Oh dear. Been shaking trees and bothering bees, have you? Or perhaps just harvesting wood for crafting? Fortunately, you're not doomed to forever wander your Animal Crossing: New Horizons island for eternity with a face full of wasp stings. In fact, you've got a couple of options for ridding yourself of unsightly stings if you insist on disturbing wasp nests and aggravating the wretched things.
Here we'll explain how to cure hornet stings and get that beautiful face of yours back to its good old self. If you're after tips on how to catch wasps and other bugs, check out our Animal Crossing: New Horizons bug guide and list. Fishy enthusiasts might find our list of all the fish in Animal Crossing: New Horizons useful, too, including fish that will leaving your island soon and rare fish like the Golden Trout and the Stringfish.
How do you catch wasps in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
The easiest method to catch wasps without going on a Benny Hill-style run around your island is to always approach and shake trees from the 'South' and always have your bug net equipped. If a wasp nest falls from the tree, your character will immediately turn and face it. All you have to do is press 'A' immediately and you'll catch them. Easy!
How do you cure wasp stings in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
However, if you've shaken a wasp's nest out of a tree and been caught by the blighters, worry not. The unsightly stings themselves don't affect gameplay in the slightest, although villagers will comment on your face before other conversation topics are available, so it's worth healing yourself up.
One way to rid yourself of a sting is to sleep it off. Simply save your game, come back the next day and your face will have healed beautifully. Still, if you want to cure wasp stings in Animal Crossing: New Horizons immediately, you'll need Medicine.
Unfortunately, you won't be able to buy any at the beginning of the game unless you have 400 Bells on you. If so, just head to Timmy at Resident Services or Nook's Cranny and get the Medicine that way.
However, why pay money when you can craft Medicine instead? Here's how:
- First things first, return to the the tree you shook and pick up the wasp's nest (you'll need it to craft the Medicine).
- Now find an island resident milling around somewhere and talk to them. Taking pity on you, they will give you a Medicine recipe which you can use to craft a magical string-zapping ointment.
- You'll need a DIY workbench, so probably best head to Resident Services. Before using the recipe, you'll have to learn it, so press 'X' to open your inventory, select the recipe and get studying.
- With the recipe 'memorised', head to the workbench and select the Medicine to craft. You'll need the aforementioned wasp nest and 3 clumps of weeds (easily found around the island).
- Once you have the requisite materials, craft them and - bish-bash-bosh - you'll have the Medicine you need! Remember, you can tap 'A' while crafting to speed things up.
- Obviously the Medicine will have little effect if you don't actually take it, so open your inventory to find it and use it. Congratulations! Whether ointment or oral, it sure does the trick and your face will now return to its normal fabulous form. Job done.
How do I avoid wasps in Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
Well, the easiest way is not to shake their nests out of trees. Still, with trees hiding a lot of useful materials, from items to Bells to pieces of timber, you're likely to have many run-ins with them. Your options for dealing in them are fourfold:
- Stand there and take it like the nasty tree-shaking bee botherer you are. Then follow the steps above.
- Run away and take refuge in a tent, house or building.
- Whip out your bug net and catch the wasps with a well-timed swipe. Mess up the timing, though, and you can probably guess the consequences.
- It turns out that swarming wasps don't like to party. Keep a party popper with you at all times (purchase them from Timmy & Tommy at Nook's Cranny) and disperse the swarm with one thusly:
We hope this helped restore your face to its former glory. Also, we know wasps and bees are very different; bees are beautiful, bumbling, docile creatures and wasps are minions of Beelzebub himself.
Of course, you could always just not bother the poor creatures in the first place! Let us know if you've learned from your mistakes in the comments below.
This article is part of our Animal Crossing: New Horizons walkthrough, which includes a Complete Fish List, Complete Bug List and Complete Sea Creatures List. If you're looking for specific fish or bug, we can tell you how to catch the elusive Coelacanth, Mahi-Mahi, Giant Trevally, Stringfish, Golden Trout and all the Sharks, along with a list of Fish And Bugs leaving at the end of September. We've also compiled a Complete Villager List and a Complete List of K.K. Slider Songs, as well as selections of the Best Custom Design Codes and Islands we've found so far, as well as islands you can visit using Dream Address Codes.
We can also help with How to Spot Redd's Fake Paintings and Statues, How to Make Bells Fast, How to Breed Flowers, How to Get more DIY Recipes, How to Upgrade Nook's Cranny, how to make friends with special characters like Gulliver, Sable, Label and Wisp, plus tips on using the Star Wand, Tool Ring, Rock Trick, Cutting Down and Moving Trees, using amiibo on Harv's Island, How to Back Up Your Island Data and much more.
And finally Where to Buy Animal Crossing: New Horizons on Nintendo Switch if for some reason you haven't yet picked up the game.