Forums

Topic: Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 180

oninowon

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Is this one or EOU2 better for those that've played both?

Personally I would have a hard time choosing between the two. IMHO, I believe EO II had more charm, was more humorous, and the classes were hilariously bizarre. I also feel that it was the hardest of the series but that may be due to it being my very first xp with EO.

EOV is more polished. The map tool is simpler and customizable. The animation is nicer and I like the small touches such as the tidbits of story elements thrown in. I also like that they utilized previous class skills and incorporated them into the classes and races for this iteration of EO.

oninowon

oninowon

So I've come across a couple recipes but I don't know how to combine them. Does one of your characters have to have the skill for that option to pop up?

oninowon

Spoony_Tech

@oninowon I pretty sure if you have the right ingredients and the right cooking tools you can make them at the camp fires in the stratum.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Fenrir6

I have a question for the veterans of this series:
I've never played a full game before, I tried the IV demo but couldn't do much in it (with only 3 uses), then I recently tried the V demo and I'm really liking it!
Considering the big difference in price (10€ for IV vs 50€ for V), which one would you recommend me?

Fenrir6

Twitter:

Ralizah

@Fenrir6 Get EOIV. It's the best and most accessible game in the series. The overworld exploration, in particular, is amazing, and I'm disappointed that EOV didn't expand on this aspect of IV.

The gameplay is largely the same, so if you enjoyed what you played of V, you should enjoy IV as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Fenrir6

@Ralizah Thanks, I won't buy it right now but I'll keep it in mind. The main difference is the classes and I've always liked rogue/assassin like characters, so IV is definitely a good choice (altough V's classes are all great, and the character customisation is deeper)

Fenrir6

Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@Fenrir6 I also agree with IV as well. I'm enjoying V but it feels like a step back without the overworld to explore and they did an excellent job with that too.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SMEXIZELDAMAN

What everyone else said. Etrian Odyssey IV!That one isn't quite as hard as some others too imo

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

oninowon

Fenrir6 wrote:

I have a question for the veterans of this series:
I've never played a full game before, I tried the IV demo but couldn't do much in it (with only 3 uses), then I recently tried the V demo and I'm really liking it!
Considering the big difference in price (10€ for IV vs 50€ for V), which one would you recommend me?

I'll break from the majority and say that both are great fun. Both make it easier for newbies to get into. The question you should be asking is what aspect of the game appeals to you more:
EO IV
1. Has an overworld where the dungeons are spread out but overall have the shortest dungeon levels (I believe it had a total of 13 floors + 3 more post game.).
2. Apparently, IV has a better story.
3. download size 5715 blocks
Thoughts: After dungeon crawling in EO 2 and 3, it was a nice change of pace to explore the world map. EO III tried to break up the monotony of dungeon crawling a megadungeon but it was more of an exercise in frustration navigating the waters to reach other lands. EO IV had much more of a success in breaking up the monotony. It made exploring the overworld so much fun and it felt truly epic!

EOV
1. more creature animation, lot more voices, more in-depth character customization
2. mini story events that give you xp depending on the outcome from your choice.
3. download size is 4364 blocks
5. DLCs that add more customization and more areas to explore
Thoughts: While I don't care for character customization, I do like race skills and master classes. From Persona Q, they ported over the union command where more than one character participates in pulling off a powerful attack or skill.

You can't go wrong with either EO IV or EO V. Just decide what aspect of the game would appeal to you more.

oninowon

Ralizah

Not sure how I feel about the Adventure Episodes in this game. Free EXP is nice, but some of them feel sort of trite.

Walk around, find berry

Don't eat berry

Adventure episode: By exercising caution, you avoided eating the poison berry!
+100EXP

I get that it's supposed to add a meta sorta tabletop RPG feel to it, but... I dunno.

Edited on by Ralizah

Meowpheel

Well, they give you literal travel experience.

The people who didn't the berry were cautious, those who did ended up learning something.

Your smarts went up.

Edited on by Meowpheel

Meowph, that's right!

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ralizah

Has anyone downloaded the FM soundtrack DLC yet?

@Meowpheel I know, I guess it just seems weird that they keep pointing out every time something organically crops up within the game. It's a bit obtrusive and gamey and breaks the mood of the dungeon crawling for me.

Edited on by Ralizah

oninowon

I've been very disappointed with the dlc's offered by Nintendo not just this game but with majority of their other games too. I believe I've only purchased dlc from two 3DS games.

oninowon

SMEXIZELDAMAN

DLC sucks. Etrian Odyssey rocks.

For those that've played the game. How would you say the difficulty compares to other games in the series?
(Note: I've played IV, Millennium Girl and III)

Spoony_Tech

@SMEXIZELDAMAN I thought it started out hard for the first few hours but once you get some levels it does get easier. Probably on par with IV but I though IV started out easier though.

MERG said:

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Ralizah

@SMEXIZELDAMAN Harder than IV, for sure. More in line with the third game.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Thanks for the responses, guys. Trying to decide if I'm putting this on my Christmas list or not...there are so many games

oninowon

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

DLC sucks. Etrian Odyssey rocks.

For those that've played the game. How would you say the difficulty compares to other games in the series?
(Note: I've played IV, Millennium Girl and III)

From hardest to easiest IMHO:
EO II
EO III
EO V
EO IV

I've not played EO I yet and I don't think I ever will so I could not compare that game to the others.

oninowon

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic