Forums

Topic: IGN reviews the Nintendo 3DS (7.5/10) & Steel Diver (7/10)

Posts 81 to 98 of 98

R-L-A-George

wobee wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

That's pretty important for a portable, especially from a line that's traditionally been able to fit in the pockets of at least adults.

Original Gameboy: 90 mm x 148 mm x 32 mm
DS Phat: 85 mm x 149 mm x 29 mm
DS Lite: 74 mm x 133 mm x 22 mm
DSi: 75 mm x 137 mm x 19 mm
3DS: 74 mm x 134 mm x 21 mm

Conclusion: That reviewer's pants shrunk in the wash, or he's never carried a Nintendo handheld in his pockets anyway.

LOL...

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

jaffa

Lay off IGN's back it's their opinion,, personally I don't care.

jaffa

LEGEND_MARIOID

JafriYakin wrote:

Agreed, and this is our opinion of their opinion. The review WASN'T well done for a video review. The screen size issue is pants. I've seeen much better video reviews

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

R-L-A-George

JafriYakin wrote:

I don't care either, I'm getting the 3DS regardless. We are not mad, some of us are just pokin' fun.

R-L-A-George

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1459-7893 | Nintendo Network ID: Osaka7524 | Twitter:

Bankai

wobee wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

It's a dedicated games console, so compared to many other devices, it's limited in functionality.

Everything else you said is fine and dandy. But you can't compare a dedicated gaming device to phones that have gaming on the side.

It's like saying a Ferrari is inferior to a Hummer because there isn't much trunk space. The Ferrari is meant to do one thing and has a bit of trunk space on the side.

3DS is a gaming device with a few things on the side.

And for a great many people, the lack of functionality will hurt the 3DS. It would be irresponsible journalism not to take that into account.

Edited on by Bankai

zeeroid

^^ Agree with WaltzElf. As much as you may like to separate the 3DS from an Android or iOS device, there is, in truth, very little distinction here. As Nintendo has stated on numerous occasions, they are competing for your time. They are competing with everything else that occupies your time as a gamer, and as someone seeking entertainment, in general. Android and iOS are perfectly legitimate places to find these things. It's time to wake up: it's 2011, and people expect more from their portable devices. How much crap do you want to carry around with you? Imagine if a phone had a game library at the calibre of the DS or PSP. There's really no reason one can't, and within the lifespan of the 3DS, we very well may see that happen. As the loving Nintendo fanboys that we are, of course we'll want the 3DS. Regardless of what happens in the future, nowhere else will we get to play Mario, Zelda and everything else we want.

The review wasn't written for us.

Edited on by zeeroid

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

zeeroid

Kadunta wrote:

The review made no change in my decision of whether to get the console or not. I think it more or less solidified my decision to not get it, at least not in this hardware revision.

Battery life two to five hours? My roundtrip time to work and back is smack down in the middle of those figures, so for the remainder of my time I'd probably turn to listening to my MP3 player that I'd have to carry around as well then. Carrying one such an electronic device with me is enough, and the commute is pretty much the only time I'd be playing with the console.

There's no killer app in the game line-up for me or in the announced titles that I am aware of. Don't forget Wii had a great killer app, and it came with the console already in the launch.

Ugh, it's so true, isn't it? I wish I were strong enough to resist its charms! Alas. I just hope I can get a decent bit of credit for my soon-to-be-current system when I switch to the new model, inevitably.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

LEGEND_MARIOID

I'm self employed and am on the moby all the time. It gets well worn as a result. I'd hate to have a full on gaming device and phone merged into one. I'd kill it. They're also poor, unsatisfying gaming devices to me. Good games, a good laugh, a novel laugh, that's it. No thanks. I dson't tend to carry my expensive game devices around with me anyway.

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

noname001

WaltzElf wrote:

And for a great many people, the lack of functionality will hurt the 3DS. It would be irresponsible journalism not to take that into account.

I'd argue it's bad journalism to focus on comparing it to a different sort of item.

Many people who already have a smart phone wouldn't buy the 3DS because they have a machine that has a variety of uses as is. If they do buy it, they'll know it's a gaming machine.

A review should focus on the merits of the product, not bash it for failing to meet expectations it never intended to meet and doesn't do something that a completely different item does. It's a fine line to walk, mind you.

noname001

default12345

I want Steel Diver! European release date purleeaaassseee!

default12345

HeroOfTime007

WaveBoy wrote:

The constant Nintendo thrashing hipster ***hole 'Daemon HATEfield', The resident Playstation loving Ghostbusters fanatic funny man(ya right) who still looks like a 12 years old 'Greg Miller' and that pretentious pretty stuck up PSP licking puppet that looks like Kelly from Saved by the Bell 'Jessica Chobot' are the WORST. I just can't really take IGN that serious anymore, their bias, whinyness towards Nintendo, their mediocre reviews and uninteresting editors bore me, let alone a lot of their tastes are geared towards everything I can't stand in gaming, it's like the 'retro' was completely sucked out of their office in favor of big guns, flashy graphics and movie-like cinametics.

And yep, they're going to praise the NGP, big suprise....It's going to be Chobots new lick toy.
Anyways, If Matt, Bozon and Craig were still there I'd definitly be visiting a lot more often.

IGN's got nothing on Destructoid.

While true about IGN, if youre gonna blame either of these reviewers, blame be Scott Lowe.

Rich George is their current Nintendo editor, and though he’s critical I believe that clears him of any tendencies toward Sony or Apple fanboyism. Scott, however, is the peripherals reviewer, and he’d get all kinds of time with devices.

I doubt he’d be a Sony fanboy.

This aside, I believe Rich’s nitpicking (he’s a critic, get used to it) was the main contributor to the 7.5 score. And don't forget that this is really a Launch Review and not a console review that will remain that way for the entire lifespan.

But wait...
IGN is owned by parent company FOX (NewsCorp) who in turn has had and does have MULTI-MILLION deals with SONY to broadcast sports games in 3D. Do you really think IGN is going to give a device that can produce 3D video and images for the low price of 250.00 dollars a good review. Hell no their parent company FOX sees the heavy competition coming from Nintendo in the 3D market. I am sure they must have to write a bias review. IGN can’t be trusted anymore. The writing on the wall….look how many reviews they do for FOX TV shows. IGN is a pawn in advertisement now and is no longer a real source of information...

Edited on by HeroOfTime007

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

turtlelink

Not a bad video review. Telling us all the flaws is what I really want to know atm. Only things I'm worried about is the 3D giving headaches, the L and R buttons, and the short battery life (I'll be keeping my DSi anyway though).

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

TheBaconator

I either have freakishly huge pockets or everyone else has small pockets because I can fit an XL in my pocket like it is a sheet of paper.

The Artist Formerly Known as ballkirby1
Nintendo Life Fantasy Football Team: The Propaniacs

HeroOfTime007

ballkirby1 wrote:

I either have freakishly huge pockets or everyone else has small pockets because I can fit an XL in my pocket like it is a sheet of paper.

Your pants pockets? I can too, but no way will I leave an XL there for too long! With the DSLite this can break your shoulder buttons and I ended up breaking the hinge and it split in two! Cassamassina and the other Ninty fanboys at IGN complained about this with the DS Lite/i too you know. But you can just put it in your coat's pockets anyway.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

turtlelink

ballkirby1 wrote:

You got some big pockets then dude, lol.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Kadunta wrote:

The review made no change in my decision of whether to get the console or not. I think it more or less solidified my decision to not get it, at least not in this hardware revision.

Battery life two to five hours? My roundtrip time to work and back is smack down in the middle of those figures, so for the remainder of my time I'd probably turn to listening to my MP3 player that I'd have to carry around as well then. Carrying one such an electronic device with me is enough, and the commute is pretty much the only time I'd be playing with the console.

There's no killer app in the game line-up for me or in the announced titles that I am aware of. Don't forget Wii had a great killer app, and it came with the console already in the launch.

Lol wii sports killer app

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

noname001

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Lol wii sports killer app

A universally praised game that can be enjoyed by anybody and everybody?

Killer app.

noname001

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.