In each Animal Crossing game, there's something for everyone to love, and that's never been more true than with Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Some enjoy fishing, others spend their days breeding flowers or hunting fossils. However, we have a feeling that — like us — the majority of players also have an unhealthy obsession with shopping.
For those hooked on collecting in-game furniture and sundry household wares, you're likely eager to get your hands on some new goods at Nook's Cranny — and wondering how exactly to make this happen. Having Timmy and Tommy move out of the initial Resident Services tent into a shop of their own is a great first step, but that's just the beginning...
Upgrading Nook's Cranny in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
How do you expand the shop?
While official sources have been a bit vague, the requirements we know for certain to update Nook's Cranny are as follows:
- 29 days of active game playtime
- "Active", meaning: if you're planning to commit some time crimes and engage in some clock-altering time travel shenanigans, you'll need to do it one day at a time
- For those who have lost all concept of time, your "days played" can be checked in the "Active Island Resident" task progress on your Nook Miles app
- 30 each of fish / bugs / fossils donated to museum (seemingly)
It appears there may also be other basic requirements - which have often been fulfilled by most players after the 29 day mark. However, if you've done all of these things, and hit the 29-day mark, have patience: the upgrade will not always happen immediately.
Of course, it will also take one full day in the game for the shop to be remodeled - during which time, you will be unable to buy or sell anything with Timmy or Tommy.
What's in the expanded Nook's Cranny?
The upgrade to Nook's Cranny has many fancy new features, including:
- A wider selection of items for purchase
- More tools (sporting new designs like Star Nets and Elephant Watering Cans - which are, alas, just as breakable as the boring ones you'd craft yourself)
- More furnishings to purchase (some on the extremely expensive end)
- Expanded wallpaper / flooring selections every day
- A timer! for... timing things, and... stuff
- Two "hot items" per day (versus just one at the previous shop) so you can make bank
- However, it appears from initial research that these "hot items" in the expanded shop are also much more difficult to find or craft
Will there be further upgrades to Nook's Cranny in the future?
Although there are no indications of further expansions to Nook's Cranny yet, most of the previous games have included three different shop expansions, so it's at least possible we'll see more to come for the Nooks down the road.
Has Nook's Cranny been upgraded on your island yet? What is your favourite new feature in the shop? Do you expect there to be more upgrades in the future? Expand the comment section with your thoughts below!
This article is part of our Animal Crossing: New Horizons walkthrough, which includes a Complete Fish List, Complete Bug List and Complete Sea Creatures List. If you're looking for specific fish or bugs, we can tell you how to catch the elusive Coelacanth, Mahi-Mahi, Giant Trevally, Stringfish, Golden Trout and all the Sharks and Beetles, along with a full list of critters leaving at the end of the month (unless you visit Kapp'n's Boat Tour islands, of course!).
We can also help with How to Spot Redd's Fake Paintings and Statues, How to Make Bells Fast, How to Breed Flowers, How to Get more DIY Recipes, How to Upgrade Nook's Cranny, where and when to find special characters like Gulliver, Sable, Label, Wisp, Celeste, Pirate Gulliver and Jack, plus tips on using the Star Wand, Tool Ring, Rock Trick, Cutting Down and Moving Trees, using amiibo on Harv's Island, How to Back Up Your Island Data, How to Time Travel, How to Get a 5-Star Island Rating and a whole lot more.
If it's new content you're looking for help with, we can help you find gyroids, unlock Brewster's café, use the new Pro Camera App for selfies, enact new ordinances, get the beloved Froggy Chair, and even learn How to Cook.
And finally, Where to Buy Animal Crossing: New Horizons on Nintendo Switch, if for some reason you haven't yet picked up the game, and How To Buy The Happy Home Paradise DLC, too!