I watch videos and say; This is for me. It does things that I have actually wished the DSi can do. [eeeep]

Edited on by R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George

Yeah size is an handicap. LOL, my DSi XL fits in my pocket but pulls down my pants. Plus if you consider the touch pad and touch screen. When being used as an handheld, you will need a good case to use it for travel. Like pockets, consider that it might get damaged.

R-L-A-George

theblackdragon

Guys, if all you want to do is bash Sony, do it on another forum. These PSP2 threads don't deserve to be locked just because you want to play troll versus anyone who might be looking forward to this device.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

armoredghor

@JumpMad It looks like a perfect example of the capabilities of the touchpad, but it's a little too perfect as in I can't see it really translating to an fps, racer or traditional action game like the playstation typically tries to run. I think Sony put these out to show that they can do the same features but eventually they're just going to fall back to their rut of typical games. and that's not an insult I just think that they won't follow through the same way they dropped the six axis and that they're pretty much dropping Move, now that they have it.

I am interested to see how they're gonna talk smack this year at E3. "3D is a cheap gimick, oh wait. nobody needs motion control, oh crap, uh who needs movies on a handheld anyway, yeah that one, oh wait...?

armoredghor

archie96

JumpMad wrote:

Look for yourselfs, before you wreck yourself
[youtube:Z5AkjLwqm6I]
What's really cool is that the touchpad can act as R2/L2 buttons

I never got The PSP, but I play my Sister's PSP alot.
And seeing how well the PSP2/NGP is, I will get it.

It looks like the guy is struggling to hold it in 1 hand after a while.

archie96

archie96

Also, if you add the two screens of 3DS, you actually get 6.5 inches of screen space, bigger than the NGP's 5.

archie96

HolyMackerel

I quite like that rear touch pad! It makes for a pretty cool concept. My only issue is that you'll be fumbling around where you can't see for a while. The nice thing about touch screens is the intuitive precision you get out of them. Still I like the creative "grab and pull" controls there - it kind of reminds me of pressing A and B on the Wii remote.

@archie96 Unfortunately it doesn't work that way seeing how the 3DS's two screens are not seamlessly linked. Also the "diagonal inch" measurement is almost meaningless in terms of screen real estate. Better measurements are screen area (width and height), resolution and DPI.

HolyMackerel

LEGEND_MARIOID

I have no opinions on it because I doubt I'll be going anywhere near it. BUT good luck to yous all

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

SwerdMurd

Looks positively monumental. Looks like my new laptop is gonna get pushed back even further.

-Swerd Murd

(check my tunes out at www.soundcloud.com/swerdmurd)

KarrotMan

This NGP is a BEAST! A PS3 on the go with Android and 3G support that could be touched on both sides? Thats really unheard of! All neat features aside, I am a little worried about the price since this is Sony we're talking about. If the 3DS is around $250, how so for the more powerful NGP and its games? The battery also might bug me a bit, although since It's using a OLED screen instead of an ordinary LED it will consume less power equating the battery life equal that to a PSP 3K but I can't be too positive. Other than that, the NGP impresses just as the 3DS did. I'm not sure on whether which handheld to get but for now I'll just wait until a year or so to see how things shape up for both systems. Here's to a wonderful 2011!!!

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.