Forums

Topic: NintendoLife Artists Thread

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 2,537

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight That sounds absolutely amazing, I never had any talent with fiction despite my writing ability. Dealing with loss and mortality is very difficult so it takes the right voice to get through. Any chance I can read it? It’d be good for feedback and I’m sure you could ask a number of people here too!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

VoidofLight

@TheJGG I haven't done much with it yet. I've been planning it out for a while, and I'm still getting all my ideas out before I start, as well as researching it. However, when I do need beta readers, I'll be happy to let you read it!

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight I'll be here, thanks for offering! In terms of length it seems you're gonna be writing an epic, so I can't wait to hear more! This is artistry too!

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

VoidofLight

@TheJGG I'll probably post updates on progress after a while, if I remember to do so. I just hope that I'll end up being able to tell the story I want to tell in a good manner honestly.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight One gripe I've had with video games is that whenever I read dialogue out loud, it doesn't make sense in today's English vernacular. Are you planning on inventing a new language for your world, or will you use different real-world accents to reflect different locations?

Of course there's also the matter of worldbuilding. Try and create some lore, like a history of the world. Whether you know this already or not it's still worth mentioning anyhow.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

VoidofLight

@TheJGG I'll probably be using different languages if I decide to add different races, but most humans will probably speak in modern English. I might include accents for different parts of the world, but I'll need to learn how to properly write dialogue for accents, so I can accurately portray them.
Most of the work so far has been with World Building, and I got a few pieces of lore that'll be mentioned in the book itself as key plot points, but I haven't made many areas or lore for said areas yet.

Effectively, I have the main cast done except for redoing their bio's in my notebook, in order to incorporate the newer ideas I have due to the bios being a bit older.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight One way you could introduce a conversation in a foreign language is this;

He lurked in the shadows, waiting attentively for any sign of the passing garrison. Finally one of the guards spoke, but in the language of [place name]. (in italics) "Did you start looking for the intruder?" he asked.

Good thing you've accounted for lore, sometimes in video games the lore is more interesting than the main story, such is its power. With solid lore your world can come alive!

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

VoidofLight

@TheJGG Yeah. It makes the world feel more alive, and even adds the impression that there's more to the world's story that's unsaid. I feel like Breath of the Wild is a good example in terms of a piece of media doing pretty well with told and untold lore, making Hyrule feel like there's more going on in it than being told to the player.

jedgamesguy

@VoidofLight Things like stumbling upon books full of lore, or the Zora monuments was really satisfying to see. It broadened the scope of the world and made it a living, breathing organism. If you were developing a video game instead of writing a book I could advise you to write tons of lore books to put across the world. You could, however get away with writing a fake excerpt from an in-world book, and writing it in as a preface, a passage at the start of a chapter, or otherwise.

I'm an avid reader (though much hasn't intrigued me lately, so it gives the impression I've gone off it), and that's why I intend to buy Disco Elysium when it releases on Switch in Q3 2021. It has so much text, over 1.2 million words throughout the game. In a standard novel format that would translate to about 4,300 pages of full text, which is just shocking.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

VoidofLight

@TheJGG I actually need to become an avid reader honestly. I don’t read nearly as many books as I should. I started my copy of Jurassic park a while back, but never finished it.

jedgamesguy

I arranged Shin Megami Tensei III's Menu theme in a short amount of time; just 38 minutes. I recorded all of it and made a timelapse of sorts!

@Zuljaras Beautiful work mate. All I can say is, the work you put in never fails to astound! Having said that of course, I'm no pro, but I agree with @Mr-Fuggles777, the hood looks super thick and almost loses the archaic sense of mystery. Nothing too huge though!

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Mr-Fuggles777

@Zuljaras I can't draw so take what I say with a pinch of salt but that one doesn't look as clean as your other drawings - it looks too heavy around the head and shoulders and gets difficult to read whats going on.

Not criticising your work at all mate so sorry if it comes across as that

Edited on by Mr-Fuggles777

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

Zuljaras

@TheJGG @Mr-Fuggles777 criticism is welcome as always guys!!!

I did it like that to be more of a hunchback but the hunch is actually more corpses. My vision is that his death animation to be green puss leating from the dark of the hood and corpses to fall from below the robe until it is empty

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras I kinda agree with the observations about the hood, but great drawing nonetheless, once again.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras I actually don't think it's flat: to me, it actually seems too thick and rounded. Taking away the extra rim/edge would probably already make a significant difference.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX Ahh I get it. I wanted him rounded as there are corpses beneath the robe. The player will see them after defeating the boss and they start falling on the ground from inside the robes. Nobody will ever see the actual form of Cavadun.

Btw the inspiration behind the fat/hooded figure from Faxanadu:

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/File:Faxanadu_enemy_Charron.png

The unit is called Charron.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Anti-Matter

Untitled
Alberto is the oldest and the biggest Sky Boxer from all Legendary Sky Boxer. He is a 40 years old anthro albatross, with big muscular body and the widest wing span. He is master of soaring in the sky. Apparently, he started thinking to resign from Sky Boxing due to his age and currently he has his own Sky Boxing gym to drill the young lads who become Sky Boxer apprentices. He trains both Jayden and Russell after school dismissal and still wondering the conflict between Russell and Jayden with Endymion.
He is also like beach so he expanded his career as seaside lodge keeper during summer season.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Aha, I see. Well, in that case, I understand. That figure also looks decidedly rounded, so I see where you got it from. Well, at least it's no anthro...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic