Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 2,134

Ralizah

@TheFrenchiestFry Would you drop PS if their games started coming to PC day and date, or even after a few months?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah Nah. For me honestly I'm so used to playing PlayStation on my TV that since I have that option I go for the console experience most of the time

I only really use PC for multiplatform games. The only reason I'm used to gaming on PC for Xbox titles is because I never owned an Xbox console past the original so them coming to PC if anything just put me off of buying any Xbox systems from them for the forseeable future, whereas I've been supporting Sony and buying all of their stuff for about 12 years and counting. I'll buy all their consoles as long as the games are good. Not to mention there's always third party exclusives like Persona that probably will take years for PC ports anyway

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH The hybrid thing is cool for people who care about it. I personally almost exclusively use my Switch in handheld mode so that novelty was never quite there for me. Only times I'd dock it would be for Smash and some games that just look really blurry in handheld mode like Xenoblade 2

For games like shooters that may more or less necessitate gyro, I just play on PC anyway because I just can't play stuff like DOOM with a controller to begin with. I tried getting into the Switch versions of both DOOM and Wolf 2 and just couldn't really get the hang of playing those games with anything that wasn't a mouse/keyboard, so that isn't really reason enough for me to go with Steam Deck

Steam Deck will probably make an insanely cool PlayStation Portable successor given Sony's now basically done with handhelds for the time being but I'm honestly fine with just my console/PC setup I have now. I'm not exactly in a rush for another hybrid system when it'll probably end up being more like a dedicated handheld for myself while I just play games on the TV with stuff like Steam Link on my PC or my PS5

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

I kinda wish Steam Deck had the more modular design of the Switch.

As I've been playing The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, I've played it...

in handheld mode (primarily on the Lite, but also some on the bigger system)

in tabletop mode next to my computer

and in docked mode, where I burned through the majority of the first case.

All pretty much seamless transitions. The system just morphs to fit the needs of the moment.

I know the Deck will have a separately available dock that feeds input into a TV or monitor, which is awesome, but you won't be able to play with the same controller in handheld/docked mode, and the transitions will take time, since I doubt any of the current third-party controllers will seamlessly connect to the Deck instantaneously like the joy-cons/pro controller do with the Switch.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Always loved mouse. But hated keyboard as typewriter layout wasn't designed for gaming. And never liked having to sit at a desk to play. Always lounge back in a leather recliner. Some people are into it, but I've always preferred a lean back with TV approach. Plus it doesn't work for handheld play.

With that in mind, Gyro has been the perfect alternative. It bridges the gap enough that games actually become fun to play, where player intent is more closely reflected in game, all while retaining comfort of the controller. Trackpads are also really good for some games, but not always. Having the option is great though.

Gyro takes some practice but once you get accustomed to it and learn the right amount of movements and sensitivities, I can't play other way. It feels so natural, like my mind is automatically registering inputs on the screen. I think aim there, and I'm immediately aiming there.

Steam Deck has me excited like few systems have before. It's exactly what I've been wanting. I'm so happy we've finally reached a point where PC is truly open. Not just in terms of software, but hardware as well. You want a desk experience with a mouse? You can do that. You want a console experience on TV with a controller? (That's me) You can do that too. Want a handheld experience hybrid with the TV via cross save? (Also me) You can now do that too. Which, you could technically do the latter already but, no Gyro, not enough power to run all games, not enough battery, and was too expensive.

The hybrid revolution is truly upon us.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Ya, it's not going to offer the full advantages Switch does. It's not feather light and pocketable, there's no tabletop, no modular controllers, and switching won't be quite as seemless.

But, it's as close as we've ever gotten with PC. Close enough that, despite it not quite measuring up in those respects, it's still good enough for me.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

RR529

Is there a laptop that could run Flight Sim well at 1080p?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@JaxonH I think it'd help if Valve created another controller that had the innovations of the Steam Deck/OG Steam Controller, but wasn't... y'know... a giant pile of garbage with tiny buttons and one analog stick that was nearly in the middle of the device. I dug mine out and have been using it a bit this week, and I'll just never understand who thought this design was going to be a good idea.

They could make something more along the lines of what's on the Steam Deck in terms of controls for use on the Desktop. That'd help a lot with preserving the continuity of the user experience, I think.

@RR529 The recommended specs for Microsoft Flight Sim are pretty low. Unless there's something I'm not understanding, pretty much any semi-modern gaming PC should be able to handle it WELL.

Buizel

Just learnt that the Steam Deck will have a suspend mode...how is this only just becoming a thing? Lack of a suspend feature is perhaps my biggest gripe with PC gaming (especially in a world with XBox Series' advanced suspend feature), so this is a big deal for me.

I'm still cautious, but the more I learn about the Steam Deck the more I'm intrigued.

At least 2'8".

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I would like to see a v2 Steam Controller as well, based off the new Steam Deck design.

But even if they don't, I'm just glad the SC exists. Most games on PC I play with a DualSense anyways- superior rumble, superior Gyro with magnometer, TouchPad adds 2 buttons which makes Start and Select easier to press and frees Select up for screenshots (though the Mute button can be used for that also if needed).

There are certain games SC works better for though, and while it's not a perfect controller, it does make some games far more playable and enjoyable. Ya, the buttons are a bit far in, especially Y, but the grips add 2 easy to press buttons so remapping Y to the right grip solves that issue. Then just map something not as important to Y. Basically, it's still usable, even if flawed. I bought a spare just in case they never make a revision. It's too important of a controller to risk not having a working unit down the line.

Pro tip on the trackpads. Don't use high friction and don't use none. Stick to Low or medium. I've played games where the control config had sensitivity way to high, where I couldn't make fine movements. Yet others were way too low where I'd have to spin the camera with my thumb multiple times to turn around. One slow swipe from left to right all the way across should land about 270 degrees around (because real swipes won't be from edge to edge, which gives enough buffer to still turn 180 in a single swipe). Then again, I've grown fond of low friction where you swipe and immediately tap to stop its spinning. With practice you learn the timing for 180 degree turns.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@Buizel
So, I've got my gaming PC connected to my TV like a console. And while I can always just close the game out, minimize Steam and put the PC in sleep mode (analog controls mouse as long as Steam is running, even in the background), it's not quite as fast as a suspend.

So what I did was make a custom shortcut on the desktop for Ctrl+Shift+K and tied it to sleep mode. Then I mapped Ctrl+Shift+K to a certain button combination on my controller I'd never accidentally use. And that would instantly sleep the PC even with the game running. But then when I'd resume I'd sometimes have issues with fullscreen and stuff so I stopped using it.

Handhelds are easier though. Like a laptop flipping the lid to hibernate. I did that for my Win 2.

Buizel

@JaxonH That's very much my issue - there are certainly ways to suspend your game on PC, but there's a definite lack of consistency and reliability (especially if you're like me and use your PC [laptop] for other purposes, and often move it between places and connect different displays). For this reason I just find it simpler and safer to save and close my game each time - but I'd be lying if I didn't say this puts me off starting a PC gaming session sometimes.

At least 2'8".

skywake

Random plug. The brother of one of my colleagues just released a game "The Forgotten City" on Steam. IGN have it a 9

So feel free to buy it because it'll make my colleague feel slightly more inadequate if his little brother becomes some kind of indie dev millionaire

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BruceCM

Assume we haven't heard of that before, @skywake .... Give us an idea what sort of game it is? It's all very well it being a 9 if it's a genre I dislike or something

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

skywake

@BruceCM
I haven't played it. Apparently its a dialogue driven game that started as a Skyrim mod. Presumably reasonably good for what it is if it's getting a 9.

Australian developer, there's a team of three of them I believe

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BruceCM

Oh, that one ..... I'd heard about it before but they hadn't said much about just what they planned!

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Yeah, got it now, thanks, @Link-Hero .......

SW-4357-9287-0699

RR529

Well, I just ordered my first gaming laptop from Best Buy, the Asus Tuf Dash 15.

I'm not too knowledgeable about PC specs, but it has an RTX 3070, Intel i7 processor, 16 GBs Ram, and a 1TB SSD, and from what I understand this should allow me to play most upcoming games at least at 1080p?

Pretty much got it in place of a next gen console, since I don't care too much about 4K.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

TheFrenchiestFry

@RR529 bruh forget 1080p you're practically set for 4K gaming if you have the appropriate screen for it lol

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic