Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 5,561 to 5,580 of 6,555

jump

Movies and stuff I’ve seen over the last few days!

The Age Of Innocence, one of Martin Scorsese’s less celebrated films due to it is not gangsters but instead a romance film about the posh in 1800s who are trapped in society because they are worried about their allowances and levels, those poor sods! In a way it’s exhausting to watch as it’s told through stiff upper class Edwardian dialogue so you’re looking at body language, reading in between the lines, following where their camera is leading you etc. I loved its humour like a moment when Winona Ryder is annoyingly happy so they zoom into her face to make her look mental. I had a thought, is Daniel Day Lewis the greatest actor of all time? I’m having a hard time coming up with a solid counter like Pacino became a parody of himself, Joaquin Phoenix maybe as he often saves films that shouldn’t work, I like Cate Blanchett however I think she’s missing a movie to really sell her skills and Laurence Olivier seems correct but I’ve not seen enough of his work to confidently say yes.

The Autopsy Of Jane Doe, I got 10 mins in to it then realise I’ve watched it before, I need a Letterbox account to keep track of what I’ve seen. It’s part body horror, part mystery, part supernatural and all naked corpse on table film by the guy that made the awesome Trollhunter movie. The set up and slow build were really well done but there’s a few bits of silly however it doesn’t stop this being a really good horror movie. Also true story, I know someone who worked in a morgue and they said because they spend all day inhaling dead body particles their farts would smell of dead people!

The Littler Mermaid: That New One, forget the outrage over it’s a black mermaid as people should actually be angry that it’s a film for kids but it’s over 2 hours long! If they were adding stuff from the original fairy tale like she wanted to be human because humans have souls, she needs to kill the prince to turn back into a mermaid and every time she walks on land using her hu-man legs it’s like walking on broken glass for her then great or even if they spend time figuring out how a mermaid has intercourse with her fish parts that would warrant the extra time but no it’s just more kids stuff. The movie itself is fine, usual enjoyable Disney fluff which I’m sure people will hate with a passion because they can’t grasp its for children.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Kermit1doesmath

@jump wait... The new Little Mermaid remake is out... Man time flies playing Zelda.

dysgraphia awareness human

Anti-Matter

@Owl1
Little Mermaid live action movie by Disney will be released on 26 May 2023 at cinema.

Anti-Matter

Rambler

@jump
They could do the Big Mermaid - part human, part whale shark.
Or part Angler Fish, that might be fun.

I thought DD-L was counted as the best modern-day actor by the chattering classes?
It's a mystery to me how Pacino is seen as the greatest - he's mostly ham after Michael 1&2, which is a shame as that bit in the restaurant in 1 is incredible.
Larry's best role is Zeus in clash of the titans - no, I mean his stage stuff...
Isabelle Huppert? John Hurt?

Or is it really Keanu Reeves?

Rambler

jump

@Owl1 It's not out yet, I saw it at a special screening. It must have been special as I didn't have to pay for popcorn, I felt like a real princess!

@Rambler That's the thing, I wouldn't say Dannny Boi Day Lewis is the bestest but I can't shout at someone say "Nah, you're wrong becuase of actor X!" and win that arguement easily. I'm leaning towards Tom Hanks however that seems too sappy and everyone else I can think of like Sean Penn, Christopher Plummer or Peter O Toole don't seem right. John Hurt is a good shout. If it was up to me I'd say Danny Trejo is the GOAT as he's a just cool bad arse!

Isabelle Hupper reminds me I want to see EO.

Also when did Keanu become cool? Everyone liked his films but use to make fun of him because he couldn't act in them.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
Keanu Reeves really can't act, but there was that idea about him being an anti-actor, and therefore the best, or something.

Tom Hank's best role is in Dragnet.
Speaking of 80s Hank's films, who though having a character being a voyeur as a lovable characteristic was okay in a family film?

The coolest actor ever is Clint in the Good, the bad, and the Ugly, or Takeshi Kitano in Sonatine (the gun fight in the lift! My god).

Edit: I was going to link to the lift scene, but it's insanely violent, funnily enough. It's on YT though.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Sunsy

Mom and I watched some favorites last few times we watched movies. Tonight, Mother's Day means Mom's pick, which was Top Gun. We both enjoyed it together, fun timing, as I've been playing the classic PC game Strike Commander recently. The other night, watched Trolls because I was in the mood for it.

Speaking of Trolls, this was on my mind this evening. Trolls Band Together is honestly one movie I'm looking forward to the most. Never felt this way about a movie before. I always looked forward to movies that interest me, but I don't think I ever felt this excited for a movie before. Just waiting until November comes, probably going to watch both movies and the two holiday specials before it comes out.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

jump

@Rambler Pfft, they act cool but Danny Trejo is cool!

@Professor_Plumber I'd say it happened around John Wick, before that he was more like Mark Wahlberg a safe actor but not really someone you cared about. Even before The Matrix Keanu had Speed, Point Break, Bill & Ted, The Devil's Advocate etc so he was known and liked but not overly taken seriously. It's more like a generational thing happened to (give it a while and even the most hated things becomes your childhood and therefore sacred), the stories of him being a nice guy and the move from biggest budget movies to the mid-sized ones like John Wick (where you stop worrying about pleasing everyone which unintentionally makes it harder to people to gravitate to unlike smaller films which goes in hard for a specific audience) turned everything around to him being celebrated so much.

Speaking of Keanu, I really like Destination Wedding a film of his no one talks about. It's basically a bitter rom com where he and Winona Ryder just moan and complain the entire time.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
And My Own Private Idaho.

That description of Destination Wedding reminds me of It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, which, despite nearly being 90 years old, is incredibly funny.

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I'm aware of it but to be honest It Happened One Night isn't that high on my list what with Clark Gable being rapey.

Then again if I exclude not watching a movie because of scumbags then there's very little films to see like no Pixar because of John Lasseter, the bulk of Miramax which was the home Tarantino, Kevin Smith etc but also picked up the rights to a lot of world cinema like Amelie, Three Colours, City Of God, Studio Ghibli etc, no X-Men because of Bryan Singer and so on.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

XandertheWise

Movies Im watching today

Suicide Squad 2021
Postcards from the Edge
Last Airbender the Movie

XandertheWise

Sunsy

Watched The Great Muppet Caper on Disney+ tonight, for some reason, I was in the mood for a Muppet movie. I thought I saw this when I was younger, but I think I might be wrong as I don't think I've seen this movie before. Enjoyed it, personally loved how the Muppets kept breaking the fourth wall and saying they're in a movie. It was fun movie for the evening.

Going to tag @Owl1 since I remember he was the resident Muppet guy.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Kermit1doesmath

@Sunsy The Great Muppet Caper is my 2nd favorite movie of all time! Number one is Labyrinth.

Now I'm in the mood to watch it lol

dysgraphia awareness human

Sunsy

@Owl1 Enjoy if you watch. I definitely did.

Now I want a battle royale where muppets parachute out of a plane, lol.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic