Forums

Topic: Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 223

Spoony_Tech

@MetalKingShield I like how there's so many different combinations you can use. You can go too wrong with what you choose.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

bitleman

@MetalKingShield Thanks fo the tip. Wanted to try the Shaman but Botanist seems to be the better choice over him.

bitleman

MetalKingShield

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@MetalKingShield I like how there's so many different combinations you can use. You can go too wrong with what you choose.

Yes, absolutely. It seems incredibly well-balanced. So many of them have got buffs or debuffs, I really have no idea which ones are the best.

bitleman wrote:

@MetalKingShield Thanks fo the tip. Wanted to try the Shaman but Botanist seems to be the better choice over him.

Yes, definitely. Unless there's something I don't know about the Shaman, he/she just seems like a Bard, which has never been a favourite class of mine.

One thing that's confusing me is that I can't find the equivalent of the Protector's Fire/Ice/Volt wall anywhere in the game yet. Maybe the dragons aren't in it so you don't really need them?

MetalKingShield

Spoony_Tech

@MetalKingShield If you're referring to resistance magic it's the Shaman that has them. That's actually one of the characters I'm using.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Meowpheel The Necromancer does that as well. So much diversity in these characters.

MERG said:

crimsontadpoles

My copy finally arrived today, so I'll start playing it proper in the next few days. I've already transferred my demo data, as I already spent so long customising the characters in the demo.

Edit: I got distracted playing this earlier, and proceeded from where I left off on the demo and reached the stairs leading to 5F. My team is:
Front row: Masurao, Harbinger
Back row: Warlock, Rover, Botanist

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Is this one or EOU2 better for those that've played both?

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

MetalKingShield

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@MetalKingShield If you're referring to resistance magic it's the Shaman that has them. That's actually one of the characters I'm using.

Aren't those buffs though? I'm thinking of how the Protector used to be able to totally nullify Fire, Ice or Volt (only one at a time). It was done on a turn-by-turn basis and didn't technically count as a buff (which the EO games always punished you for having too many of). If anyone in this game had it, I'd expect it to be the Dragoon, but I can't see it so far.

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Definitely this one.

MetalKingShield

oninowon

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Personally I would have a hard time choosing between the two. IMHO, I believe EO II had more charm, was more humorous, and the classes were hilariously bizarre. I also feel that it was the hardest of the series but that may be due to it being my very first xp with EO.

EOV is more polished. The map tool is simpler and customizable. The animation is nicer and I like the small touches such as the tidbits of story elements thrown in. I also like that they utilized previous class skills and incorporated them into the classes and races for this iteration of EO.

oninowon

oninowon

So I've come across a couple recipes but I don't know how to combine them. Does one of your characters have to have the skill for that option to pop up?

oninowon

Spoony_Tech

@oninowon I pretty sure if you have the right ingredients and the right cooking tools you can make them at the camp fires in the stratum.

MERG said:

Fenrir6

I have a question for the veterans of this series:
I've never played a full game before, I tried the IV demo but couldn't do much in it (with only 3 uses), then I recently tried the V demo and I'm really liking it!
Considering the big difference in price (10€ for IV vs 50€ for V), which one would you recommend me?

Fenrir6

Twitter:

Ralizah

@Fenrir6 Get EOIV. It's the best and most accessible game in the series. The overworld exploration, in particular, is amazing, and I'm disappointed that EOV didn't expand on this aspect of IV.

The gameplay is largely the same, so if you enjoyed what you played of V, you should enjoy IV as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Fenrir6

@Ralizah Thanks, I won't buy it right now but I'll keep it in mind. The main difference is the classes and I've always liked rogue/assassin like characters, so IV is definitely a good choice (altough V's classes are all great, and the character customisation is deeper)

Fenrir6

Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Fenrir6 I also agree with IV as well. I'm enjoying V but it feels like a step back without the overworld to explore and they did an excellent job with that too.

MERG said:

SMEXIZELDAMAN

What everyone else said. Etrian Odyssey IV!That one isn't quite as hard as some others too imo

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

oninowon

Fenrir6 wrote:

I have a question for the veterans of this series:
I've never played a full game before, I tried the IV demo but couldn't do much in it (with only 3 uses), then I recently tried the V demo and I'm really liking it!
Considering the big difference in price (10€ for IV vs 50€ for V), which one would you recommend me?

I'll break from the majority and say that both are great fun. Both make it easier for newbies to get into. The question you should be asking is what aspect of the game appeals to you more:
EO IV
1. Has an overworld where the dungeons are spread out but overall have the shortest dungeon levels (I believe it had a total of 13 floors + 3 more post game.).
2. Apparently, IV has a better story.
3. download size 5715 blocks
Thoughts: After dungeon crawling in EO 2 and 3, it was a nice change of pace to explore the world map. EO III tried to break up the monotony of dungeon crawling a megadungeon but it was more of an exercise in frustration navigating the waters to reach other lands. EO IV had much more of a success in breaking up the monotony. It made exploring the overworld so much fun and it felt truly epic!

EOV
1. more creature animation, lot more voices, more in-depth character customization
2. mini story events that give you xp depending on the outcome from your choice.
3. download size is 4364 blocks
5. DLCs that add more customization and more areas to explore
Thoughts: While I don't care for character customization, I do like race skills and master classes. From Persona Q, they ported over the union command where more than one character participates in pulling off a powerful attack or skill.

You can't go wrong with either EO IV or EO V. Just decide what aspect of the game would appeal to you more.

oninowon

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.