Forums

Topic: IGN reviews the Nintendo 3DS (7.5/10) & Steel Diver (7/10)

Posts 61 to 80 of 98

zeeroid

WaveBoy wrote:

The constant Nintendo thrashing hipster ***hole 'Daemon HATEfield', The resident Playstation loving Ghostbusters fanatic funny man(ya right) who still looks like a 12 years old 'Greg Miller' and that pretentious pretty stuck up PSP licking puppet that looks like Kelly from Saved by the Bell 'Jessica Chobot' are the WORST. I just can't really take IGN that serious anymore, their bias, whinyness towards Nintendo, their mediocre reviews and uninteresting editors bore me, let alone a lot of their tastes are geared towards everything I can't stand in gaming, it's like the 'retro' was completely sucked out of their office in favor of big guns, flashy graphics and movie-like cinametics.

And yep, they're going to praise the NGP, big suprise....It's going to be Chobots new lick toy.
Anyways, If Matt, Bozon and Craig were still there I'd definitly be visiting a lot more often.

IGN's got nothing on Destructoid.

Those are a lot of flagrant ad hominem attacks against a series of unique editors with different tastes. Are you familiar at all with the core Nintendo reviewing team there? Listen, I'm not championing IGN because they have their faults (and, come on, I'm posting on the NL forum), but you're giving a wildly wrong impression. I'm not entirely sure how the existence of Daemon Hatfield and Greg Miller play any role in the site's supposed overall bias and/or disdain of Nintendo. Greg never reviews Nintendo titles, whereas he's very knowledgeable about Sony platforms. Daemon has stated on numerous occasions that he hates the Wii specifically, not Nintendo. He has given his reasons. You don't have to agree with them, but they are valid (for the most part). Again, he does not review Wii titles. Those IGN editors that care about Nintendo do so a great deal, and you're doing them something of an injustice here. It's perfectly fair to not like IGN; hell, I have my problems with them, but your rant isn't really rational in any way. Also, if you'd actually bothered to learn Chobot's real opinion, I do recall she was more excited about the 3DS than the NGP, last I heard. Not that there's anything wrong with the NGP. I'm desperately anxious to get my hands on it as well.

3DS: 1676 - 3679 - 7062
PSN: Zeer0id

Pushmo puzzle album (w/ QR codes)

Singularity

They're reviewing the 3DS like they would a gadget such as the iPod Touch. It doesn't work like that. Whereas with the iPod the focus is on all the little features it totes, the 3DS is about the games. Sure, it has a camera and a few other bits and bobs to mess around with, but primarily it's a games console. Whereas gadgets like the iPod Touch aren't.

Stupid review, really.

Singularity

BluTyGer

7.5!!!
That's it I'm canceling my pre...
Oh its just IGN never mind that. XD

Can't let you BREW that Starfox!

CanisWolfred

@Zeeroid

Thank you for being our devil's advocate.

Singularity wrote:

They're reviewing the 3DS like they would a gadget such as the iPod Touch. It doesn't work like that. Whereas with the iPod the focus is on all the little features it totes, the 3DS is about the games. Sure, it has a camera and a few other bits and bobs to mess around with, but primarily it's a games console. Whereas gadgets like the iPod Touch aren't.

Stupid review, really.

They did review it as a Game console, and noted games as a big reason why they toned down the score.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlexSays

moosa wrote:

The only real problem here is the undying fact that people are impossible to satisfy.

This is said when anyone criticizes anything.

It's not about being satisfied, it's about looking at the pros and cons and weighing them against one another. Something a portion of this specific community doesn't do real objectively.

AlexSays

AlexSays

I'm wondering if they needed one or two more 3DSs and a game that takes advantage of those features, before offering their opinion on it. If not, then I have no idea.

AlexSays

SpentAllMyTokens

They made a lot of fair points, I think. I thought the actual review was well done (whether or not you agree with the score).

They basically said it's a solid system, but expensive and there's a lot more that will be added later. Basically, really think about if it's worth a preorder from you. $250 IS expensive for a portable device. And the battery life IS an issue if you're taking a long flight/train/bus. And there's a good chance we'll see a smaller, cheaper, and with better battery model within the next 2 years. If you can hold out, the improved model will be the better bet.

I'm not going to be able to hold out, but I'm going to wait until the May shop update to buy it.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

pikku

Sylverstone wrote:

One thing I must chip in....

How odd is it that there was no mention of StreetPass or SpotPass in this review?

It's kinda strange, I guess, but then again, when you think about it, it makes sense, because to actually review street pass, you would have to encounter other people with 3DS's, and considering that it's not even out yet, the only people who would have one are the super ultra nerds who have no life who Imported one (and wouldn't be caught out in the sun anyway), and the big video game reviewers who got their English copies just this week, so the chances of running into another 3DS 2 weeks before launch would be pretty slim, I would think. :3

Edited on by pikku

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

LordJumpMad

WaveBoy wrote:

If Matt, Bozon and Craig were still there I'd definitly be visiting a lot more often.

IGN's got nothing on Destructoid.

One of the main reasone I stop going to IGN

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

yoyogamer

TigerShark895 wrote:

7.5!!!
That's it I'm canceling my pre...
Oh its just IGN never mind that. XD

Good Job.

This is a signature.

kkslider5552000

I'm honestly amazed people go to IGN. The only real reason it ever existed was because it had a large number of gameplay videos so youtube's made it completely pointless outside of laughing at how stupid people can be (and thanks to comments, youtube's better at that too anyway)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bankai

People in here are acting like the 3DS can't be improved. I'm guessing a large portion of those people don't own a Japanese 3DS.

Like the original DS, it's a good system but it'll need an updated model in a few years. Battery life is a problem, there's no online shop yet (and no, we don't know for sure the one we'll eventually get will be any good). It is bulkier to carry around than an iPhone or even PSPgo. It's a dedicated games console, so compared to many other devices, it's limited in functionality. It's good at what it does, and the 3D effect is brilliant, but if you honestly think this console deserves a rating of 9 or whatever... You're wrong.

Did the original DS deserve a 7.5? Yes. Did the original gBA? Yes. Nintendo has a history of releasing deeply flawed, but still fun, consoles the first time around in a generation when it comes to handhelds, so keep this in perspective, please.

Then again, it's fun to rant about IGN.

Edited on by Bankai

Corbs

I realize some people are high on StreetPass and SpotPass, but so far what I've seen, it's just a silly little bonus that's been barely implemented in any of the launch titles. I'm sure these features will become more useful and fun over time, but for now it doesn't surprise me in the least that they're not getting much press coverage.

Plain old gamer :)

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Corbs It'd probably work better in Japan anyways as peopel generally live more close together there. Pass more people and easier to spread out more wi-fi hotspots over a smaller country. Here I wouldn't pass upwards of 2 people a day with 3DS maybe and I'd probably know them both anyways

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Jiggies

To me the Nintendo 3DS itself is a must-have.

Jiggies

CowLaunch

@Wave Boy
What's wrong with Ghostbusters?!

Personally, I can hold out on getting a 3DS until Paper Mario comes out.

CowLaunch

noname001

WaltzElf wrote:

It's a dedicated games console, so compared to many other devices, it's limited in functionality.

Everything else you said is fine and dandy. But you can't compare a dedicated gaming device to phones that have gaming on the side.

It's like saying a Ferrari is inferior to a Hummer because there isn't much trunk space. The Ferrari is meant to do one thing and has a bit of trunk space on the side.

3DS is a gaming device with a few things on the side.

Edited on by noname001

noname001

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.