Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem: Fates

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 2,517

LzWinky

As of right now, no

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Socar

Just curious....why are many of you wanting to first get birthright and then conquest when they both have the same difficulty levels?

Surely Conquest isn't going to be incredibly difficult even on beginner....right?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Sisilly_G

Socar wrote:

Just curious....why are many of you wanting to first get birthright and then conquest when they both have the same difficulty levels?

Surely Conquest isn't going to be incredibly difficult even on beginner....right?

Birthright is a more traditional Fire Emblem experience while being more accommodating for beginners. Conquest is more challenging, as it is stingy with items and requires players to be more tactical rather than optimising and heading into battle without thinking things through. Revelation sounds like it's in between the two difficulty-wise, but is intended to be played last.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Socar

sillygostly wrote:

Socar wrote:

Birthright is a more traditional Fire Emblem experience while being more accommodating for beginners. Conquest is more challenging, as it is stingy with items and requires players to be more tactical rather than optimising and heading into battle without thinking things through. Revelation sounds like it's in between the two difficulty-wise, but is intended to be played last.

That still doesn't change the fact that they all have the same difficulty settings. I wonder for those who want to play conquest only find out that its too late for them to make any progress and that they would have to erase their save and start from the first because that sounds like a fundamental design flaw and not the difficulty flaw.

Sisilly_G

Socar wrote:

sounds like a fundamental design flaw and not the difficulty flaw.

That's the whole point of the "Classic" mode though. Games almost never portray death with any real consequences, but in Fire Emblem, provided that you play Classic mode, each life on your team matters, and any loss of a combatant will only make each successive fight more difficult, if not immediately, then in the long term. If the player makes one too many irresponsible decisions or is willing to let one too many members on their roster die, then they may find themselves in a position where they cannot proceed any further. Classic mode is a more authentic survival experience than most and is intended only for those who are prepared to accept the consequences of every action that they take. Most games are designed so that it is possible to prevail no matter how neglectful one is in their preparation for the so-called "final battle". The Fire Emblem games are not among them.

I've tried playing Awakening in Hard and Lunatic modes and I only got past the first few stages. They were simply too difficult for me to be enjoyable. I'll have my "casual" experience and the diehard fans can have their "classic" experience. We each enjoy Fire Emblem in our own way and that can only benefit the franchise.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Socar

@sillygostly: I'm not talking about the mode. That's fine. What I'm trying to say is that the fact that when level grinding is needed, the fact that you're limited so much to that when your entire team is weak is just pointless. If the game is focused on tactics and if that tactics requires your units to be more strong, then how can that even happen even if you play casual mode or Phenoix mode?

My point is that is it made so that you don't have to grind so much? If so, then I don't see how its unbalanced and I don't see why people want to first get birthright and then conquest unless they are new to Fire Emblem.

TeeJay

sillygostly wrote:

Socar wrote:

sounds like a fundamental design flaw and not the difficulty flaw.

That's the whole point of the "Classic" mode though. Games almost never portray death with any real consequences, but in Fire Emblem, provided that you play Classic mode, each life on your team matters, and any loss of a combatant will only make each successive fight more difficult, if not immediately, then in the long term. If the player makes one too many irresponsible decisions or is willing to let one too many members on their roster die, then they may find themselves in a position where they cannot proceed any further. Classic mode is a more authentic survival experience than most and is intended only for those who are prepared to accept the consequences of every action that they take. Most games are designed so that it is possible to prevail no matter how neglectful one is in their preparation for the so-called "final battle". The Fire Emblem games are not among them.

I've tried playing Awakening in Hard and Lunatic modes and I only got past the first few stages. They were simply too difficult for me to be enjoyable. I'll have my "casual" experience and the diehard fans can have their "classic" experience. We each enjoy Fire Emblem in our own way and that can only benefit the franchise.

Except it still doesn't matter because you're hust going to reset killed recruits back to life anyway. May as well skip the process.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Spoony_Tech

@TeeJay: That not entirely true. I may reset depending on who it is that dies. I don't feel like going through another 25 minutes or more if it's an acceptable loss. I've gone as far to say I'm going to play the whole game the right way and if I lose anyone then they're gone for good and it was my mistake. It really makes you more careful with the choices you make. Now sticking to that can be a problem for most I would imagine.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

I was just playing Sacred Stones and the 2 main characters (Eirika and Ephraim) having C support conversation made me think of the FE Fates controversy about the petting minigame.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

LzWinky

I like Casual mode. It allows me to decide whether to reset or not. I understand that part of the challenge of Fire Emblem is permadeath, however there are moments in the series where the numbers stack against me, and strategy didn't work at all.

Example: Imagine my character having a 99% hit and the enemy 50% with 1% crit. I of course miss and the enemy crits and kills my character. How exactly is this a "challenge"?

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Spoony_Tech

@TingLz: If we all had 1% of winning the lottery we would be playing it everyday. 1% is still a risk no matter how low it is. Sure you would go into a fight and take that risk 100% of the time but it will happen eventually.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LzWinky

BUT! The chance to crit is even lower because it has to hit first with me missing. That's 1% * 50% * 1%...which is 1 out of 20000 swings.

And then I don't wanna discuss the game's tendency to single out one character for no logical reason

Edited on by LzWinky

Late

I'll experience the game in a way that suits me the best. Classic mode, normal difficulty, no resets. I like playing in a way where I feel responsible for each character's death and it makes me actually think my movements more carefully. If I play on Casual it's just throwing every character at the enemy and it doesn't matter who dies as long as I win the battle while playing on Classic and resetting makes no sense to me. It just feels pointless and more like a fake challenge since you can try as many times as you want to. I guess it makes more sense on harder difficulties but I'm not going to play on Lunatic anyways and it's totally possible to beat the game on other difficulties without resetting. I'm also going to choose the side based on what happens in the game and try to think like Corrin. It's going to be a hard decision. I just hope Europe gets a release date soon.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Smash_kirby

@TingLz: The crit range works like a range of numbers for the DNG, Deadilness Number Generator, instead of a RNG the DNG is designed to be more cruel the harder the game's difficulty.

Smash_kirby

Grumblevolcano

@TingLz: There is logic behind singling out one character. A few possibilities:

• If every attack hits then said character dies (the stupid AI part of this is they do this even if the chance of hitting is 0%)
  • Said character has a skill such as Provoke in which attracts all attention to it if in damageable range (only exists from Path of Radiance onwards)
  • Character stats, low speed for example means unable to hit twice and more likely to get hit.

I of course don't have issues with others using casual mode provided I can pick classic mode for my playthroughs. Both Awakening and all 3 Fates paths have classic mode so I'm happy on that side of things.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sticker

I don't want to sound like butthurt fanboy, but seeing people actually glad the petting feature removed is disturbing.
Don't they full experience of Fates?

Edited on by Sticker

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

CaviarMeths

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I was just playing Sacred Stones and the 2 main characters (Eirika and Ephraim) having C support conversation made me think of the FE Fates controversy about the petting minigame.

I did a playthrough with A support between Ephraim and Eirika once. Their epilogue is just that they rebuild Renais together and rule as siblings. It's kinda nice.

But yeah the petting totally has precedence.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

LzWinky

Sticker wrote:

I don't want to sound like butthurt fanboy, but seeing people actually glad the petting feature removed is disturbing.
Don't they full experience of Fates?

Obviously not

SMEXIZELDAMAN

This game has no waifu petting My most anticipated feature Unsure whether to buy or not

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

CaviarMeths

Some people seem to be under the notion that trimmed content = inferior product. More isn't always better. Film editing exists for this reason.

Purists are weird.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.