Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 45,841 to 45,860 of 96,323

Losermagnet

@Apportal I use to tell people quarantine wasn't a big deal to me because I'd been social distancing for years.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

porto

@Losermagnet true true. However, I'm not going to sit here and say COVID hasn't affected me at all. It has, and in some serious ways too. But for the most part it's been treating me well.

Tried the Walmart pickup order thing a couple months ago, and wondered why I ever went into stores in the first place. People saying the lightbulb, cars, the internet, was the best invention? Nah. Walmart Pick-up order, is bar none.

I also don't want to start a political debate, but I totally understand. Can't stand politics in general, but it just seems this years the the worst one yet.

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Losermagnet

@Apportal If you don't mind me asking, what happened from COVID? Reason I ask is my wife (and presumably me) had it. The short of it is that we're fine, although my wife's sense of smell and taste have been altered since (which would be about 3 months).

porto

@Losermagnet I had it during May. I got the COVID test taken around the beginning of the month and it came back positive a few days after. During the month, my strength, mindset, and sleep was drastically weakened, but I believe it was the 12th or 13th of July I felt better. My taste seems to be the only thing that's permanently changed, as everything else looks and feels fine. I live alone so no one else was affected.

Although, that's not the only way COVID's affected me. I liked to visit my family very often, but obviously I can't do that now. (After getting COVID once, you really don't want to take any chances.) And yes I can FaceTime them or Zoom, but it really isn't the same. I don't feel as close as I once was with them.

Edited on by porto

porto

Losermagnet

@Apportal Thanks for the reply, glad to hear you got through it. The change in taste really bothers my missus. She says some foods taste like a mouthful of black pepper.

Losermagnet

@Apportal and ditto about not being able to be around family. It's easy to joke about avoiding people, but it does leave you feeling a bit empty inside when you can't see people you love.

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx How dare you have a real life! Aren't we all supposed to be full blown NEETs one this website?!

Joking aside, I 10,000% agree with you on politics right now. It's rancid. It's beyond toxic. This country has gone right into the gutter while I was gone. We're seeing things happening in America that I'd had thought were part of a dystopian future if you'd told me about them even 5 years ago. I legitimately fear the future like I never have in my life. It's actually kind of giving me a sort of resigned fatalism.

(although that is admittedly tied to my own personal issues)

Epic Games is a dirty company. But none of my issues with the game, are with the game aspects themselves. Although the genre isn't my cup of tea, battle royales are a perfectly fine idea. What I don't like is the way they are monitizing it. Microtransactions for levels are disgusting. And overall, they directly market the game to children, pressuring them to buy buy buy. Just between now, and my previous conversation with @MarioLover92 I went out to dinner with my cousin, aunt and uncle, and she told me that the amount of money that has been spent on the game by their family at this point is over 1000 dollars at this point! Just on Fortnite! Not counting the console or anything. Just on microtransactions!

Epic Games is laughing at their player base. So much. I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a single game, even over the span of years. No way. If you had bought, every single Pokemon game, all main series title, all versions, over the last 25 years, not adjusting for inflation, and also counting the extra cost of the Pokewalker from HG/SS, and the DLC in SW/SH and then tax, it would be about 1400-1500 dollars. But that's over 25 years, buying all the games new, and all the versions of each game.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ogo79

its dangerous to go alone!
take this.
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

porto

Saw a Talking Tom game on the Eshop today. Friends, we have officially left Jesus.

porto

porto

"Jesus, get the stake, we're doing another sacrifice!" - God

porto

Blooper987

@Apportal I’m officially converting to Xboxism. What even is the reason for the popularity of that stupid thing. Do kids really like it or something😂

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

porto

Don’t know. I’m ashamed to admit I played it years ago. Absolute garbage. The one I saw on the whip was like a platformer-type thingy. Still probably trash tho

porto

Eel

My mom absolutely loves her My Talking Tom apps on her phone, she keeps both My Talking Tom and My Talking Tom 2 active and plays with them every day.

Those are pet sims with many mini games to play though, the one on the eshop looks like a generic runner.

Oh gosh. The didn't even add a game description, and left placeholder text where their copyright information should be.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

porto

Talking Tom is one of those games you play for a couple days then get so bored you end up deleting it, or not touching it until you remember you had the app 2 weeks later and THEN delete it.

porto

Eel

The ones my mom plays are not the plain “I repeat what you say! Lolz!” toylike apps. These are literal pet sims with mini games, and currency, and stuff.

They’re kind of like their own thing.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

porto

Oh so like the newer ones? Nice. I found them to be a bit more fun, but still meh. But hey, if your mother found something she enjoys, good for her.

My mother plays something called “Cooking Diary”. It’s was her only pastime raising 4 children in the olden days. She cooked a lot better irl then in the game lol

porto

Sunsy

Just spotted the Talking Tom game on the eShop, and I'm surprised it's not even listed on Nintendo's own website. I usually check their site when I don't feel like turning on my Switch, Wii U, or 3DS to check new releases and sales.

Here I thought it was the app where you make the cat talk and thinking "wait, I can talk into my Switch?" It looks like a spin-off game of sorts.

Personal note, I don't mind mobile game ports as long as they remove the mobile stuff like ads. Picked up Angry Birds Trilogy recently on 3DS (saw the second movie, and wanted to just have the game), and enjoying the game without the stuff that mobile games have.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Eel

@Sunsy The eshop profile for the game seems unfinished, I wonder if they released it by accident.

Look at it, there's no description for the game, and the copyright information only says "Lorem Ipsum".

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Tyranexx

@Losermagnet HA! People like us were social distancing before it was cool! XD I dislike crowds and unauthorized people invading my "space bubble". I'm also perfectly happy just hanging around my home and general neighborhood; I do like hanging out with others now and again, but it's not something I "need" other than once in awhile. I have enough stuff in the hobby department (game backlog and book backlogs, especially) to keep me busy for well over a year. Probably two.

Really, other than working from home for three months and wearing a mask out in public (which I don't really mind as it usually isn't for several hours straight), my life hasn't really changed all that much.

@Heavyarms55 Yep, the news cycle here is pretty rancid these days, to the point where I sometimes have to try to get the full true story from many sources to piece everything together. Almost everything is instant and reactionary before all details come to light. X person did THIS! It was on FILM! Oh no, that's horrible! Ban them from everything! Lock them up and throw away the key! But wait, that recording was only part of the story, more context was discovered later that adds some reasonable clarity to X person's actions. Unfortunately, when later details shed more light on a matter, many people move on before learning it (I would love to cite a couple of examples here, but we're probably already touching the line a bit lol). And that's not covering all the frequent analyses on different topics with different networks that goes far beyond their intended function: reporting the facts in as unbiased a manner as possible. With election ads....While I'm better at avoiding them these days due in part to the visual YT content I consume (IE Not politics), most of them in general are just as bad, if not worse. Tell me what YOU will do with your position, not what your main opponent allegedly WILL do wrong or supposedly did wrong two decades ago. How will YOU fix our problems?

On Battle Royales: Oh no, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the genre; it isn't for me, but I can see why it appeals to so many people. If games like Fall Guys are anything to go by.

On microtransactions: Seems like we have similar ideas about that too. I need to make clear that I have no problems with microtransactions or any kinds of DLC that are purely cosmetic/extra content and aren't needed to access certain critical sections of a game or give the player any REALLY unfair advantages over those who don't throw in as much (if any) cash. But pay-to-win models, or options like what Fortnite has to make the grind a lot easier? That's taking it a bit far. I truly wonder how much cash the average player DOES splash into Fortnite. The marketing towards easily swayed kids is what really bothers me. As the game is rated T/PEGI 12, it also bothers me that some kids who play the game, including a young relative of mine, are way under that age threshold. I'm not a stickler to the letter with ratings - I'm fine with a responsible 11 or 12-year-old playing such a game, for example - but the guidelines exist for a reason.

Another thing that bothers me with things like V-bucks and other fake currency is that they literally have no value outside of their respective games. It seems like throwing away real money, especially on things you don't really need. Once that real cash is exchanged, it's all gone. I realize the value for something is in the eye of the beholder. In my case, it's really hard for me to see the value of time and cash I've splashed on a game unless I 1. have something physical to show for it, that I can resell or loan out, 2. Have spent enough time with said game to make it feel worthwhile, and/or 3. can revisit that bought content when I want.

...And this isn't really my business, but I really feel like your aunt, uncle, and cousin should budget out the Fortnite spending. That seems like a LOT of cash. If they haven't already, I'd also suggest talking to the young lad about the power of marketing and the alternatives he could do in order to "get ahead" in the game and make his game time more rewarding in the long run.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic