3DS Forum

Topic: NWR's Top 10 3DS Titles! (Honorable Mentions Part 2!)

Showing 161 to 180 of 232

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

161. Posted:

I-U wrote:

For the most part, I tend to agree that Mutant Mudds is the best 3rd party effort on the system. It has the engaging level design, charming simple art style, easy to use controls, rewarding throughout (diamonds to Max's upgrades to Max's 100% to Grannie unlock to Grannie levels to secret ending), simple story to associate with (a gamer wanting to be a hero/protect their world) and a pretty nice chip tune soundtrack. There's been other 3rd party games I've enjoyed like Super Street Fighter IV, Dead or Alive Dimensions and Code of Princess; however, Mutant Mudds is the stand out and brought me in easily.

I'll give Mutant Mudds this. It has a boatload of content, and it has one of the best uses of stereoscopic 3D on the system. Other than that, I really don't see what makes it stand out so much. It's still a good game worth the price, but I don't think it's top ten eShop material (much less top ten system overall).

The gameplay is great, and so is the music, but the other 3 major retro platformers on the service (MSF!, VVVVVV, & Cave Story) have those claims as well, so Mudds doesn't stand out in any particular way in those regards.

Then there's where the game falls short. The graphics aren't retro (they look like they're either made out of plastic or covered in laminate), which makes the retro vibe less impactful compared to the other 3. The game is also difficult for the wrong reasons. Unlike the other 3 platformers on the service, which feel well designed, Mudds' later levels (and most special levels) are filled with leaps of faith & cheap offscreen enemy placement (that was okay in the retro era, but now feels like a lazy way out to make a game feel "retro". There are other ways to give a game retro difficulty, while maintaining modern standards). Finally, the game is highly unoriginal. The gameplay is the most safe (in terms of fresh ideas) out of all the big retro platformers, and it seems like Renegade Kid took a whole 5 minutes to come up with the game's theme (oh, a kid shooting mud monsters with a water gun in the most cliché of platforming environments). Oh, and it has no bosses!

Again, it's a good game, just highly overrated.

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

I-U

162. Posted:

Morphtorok wrote:

Well, actually, most of the replayability of metroid games comes from trying to beat your previous time.

The game keeps track of the time you take to beat it and rewards you based on it.

I know this. I was trying to say why my love for Metroid didn't lead to a love of Mighty Switch Force.

Favorite Game: Metroid Prime Hunters

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

163. Posted:

Number 3 revealed!

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

That leaves Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Mario Kart 7 as the probable contenders for the top two spots.

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

astros75

164. Posted:

Super Mario Land 3D will definitely be one of the two remaining spots. I think Ocarina of Time will be left out due to it not being a "new" game. So who gets snubbed, Pit or the Kart Gang? My guess is Kid Icarus is left out in the cold...

Favorite 3DS Games:
Fire Emblem: Awk. ~ Mario Kart 7 ~ Animal Crossing: NL ~ Luigis Mansion: DM
Res. Evil: Rev ~ Super Mario 3d Land ~

Favorite WiiU Games:
Pikmin 3 ~ DK: Tropical Freeze ~ MK8

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0174-1633 | Nintendo Network ID: astros75

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

165. Posted:

No love for Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance, it should be in the top 10 i nmy opinion

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

166. Posted:

astros75 wrote:

Super Mario Land 3D will definitely be one of the two remaining spots. I think Ocarina of Time will be left out due to it not being a "new" game. So who gets snubbed, Pit or the Kart Gang? My guess is Kid Icarus is left out in the cold...

Eh, I think MK7 is actually the one with the least chance of making it on (out of the four).

While it's a good game, the others seem like they've left bigger marks on the 3DS landscape (at least from my perspective).

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DarkCoolEdge

167. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

astros75 wrote:

Super Mario Land 3D will definitely be one of the two remaining spots. I think Ocarina of Time will be left out due to it not being a "new" game. So who gets snubbed, Pit or the Kart Gang? My guess is Kid Icarus is left out in the cold...

Eh, I think MK7 is actually the one with the least chance of making it on (out of the four).

While it's a good game, the others seem like they've left bigger marks on the 3DS landscape (at least from my perspective).

I agree. Ocarina won't make because it's just a port with make-up and Mario Kart 7 is one of worst MK.

I think they'll put Kid Icarus as no.2 and Super Mario on top. I can't still believe that New Super Mario 2 and Mutant Mudds are in the list while Castlevania is not. It's ridiculous.

Currently playing: check my backloggery
http://www.backloggery.com/DarkCoolEdge

3DS Friend Code: 3265-5151-4824 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkCoolEdge | Twitter: darkcooledge

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bulbousaur

168. Posted:

I want Mario 3D Land to be number 2 and Uprising number 1, but I have a feeling that it'll be the other way around. But to be honest, 3D Land shouldn't be that high at all. Its good, but definitely not even top five in my opinion.

Bulbousaur

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

169. Posted:

Bulby wrote:

I want Mario 3D Land to be number 2 and Uprising number 1, but I have a feeling that it'll be the other way around. But to be honest, 3D Land shouldn't be that high at all. Its good, but definitely not even top five in my opinion.

Agreed 110%!!!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

slidecage

170. Posted:

probally last two

monster hunter and pokemon

combine them into Pokemon hunter...

Edited on by slidecage

slidecage

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bulbousaur

171. Posted:

Monster Hunter may be an option, but the no online without a Wii U will probably make it not appear on the list.

Pokemon, Rumble Blast or Gates to Infinity, I will be very surprised if they appear.

Bulbousaur

3DS Friend Code: 5112-3450-2144 | Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dashtag

172. Posted:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

Bulby wrote:

I want Mario 3D Land to be number 2 and Uprising number 1, but I have a feeling that it'll be the other way around. But to be honest, 3D Land shouldn't be that high at all. Its good, but definitely not even top five in my opinion.

Agreed 110%!!!

Stole the words right out of my mouth, both of you.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and another by Dark-Luigi. Oh, and a Kid Icarus one, too, created by Cyb3rnite.
deviantART Profile

Pit - "Uh, what's a KO?"
Palutena - "Good luck, Pit."

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter: KiDasharus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

173. Posted:

Super Mario 3D Land is definitely top five material. It's the best Mario game I've played since the Galaxy titles.

I still need to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Edited on by Ralizah

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

174. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

Super Mario 3D Land is definitely top five material. It's the best Mario game I've played since the Galaxy titles.

I still need to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Blah!!

It good not great for me. It didn't know what it wanted to be 2d side scroller or full blow 3d!

Oh and yes you need to play Luigi's but play DKCR first!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Klimbatize

175. Posted:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

It good not great for me. It didn't know what it wanted to be 2d side scroller or full blow 3d!

Before it was released, it was constantly described as a combination of the two. Maybe that's why I wasn't surprised. I actually really enjoyed the levels, but my gripe with the game is that it is very easy.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

176. Posted:

MetallicDonkey wrote:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

It good not great for me. It didn't know what it wanted to be 2d side scroller or full blow 3d!

Before it was released, it was constantly described as a combination of the two. Maybe that's why I wasn't surprised. I actually really enjoyed the levels, but my gripe with the game is that it is very easy.

I wanted full blow 3d and I guess that's why I was disappointed! I did beat it with both Mario and Luigi but I felt never compelled to play it again and sold it back to GameStop for 30$ while their deal was still in effect!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

177. Posted:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Super Mario 3D Land is definitely top five material. It's the best Mario game I've played since the Galaxy titles.

I still need to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Blah!!

It good not great for me. It didn't know what it wanted to be 2d side scroller or full blow 3d!

Oh and yes you need to play Luigi's but play DKCR first!

3D with 2D level design. A great combination, in my opinion.

I'm glad they're re-releasing DKCR on the 3DS. I hate waggle controls, and the game looks awesome. This will actually be my first Donkey Kong Country game, by the way.

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Whopper744

178. Posted:

Ralizah wrote:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Super Mario 3D Land is definitely top five material. It's the best Mario game I've played since the Galaxy titles.

I still need to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Blah!!

It good not great for me. It didn't know what it wanted to be 2d side scroller or full blow 3d!

Oh and yes you need to play Luigi's but play DKCR first!

3D with 2D level design. A great combination, in my opinion.

I'm glad they're re-releasing DKCR on the 3DS. I hate waggle controls, and the game looks awesome. This will actually be my first Donkey Kong Country game, by the way.

You will not regret your purchase

Nintendo ID : Whopper744
Fellow WV residents and MK8 fans...join the WV Cup today! 3052 9702 2828

Join Koopalings Thursdays! 5842-3656-8790

(used to be Joshers744...changed it to my Nintendo ID)

-John 3:16

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ralizah

179. Posted:

Joshers744 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

OldMan-Tech wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Super Mario 3D Land is definitely top five material. It's the best Mario game I've played since the Galaxy titles.

I still need to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Blah!!

It good not great for me. It didn't know what it wanted to be 2d side scroller or full blow 3d!

Oh and yes you need to play Luigi's but play DKCR first!

3D with 2D level design. A great combination, in my opinion.

I'm glad they're re-releasing DKCR on the 3DS. I hate waggle controls, and the game looks awesome. This will actually be my first Donkey Kong Country game, by the way.

You will not regret your purchase

I'm sure I won't. Platformers are one of my favorite game genres, and I've heard a lot of positives about it.

So, anyone else still planning on downloading this title, even with the big file size?

Friend Code: 3351-4294-3552
NNID: Michael418
PSN: Ralizah

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spoony_Tech

180. Posted:

I am. I still have over 150k left!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech