Forums

Topic: I gave up!!!

Posts 241 to 260 of 421

komicturtle

... Isn't it the Cosmos Black 3DS having the most problems? I'm not sure what qualifys as a loose hinge and the bottom screen's hedge doesn't 'scratch' my 3DS screen. Also, so many people here are brutal with their systems- my DSlite and even original DS still have a working LR button. Stop being abusive- you don't need to freak and press down hard on those buttons

Also, do people really have an issue with the circle pad in regards to your thumb sliding off? Cause I sure don't. Then again, I never noticed...?

komicturtle

Totally-Rad

I've had issues with the analog pad and bottom screen leaving marks on the top half, but those are easily wiped away. Overall, I'm pleased with my 3DS so far. It kinda lacks oomph right now, but there are a billion and a half games on the horizon that keep me from regretting this purchase.

Name: Totally-Rad
Occupation: Aspiring game designer, currently unemployed writer/college student.
Rating: Eh/10

rolLTheDice

I'd like to comment on some problems Mandoble mentioned. Not to bash anyone in any way but to show that not everybody's got the same issues.

Mandoble wrote:

Analog pad where your thumb will be sliding away most of the time.

not happening to me

Mandoble wrote:

Internal microphone planced in the very worst position for a handheld.

having problems with it too

Mandoble wrote:

Very small upper screen, it cannot even compete with PSP.

I like the size of my 3DS. If the upper screen was any bigger the 3DS would be bigger too. Wouldn't be good.

Mandoble wrote:

3D screen was told to have more than five "sweet spots" from where others can see clearly the 3D effect without double image, well, might has a single sweet spot, and it is as sweet as hard to find.

I can't remember any saying that there'll be more than one sweet spot. It would be great for 3D videos though.

Mandoble wrote:

Very small system memory, you will hardly load anything in the browser except the most simple web pages.

While the browser worked alright for me at first it's kind of getting worse in the past days. And i don't want to delete anything that's taking up the internal memory.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

Simmer_E

@Mandoble

Yesterday, while I was playing Ocarina of Time, I was turning the 3Ds to aim with the slingshot, with full 3D in effect, and it never messed up

Also, my thumb is always resting on the thumb slider

Simmer_E

Nintendo Network ID: Simmer_E | Twitter:

Meta-Rift

Mandoble wrote:

• Analog pad where your thumb will be sliding away most of the time.

I haven't had that problem yet, but one time my thumb started sliding a little because of the pad's shape, and that I had been playing for a long time.

Mandoble wrote:

• Internal microphone planced in the very worst position for a handheld.

Well, it's definitely a bad place to put it, but I've seen worse.

Mandoble wrote:

• Headphones connector also in the very worst position.

Hasn't given me trouble so far, and it's better than a lot of other stuff I've used.

Mandoble wrote:

• Very small upper screen, it cannot even compete with PSP.

The PSP's is bigger by less than an inch. I don't consider 3.5 inches to be small for a handheld display, especially since there's a bottom screen.

Mandoble wrote:

• Fragile L-R buttons.

"Fragile"? Well, mine are still working great, so I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Mandoble wrote:

• Top screen being "framed" by bottom one when closed.

Agreed.

Mandoble wrote:

• 3D screen was told to have more than five "sweet spots" from where others can see clearly the 3D effect without double image, well, might has a single sweet spot, and it is as sweet as hard to find.

This is news to me.

Mandoble wrote:

• 3D effects that become image distortion if you move the console, and Nintendo was trying to push the gimmicking even more with its giroscopes. So, do you want to play moving the console, disable 3D, do you want 3D, keep the console as still as possible.

Maybe it's just my eyesight, but I can see the 3D fine as long as I'm looking right at the screen.

Mandoble wrote:

• 3D effects in exchange of a pretty low resolution, and the same applies for the cameras which are the crappiest I've ever seen.

The PSP's display is 128 PPI. With 3D on, the top screen of the 3DS is 132 PPI. When 3D is turned off, the horizontal resolution doubles.

Mandoble wrote:

• Very small system memory, you will hardly load anything in the browser except the most simple web pages.

Agreed, but it's not a problem for me. "Simple web pages" are the only thing I would ever use the browser for. Everything else is much more convenient on a computer.

Meta-Rift

Blaze

Just to quote on a few things Mandoble said -

Analog Pad - I suppose it depends on the shape and size of your thumb, but fine for me.
Microphone Slot - True, however, you must admit that it is so rarely used that it makes little difference.
Headphone Connector - I thought it was quite conveniently placed actually, TBH.
Small Screen - If you combine the 3DS' 2 screens.....
Fragile L&R Buttons - ................................ I think we can all agree this is rubbish.
Top Screen Being 'Framed' - This does seem to be a common problem, however, luckily for me, all is fine!!!
Five Sweet Spots - 1.When was this said and... 2. I'm fine with the screen anyway, I can always see it fine.
3D Distortion - True, but only occassionally, about 70% of the time I can retain the 3D effect.
Crappy Cameras e.t.c - Am I the only one who is thinking this guy is a Sony fan?
Finally - 1. (Sigh) 2.True

I don't want to sound like some mad Nintendo fanboy but despite the fact that I know many 3DS' have been received with faults, I've had mine since launch on 25th March and had no problems, apart from a slight wobble on the hinge, but I don't think this is a problem, it's just kind of happened during manufacture as a slight fault.

And finally, you keep commenting on the PSP/Vita's superior quality's to the 3DS..... am I the only one who thinks we can't trust your words of criticism and are just deliberately trying to poke false allegations and nit-picking through the 3DS' design features? If you are a Sony fan, fine, because when the Vita launches, I won't be wasting my time nit-picking through design features that are not to my tastes.

The Blazeloggery~
Mah Animelist~

3DS Friend Code: 4914-4746-2130 | Nintendo Network ID: MiracleBlaze

Mandoble

From where are you getting this?
"When 3D is turned off, the horizontal resolution doubles."
3DS works with two images rendered with the very same resolution each one from a slightly different postion. I dont see how practical resolution can be doubled. That would mean that it switches from 132 PPI to 132x2? Which is not the case, btw, and if it were, then the extra resolution would be a waste in a so small screen where you already can hardly appreciate any small details while playing OOT.

I have a PSP and compared with my 3DS its screen looks really big, independent of the resolution. And 3DS screens looks really ridiculous compared with my DSiXL.

The headphone is on the bottom, and if you connect them then your 3DS cannot rest comfortably over your chest when you are playing, same applies to microphone. This is the very worst handheld design by Nintendo in all its history much worse than DSiXL, DSi, even DS and of course much much worse than PSP. It is like a prototype put into production prematurely, might be knowing that Vita will eat it alive in all and every aspect.

3DSneedsRPGs, I'm not any Sony fan, nor a Nintendo fan, I'm a plain consumer. But I have the honest feeling that Nintendo is way way way overrated for what it really deserves, even more if we compare building cost with prices and the other consoles. As an example, a 260€ 2009 Wii had a buinding cost of 50€, no idea about today's 3DS building cost, but Vita announced a launch price cheaper than it, and for sure building cost of Vita is far superior than that of 3DS.

BTW, the idea of combining size of both screens to argue about the small size of the upper one is absurd, with DS you can really say that you play with both, with 3DS it is the opposite, the lower one will be left for menus, selections, etc, but the real game content will always run on the upper one only.

Edited on by Mandoble

Mandoble

Mr_Nose

So many tortured souls...

Let me take on the mantle of your suffering.

Send your 3DS to MEEEEEEEE!

3DS:
5413 - 1299 - 6184
Wii U:
Mr.Nose
Bink

3DS Friend Code: 5413-1299-6184 | Nintendo Network ID: MrNose

Meta-Rift

@Mandoble: My understanding is that the two separate images need to be displayed simultaneously, using 50% of the pixels for each eye. It doesn't literally double the resolution, but it displays a higher resolution image.

Mandoble wrote:

BTW, the idea of combining size of both screens to argue about the small size of the upper one is absurd, with DS you can really say that you play with both, with 3DS it is the opposite, the lower one will be left for menus, selections, etc, but the real game content will always run on the upper one only.

I disagree. If menus, maps, and less important HUD elements are on the bottom screen, then those things aren't cluttering the top screen. I would use the same argument for the DS, too. Most of my DS games take place on one screen, and the other is used for something else.

Meta-Rift

Turnip

There's no need to start a argument.

Everyone can let mandoble have his opinion on the 3DS. although some of his "complaints" about the 3DS are very small, they are valid complaints nonetheless.

I, personally, love my 3DS. There is nothing about it that I would change besides maybe the placement of the microphone.

So IMO, the 3DS's design is great. Nintendo couldn't have done a better job.

Cringing is really fun.

komicturtle

Not necessarily valid (the whole 5 sweet spots has never been said). Some issues he brought up are issues that certain individuals have- not all. There are people who's screens get scratched or something because of the lower screen, but there are some like me that don't. As for L & R buttons- never had a problem with the original DS, DSlite, DSi and this one, so.. Yeah. All dependant on the individual. The rest is up for grabs and are common.

komicturtle

Mandoble

@komicturtle92, it was said by Nintendo long time before the launch, when announcing the usage of Sharp (as far as I remember) displays and asked if other people can also see what you were playing at, the answer was that there were going to be "n" positions from where you can correcly see the image, I think this "n" was 5 while I might be wrong, of course greater than 2 in any case.

@Rift, as far as I understand this resolution is not increased when 3D bar is moved down or doubled when the bar is set to the bottom. Basically, the PPI supported by the screen should remain the same all the time.

Mandoble

GreatManaTree

@mandoble: Just a question; Do you actually own a 3DS? If "yes", Do you look properly after the device? Thanks.

GreatManaTree

Terave

@3DSNeedsRPGS I think he's a Sony fan, though.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

LordJumpMad

JDT wrote:

we're all Sonyfans!
Is there a problem?

This is now SONYLIFE

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

Turnip

JDT wrote:

the Sony fan disease has obviously spread. I think Corbs has it. D:

Cringing is really fun.

theblackdragon

Guys, liking Sony products is not a 'disease'; we're (mostly) adults and we're allowed to like more than one thing in this life. Why does everything have to be so cut and dry? :/

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Tasuki

So now I am wondering with the ones who gave up on the 3DS and traded it in how are they going to react to the 20 free games announcement.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Wisconsin1

Price cut. Hahahahaha, I got $165($204 with 2 games) for my trade-in at GS last week. I'm so glad I got rid of that thing while it's free falling. I'll pick one up here in 2 years when its only $99, if the 3rd party games get any better, but I'm not holding my breath. I've played all the GBA and NES games to death and I don't need all of them, other then a few favs. I once was a Nintendo guy, but they boched this one big time, Bring on the PS Vita.

3DS FC: 5370-0442-9112

bro2dragons

I find this thread thoroughly entertaining.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29

Nintendo Network ID: bro2dragons

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.