Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,361 to 1,380 of 2,134

Snatcher

So uh, I should say this now, But If you are getting the steam deck, and want to play DDLC, might as well wait so you can play it on there for free.

(Then again, it might not be on the system so there's that.)

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Matt_Barber

Dezzy wrote:

@Matt_Barber

Sure, but you made it sound a lot worse than it actually is, by saying it would be good for older titles and indies. Obviously when games like Elden Ring will probably fit on it, it's really not that bad at all. That's probably the most anticipated game of next year.

No, it really is that bad. We're already in a situation where the average AAA game is going to be too big to fit on the base model. There will be some exceptions, for sure, but you will be wanting an SSD model not to be very limited in your selections.

For reference, Here's a list of the top ten AAA games on Steam right now:
F1 2022 - 80GB - No
Halo: Master Chief Collection - 43GB - Unlikely
New World - 50GB - Very unlikely
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 150GB - No
GTA V - 72GB - No
Civ VI - 12GB - Yes
FF XIV - 60GB - No
Sea of Thieves - 50GB - Very unlikely
Monster Hunter Stories 2 - 28GB - Yes
Fallout 76 - 80GB - No

That's two games out of ten, plus three more that I can't definitively rule out until we know how much space the OS will reserve but are likely to be very tight at best.

As for Elden Ring, do we even have the official requirements yet?

Matt_Barber

6ch6ris6

@Matt_Barber well with halo you can actually choose which titles you wanna install. or is 43gb the minimum? i just installed the game 2 weeks ago and already forgot

btw halo 2 on MCC has horrible frametimes. so annoying

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Matt_Barber

@6ch6ris6 I believe that's just for the first game. The entire collection is 125GB if you want the lot of them at once.

Matt_Barber

skywake

Another thing worth considering if we're talking storage. It does have a USB Type C port which behaves like any Type C port on a laptop. There'd be nothing stopping you from plugging in a portable HDD or something. Probably a more viable option for when this thing is docked but still, worth noting.

No reason why you couldn't have a library on a HDD sitting next to this thing while it's docked. A second tier of storage as a ~256GB microSD card for less frequently played games or stuff you might want to play. Then have the stuff you're currently playing or always want access to on the main storage. Then do the old "cleaning the fridge" shuffle every now and then to move games. Maybe even having a further tier of games again that you just have installed on your PC and only play via in home streaming.

With that said, I still wouldn't go for the 64GB SKU myself......

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Dezzy

@Matt_Barber

Well a top 10 list is not necessarily representative of steam games overall. I mean for a start, about half of those are multiplayer games or games that have heavy multiplayer components, which obviously tends to add to the overall filesize. But if you're not a multiplayer gamer, as I'm not, then that's less of an issue. Fallout 4 is only 30GB, compared to the 80GB of Fallout 76 for example.

Also Halo can be downloaded individual game at a time, and every single Halo except 5 is under 50GB. (which is mostly just because they never separated the single player from the multiplayer in Halo5. I'm guessing Infinite probably will be under 50GB for the single player campaign)

I think the best argument for buying the 256GB version is just that the average filesize might increase over the next decade, while the minimum performance requirements might not that much, meaning the Steamdeck will be fine running a AAA game in 5 years time, but it might not fit on the 64GB version.

That said, the filesizes could also shrink over the next decade if the Steamdeck ends up being a massive success and developers start targeting versions of their game for that platform specifically. Stuff like texture sizes wouldn't need to be as big with a 720p screen, so a lot of those filesizes would drop quite a bit, as textures are one of the biggest factors in a game's filesize.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Matt_Barber

@Dezzy I went with the top ten because that's surely the most representative of the games that people want to play, where any other selection could be cherry picked.

As for Fallout 4, it's nearly six years old now and pre-dates the bloat I'm talking about. Just applying the free updates and texture packs will double the size of it though, and that's a pretty good indication as to how a comparable newer game will ship.

While it's possible that developers could implement some sort of smart delivery system, like Microsoft does with the Series S/X, so games only come with the textures they need for the display it's got, I doubt that's going to get widespread adoption. The attitude of PC developers for the past forty years has largely been that if your hardware isn't good enough, you should upgrade it.

Still, at least the Steam Deck will be upgradeable. You might just have a bit of a wait for the parts and it'll be a non-trivial task.

Matt_Barber

JaxonH

Slowly coming to terms with the realization I won't have this device for another year.

Hard to stay excited when it's so far off. I will have my handheld Portal 2 with Gyro. That day will come- the day I've been dreaming of since I bought a Vita in 2012.

But it's gonna be a while yet. Best get comfy.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Zuljaras

@JaxonH If everything is ok next year I will get it too Once it is properly tested and guides are available online

Fallout 4 in portable mode is a dream come true and still there are so many PC games that are a handheld players wet dream ...

I also love that fact that they are so open about not locking the device with DRM crap.

Edited on by Zuljaras

JaxonH

@Zuljaras
May want to reserve one now. The estimated shipping queue is already well into next year. By the time it's out and reviews drop, queues may be into 2023.

Can always opt to not purchase once you get the invitation email to order.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Zuljaras

@JaxonH I prefer to wait. Even with reservations many could just ask for returns if the first wave is not reviewed as satisfactory.

Either way I am very excited about this. And that comes from a guy that play his console games exclusively in physical form But PC games are just fine in digital form.

redd214

Just reserved one of these suckers yesterday, only 5 bucks so why not! Never really been a PC gamer but this could go nicely as a portable xbox/ps in my opinion. Really hope it does well and spawns other similarly priced alternatives.

redd214

Solaine

@JaxonH That was a really great list!

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

JaxonH

@Solaine
Took quite a bit of time, lemme tell ya 😀

I figure I have a pretty solid Steam library spanning numerous genres that likely represents many of the games others may own too, or games others would be interested in owning.

Dezzy

They've confirmed that the hard drive on the Steamdeck is upgradable. So if you want huge storage, maybe buy the cheapest model and upgrade yourself?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
They just said it's possible to do it if you tear the thing down, but it's not meant to be upgraded by end consumers. Which means it's buried deep inside underneath a ton of components.

I'm not touching that. Maybe if you're an expert but it would be a major pain the butt, and you'd have to reinstall the Linux based Steam OS afterward as well. I doubt very many people will be attempting to upgrade the NVMe.

Matt_Barber

@JaxonH Yeah, just because there's a slot doesn't mean that it's going to be a easy upgrade. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm pretty sure from what's been said that it won't just be a case of popping the cover off.

Also, the 2230 SSDs are also an uncommon part that doesn't usually come in very high capacities. Unless someone's planning to make a hell of a lot more of them, the supply of 256GB and larger ones is likely to be cornered between Valve and scalpers for the foreseeable future.

Still, as I said before, at least the potential is there if need be.

Edited on by Matt_Barber

Matt_Barber

TheFrenchiestFry

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/07/sony_confirms_nixxes_...

Nixxes is basically being turned into the "PC port team" for SIE/PlayStation

It's gonna be cool seeing more people be exposed to a library of exclusives I really like. It's not enough for me personally to drop PlayStation consoles altogether though

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
While I technically own a PS5, I wouldn't have experienced at least half their exclusives due to lack of Gyro (though I must say- Days Gone AND TLOU2 had it- maybe a trend is starting?). By bringing their games to PC where mouse can be mapped to Gyro, I can actually enjoy these titles. I stopped Horizon Zero Dawn because, aiming with a bow and arrow with pure analog just felt so... archaic. But having played on Steam? It's so much more enjoyable now. Days Gone, way more enjoyable (Gyro wasn't as well done on console). Even Death Stranding, a game I really don't like much (there's aspects I like but it's just not my speed) was, at the very least, more enjoyable.

The other setback to enjoying their games is lack of hybrid play. Which again, is resolved with Steam Deck. The two biggest hurdles have been overcome. I've never been a diehard fan of their exclusives like some are, but there's quite a few I really do love. Same for Xbox. I'm not a MS diehard, but there's a good handful of games I really do love. And like with PS, I just couldn't enjoy Halo with pure analogs. I just couldn't enjoy Gears with pure analogs. Putting their games on Steam is a Godsend.

And that's not just true for PS/Xbox exclusives, it's true for 3rd party games in general. Barring the ones that have received quality ports on Switch with Gyro (Sniper Elite 4 is a great example), there were soooo many games I had written off because they weren't hybrid, and the control scheme was dated. Mass Effect Trilogy- I've owned those games on 360 for years. Own ME3 on Wii U. But without being hybrid with Gyro for the whole Trilogy, I never played them. Now I will. Already tested Legendary Edition on Steam and the mouse maps perfectly for motion aiming, and while still allowing simultaneous controller inputs (not all games do, and those suck, like Deus Ex).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic