Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 5,581 to 5,600 of 6,555

Snatcher

Im actually pretty hyped for this! They look just like the games! The rest might suck but hey, a person can dream no?

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

jump

Stuff I've seen!

Injustice, jebus this was bad! I would have turned it off but I was watching it during my workout so I couldn’t be arsed to find another film. It’s the kind of pathetic bad so you can’t even laugh at like The Room or had ambition it couldn’t reach. It’s a shame as the DC animation studio was fantastic before Bruce Timm left as it was well done and didn’t mess about with Hollywood formulas like the Marvel movies, they just adapted the comics. This joins my worstest everest seenest movies along with Cruel Intentions 2, Batman: Killing Joke (100% proof Alan Moore is right), Mr Harrigan’s Phone, Blues Brothers 2000, the remake of Pulse and if I could tell them apart various Carry On and Police Academy films.

Hellraiser: The New One, a remake of this doesn’t sound like a bad idea to be honest. Clive Barker isn’t a director so there were spots to his film that were sloppy although he did do great considering the budget and his limited experience. There is some cool cinematography and better performances of the cast so yay for new director. At first it seems they ditched the fudged up love story for a generic slasher using the Hellraiser name but there’s a twist although I’m not sure if that’s clever writing to subvert the audience because people expect rubbish generic horror too often now or just decent writing. Either way I would have preferred the original story remade but hey-ho. The main actress is cool, she reminds me of whatshername from A League Of Their Own and Broad City. The new Pinhead is great, I love her voice. I prefer the original movie but this was enjoyable enough of a watch. Also boo they made Hellraiser political by adding bewbs to Pinhead, nothing is sacred anymore!

Please Stand By, standard but solid indie fare about how an autistic girl decides to write a Star Trek script and deliver it herself to Paramount. I don't really get Dakota Fanning, she was alright in The Runaways and she's alright in this nowt special though, it would have been interesting to see an actual autistic actor in the role though. There a few moments that make you think like when she's describing the writing processes which is really passionate monologue and makes you take a second to consider autistic people's lives like how they have to clear a routine and instructions to help them (which reminds me of the time a mate had a xmas day party and an autistic party goer didn't leave for 5 days until I said to the host don't be polite, be blunt as they don't get subtle suggestion lol) so job done by the film them. Also I really want to read the script she wrote, she talks about how Spock was learning humour which made me curious about it.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (theatre)

A part of me is kinda over these movies that want to be both your epic blockbuster & your comedy (something about Maverick, Avatar re-release, & Avatar 2 last year made me realize how much I missed relatively straight faced immersive blockbusters), but on the other hand this was still tons of fun & managed to strike that balancing act between action & comedy much more effectively than last year's Thor movie did.

It managed to both make me laugh & tear up at different points, and the big action set piece in the hall towards the end was a particular delight. I only regret not being able to find the time for a 3D showing.

InuYasha the Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler (Blu-Ray)

On my way through the franchise on Blu-Ray, I've now arrived at the point where I can fit in the third movie.

A lot of fans consider this one the cream of the crop when it comes to the film adaptations, and while I don't quite rate it that high (it has nothing that comes close to "that" moment in movie 2), I definitely understand the praise.

Granted, there's nothing here that'll make you a fan if you aren't already into the franchise (the same can be said of all the movies), but it shines a light on some background lore that the series proper barely touches upon and has probably the most exciting climactic set piece battle in any of these films.

Suicide Club (Blu-Ray)

Japanese film that follows a police investigation into a rash of mass suicides seemingly driven by mysterious online culture.

It starts off really strong with an engaging narrative and a jarring amount of gore (a couple wonky CGI effects are counterbalanced by some genuinely sickening practical effect gore), but it goes absolutely bonkers in the last third and kinda lost me.

I'm sure there's some sort of poignant cultural critique at play in here somewhere (something maybe about internet/youth culture being disengaged from reality?), but it's probably more apparent if you're more familiar with Japanese society than I am (especially the Japan of the era it was made in). Glad I gave it a go though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

@RR529 I remember Suicide Club, I really enjoyed it at the time for it's cheerful creepiness. I think that was when I was in the middle of a phase of watching loads and loads of Japanese horror like Kotoko, Pulse, Battle Royale, Ringu, The Grudge, Audition etc. Speaking of Japanese horror that reminds me I want to watch Tag.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

XandertheWise

watching some old movies this week and weekend

Postcards from the Edge
Goddess of Love
Robot Jox
They Nest. another movie adaptation based on the old 1980s horror novel The Nest

XandertheWise

Sir_Axeman

i recently went to see a few movies, John Wick Chapter 4, Super Mario Bros, Air, Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3 and also bought "Uncle Buck" on blu ray, never had seen it before but i honestly loved it, from the same director that did Home Alone, John Hughes !!!!

i enjoy Mario Kart Double Dash and Cups of Tea !!!!

Kermit1doesmath

@Sir_Axeman If you liked Uncle Buck and Home Alone watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles it's John Hughes's best film in my opinion.

dysgraphia awareness human

Sunsy

Watched Captain Ron on Tubi tonight, mom picked it out. It's a comedy about a family who got a beat up, run down, yacht, hired someone calling himself Captain Ron (played by Kurt Russell), and things go wrong. Had some laughs watching it, though I think I may have seen this one when I was younger.

@Sir_Axeman @Owl1 Oh wow, my mom just started watching Uncle Buck on her own after Captain Ron too.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Sunsy

@Owl1 You can say that, mom found it while browsing Tubi. I think we have it on DVD, which is how I saw it years ago, but I think we may have had the VHS version a very long time ago. It's nice to see someone know the movie.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

XandertheWise

@Sunsy been a long long time since ive seen any old Kurt Russel movie like Captain Ron and even the old early 1980s movie The Best of Times

XandertheWise

Snatcher

So I saw three movies recently, ant man QM, Mario movie, and D&D, and I just wanted to give my thoughts on them!

Ant man QM (5/10)

The movie wasn’t the worst marvel movie ever but it wasn’t really good, like it was funny and I loved the location, the quantum people were interesting as well, but man, they need to give there CgI artist more time, because just comparing this to the first and second ant man movie hurts, there is barely any wait between when they shrink and grown, Scott does flip his head back when he puts his helmet up but Cassie’s just flips up, without any kind of input needed, which I guess is just kind of my problem with nano tech in general, the weight is just, gone.

But of course I don’t dislike the movie just because the cgi wasn’t the best, it’s just how the movie is that I have a problem with, we have this knew villain that has been teased since Loki and we finally get introduced to him, claims he killed the avengers so many freaking times, and what happens? He loses to three people, he just dies! The cast to me at least felt like they had zero character growth, it just more ant man, which is fine, but they picked a pretty important villain to do just ant man things, I thought we were going to finally get a more serious movie with him, but I guess not.

But holy the only character in this movie that felt like they had there character development pushed along was modock, and it was the worst thing ever, this dude, steals in former mentors stuff, killed peoples tries to kill Scott, and all that took for it to go away, was for Cassie to say, “hey don’t be a jerk” like oh my goodness, images if we said this to any other notable villain, they should have just told that to thanos, would have made the job easier, and I get he is supposed to be more of a joke character but come on, it’s just terrible, only for the muc to do what they keep doing, introduce a villain only to kill them off in the same movie, and they did it in the worse way possible.

After kang is having what has to be the hardest fight in his life modock shows up and sacrifices himself, yelling, well if anyone has seen the movie you know, and I’m not going to lie, I laughed at how bad it was.

Then we go back to kang, after watching him vaporize people with ease, when it comes to ant man? Cassie? Wasp? Nah, all of a sudden he can’t just kill ‘em, he is just going to slap them all over the place, I get it, plot armor, but the stakes should have been a little higher, or should have at least felt like there was some risk in that scene, at least it didn’t to me.

And I’m not saying that someone had to die, but I’m not going to lie, this movie almost felt like a long teaser for the kang arc, and because of that we got no real character development, and it’s not like there was zero but nothing to write home about, and I’m not expecting some dramatic Change in character, I want the characters to stay who they are, but to me, it felt like nothing changed, not one bit, I’m not sure how to explain it honestly.

Now before I end this I want to say, I love the actor for kang, I thought he did a good job as him, and I can’t wait to see more of him! And if you like his movie, it’s ok, despite everything I said it’s not the worse muc movie in my opinion, and I don’t think it’s the worst movie I ever seen, it’s just, kinda there, and that’s why it’s in he middle for me, I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t like it ether, it’s just ok. Oh and I couldn’t stand Cassie, and i feel like everyone was being unfair to Scott, I don’t feel like he should have been treated the way he did, just because he hasn’t done good lately, even though I think inspiring and helping people counts but whatever.

Mario movie (9/10 )

I liked this movie a lot, and I don’t have nearly as much to say about it as ant man, but I will try.

The movie itself is a little fast in the beginning but I think it’s ok that they didn’t stay in the human world for to long, and the time they did spend was able to set up the bothers relationship, and Mario’s agility which isn’t a lot but it was a biases.

I thought I wasn’t going to like chris but I actually think he did a pretty good job, you can still hear it’s him here and there but he changed he’s voice a lot more then I thought I would, and it was just enough, though out of the voice cast, he was the weakest for me.

Charlie day as Luigi was a great choice, and wile I wish he got a little more screen time, with the time they had he was great.

Jack black, need I say more?

Key did an amazing job as toad, I didn’t think he could change his voice like that!

Now I want to get to my favorite stuff.

All the references to the nes were great! Like punch out pizza, to the ice climbers bear around the end of the movie, even when Mario and Luigi went down to the sewer, it said level 1-2, which I loved! The music was cleverly added in, and showed up at just the right times, and I enjoyed hearing it again!

The way they added the game mechanics into the world are great, I think it’s hard to kind of add video game mechanics to a movie, because it’s a video game, and it needs to be for the sake of it being a game, like sonic just randomly collecting rings wouldn’t work, but they decided to make them portals instead, which worked, Mario takes this all the way with the blocks to the power ups, I loved how Mario end up losing one due to a green shell backfiring, which lets be honest, we have all been there before.

The rainbow road scene was great! And wile I kinda found it a bit rushed as to how they got there, the rest of the scene played out well, I mean they even had the blue shell there, which is another example of them adding the games mechanics, I mean, he straight up dies, just gone.

I’m getting a bit tired at this point but I think I got my point across pretty well, it’s vary straight forward and does what it needs to do to set up a good foundation for a sequel.

Also the luma being so casual about death makes so much sense lol.

D&D (8/10)

I know jack about dungeons and dragons so I’m not sure what to really write here, however the fact that I did like this movie as much as I did, and I never needed to play the game, says something I think, it was funny, the characters were all a blast, and it gave that vibe of people just sitting down and messing around, I liked it! And I don’t think there is any harm in giving this movie a go.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

jump

Stuff I've seen!

The Congress, hybrid live action and animated film from the guy that made Waltz With Bashir (if you want people to take animation seriously then show them that rather Minions or Shrek!) about real life Robin Wright being offered the chance for her career to take off again (as at this point it was pre-Wonder Woman and 'murican House Of Cards so she was remembered for Princess Pride and Forest Gump 10-20 years earlier #meta) to be digitised so her life like ageless CGI puppet can star in movies without her and then it gets weird/pretentious depending on how you look at it. Seems timely with the writers and actors strikes being partly about AI and holds more insight now considering this was made pre-Weinstein #metoo as well. The animation style is JAW DROPPINGLY GOOD, it evokes those old Hollywood or Cuphead-ish style cartoons. There are a lot of scenes and dialogue which seems like real life debates over art, choice etc had happened and they were just plucked out to be inserted to the flick. Definitely a movie to think about rather than be entertained by but a bloody good movie none the less.

You Cannot Kill David Arquette, I really enjoyed this, it’s a kinda super heart warming documentary about failed potential and rasslin'. David Arquette the goofy cop from Scream was for a time the WCW wrestling champion a decision so bad WCW folded shortly after (not solely because of him but this contributed to it) and Hollywood took him less seriously as an actor. So to get rid of his demons from then he decides 20 years later (as well as a year after a heart attack) to become a wrestler on the gruelling Indie circuit. It’s part rebuilding so he quits smoking and gets exercising to get healthy type stuff plus it shows his genuine love of rasslin' which he thinks he has tainted so he wants to retroactively legitimise his time as champ. It features which I heard about at the time his death match with Nick Gage, Gage who is less a wrestler and more of a legit lunatic who tortures people in the ring, the match had Gage cuts David’s throat without David knowing about it beforehand (and people say wrestling is fake) so this explains Arquette’s mindset and puts it into context and you can’t help but feel for Arquette trying so hard at something he shouldn’t be doing. It’s kinda like Rocky only if Rocky was middle aged and skinny fat.

Creed 3, It’s another solid sequel and I’d happily watch another few of these even if they haven’t got that magic of the first Creed. I’m not sure why everyone was worried about Stallone not being in it as Michael B Jordan killed it in the past two. I do like the tweak of the franchise so Creed isn’t the underdog, he’s a prize fighter out there because he wants to punch people to avoid much needed therapy. The last fight was really cool, it was like an arty live action anime fight at times although I can see a few of the older Rocky fans not liking it. Jonathan Majors is so good in this, I totally buy the rumours of him being a prick in real life as he’s always better as an antagonist than a protagonist in stuff.

@Snatcher Yeah I was pleasantly surprised by Dungeons & Dragons 2 too, it is the Marvel formula executed better. I wasn't overly keen on the idea of seeing it myself but I was dragged to it as someone wanted to see it because it had dragons it. The chunky dragon is a bloody delight!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Snatcher

@jump I loved the dragon! And I agree! It does do it better, I honestly wasn’t expecting to have as much fun as I did watching it, but the jokes were funny, I actually cared about he characters, all the rpg like stuff in there was also awesome, and the actors did great! I think my favorite scenes were the grave scene, dragon, and then shapeshifting scene. But there were so many great ones, really liked the movie!

jump

@Snatcher It's because of the way they approach the humour in the two lots of films. Marvel films rarely has jokes in them, their humour comes from quippy dialogue but as they don't trust the audience to not be bored they over do it with making sure every few lines is a quip to reassure the audience this is a fun time with no concern if it's a good quip or if it suits the moment, which also undercuts itself and is my main complaint with Marvel films. D&D avoided that problem entirely by having actual jokes in it and then wrote quips into the dialogue when appropriate.

Hugh Grant has recently found a good niche as the punchable villain with this and those Guy Ritchie films. It makes far more sense for him to be the bad guy than all of those cringe rom coms he used to do.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

Do the D&D films follow the TV series?
The films will be rubbish with a lack of Uni the Unicorn.

I watched Glass Onion the other night. It's a bit like an episode of a TV series isn't it? Wonder if this means we'll get the big screen version of Midsummer Murders or Jonathan Creek

Rambler

Rambler

@jump
I've not heard of The Congress, but Waltz With Bashir was stunning. I'll have a look for it.

Rambler

jump

@Rambler It is odd as Dungeons And Dragons is basically a game where you and your mates sit around to have a laugh making up a story together so it's a franchise without any sort of real canon or material to follow so what's the point in adapting it then?

I've only recently heard of it but someone mentioned The Congress to me because of the writers and actors strikes. It does feel a bit like a bait and switch as it's mostly a trippy cartoon after the first 20 mins and those first 20 mins could be cut without it affecting the rest of the film as it's only connected by theme.

Nicolai wrote:

jump

Movies I’ve seen!!!

The Great Gatsby: That One With The Meme, I know of but have never read the book and after watching it I'm pretty sure the director has never read the book either. I was looking for something to scratch my itch after being blown away with Babylon (I should have just rewatched that) and this seemed like an obvious and good companion piece but Jebus I was wrong. If I had a few tomatoes I would have thrown them at my telly as this is so annoyingly bad, it's like a long cringe music video. There's lots of things wrong but what stands out the most is why the fudge is the music stuff like Jay Z and will.i.am? The soundtrack itself is alright but it's so jarring for a period movie and you could have had such a cool jazz soundtrack for this. It looks pretty I suppose (although used in the wrong ways) and they took risks but the film is just pure nah. I feel the sorriest for all of the school kids who are gonna watch this to help them with their English homework.

Terrifier, I wanted to see what the fuss was about as cult horror fans really like this however they also cheer on some absolute tosh at times. So cheapo terrible acting shock horror doesn't automatically make it a non-enjoyable flick but this just touches that thin border of enjoyable good bad rather than bad bad, it would be a lot better if it was actually scarey. Rightly or wrongly it has a very schoolboy sense of horror which is a part of the appeal I suppose. The practical effects are actually pretty cool for its small budget and there's a few imaginative kills here and there. The evil murder clown should be in a better movie as the actor playing him is really good in this and completely elevates the movie into making it worth a watch, he’s sorta like a murdery Mr Bean. Apparently the sequel is a lot better, I may check it out but I'm in no rush to though.

Copland, James Mangold’s slow burning westerner hidden under a cop drama movie. Side note, like Rian Johnson it will be interesting to see fans declare him ruining that big Lucas franchise when Indy 5: Electric Bugeloue 4 comes back and they should give it back to George despite the last one being pish. This cast is ridiculously stacked with Robbie De Niro, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta (it’s odd that such a pretty guy plays tough guys a lot, it’s his eyelashes I reckon), Frankie Vincent, Micky Rapaport etc so it’s basically a who’s who of 90s crime films plus oddly Blondies’s Debbie Harry and Method Man are in it as well as Janeane Garoflo who I always find interesting despite being in tiny roles. Stallone takes the leading role and kinda feels like the odd one out in the cast even though he is arguably giving his best performance outside of a Rocky movie as a good but naive sheriff who’s compromised which channels both Rocky and Rambo in a broken forgotten man waking up to do violence. I really enjoyed it and it’s a shame slow burning films aren’t popular anymore as folk won’t tolerate them. Also “You blew it!”.

Tag, I do like a Japanese horror movie and you can definitely tell this is Japanese from the loads and loads of schoolgirl panty shots in the film although this actually has a reason for it though. It would make for a good drinking game, take a shot every time you see some kid’s panties. Right from the cool opening scene you know it's a bonkers and fun mix of surreal arthouse cool symbolism (albeit heavy handed) and silly bloody splatterhouse action, like one moment there's an alligator eating a woman alive and then mere seconds later schoolgirls are having a pillow fight as life is whimsy innit. For a film less than 90 mins it impressively covers a lot of ground without being dense, it puts to shame all of those 2-3 hours long blockbusters that come out. I liked the plot twist/ending and I liked movie, I fully plan on watching it again someday but I’m not sure if it will be to breakdown it’s clever interesting bits or to simply enjoy it for the silliness.

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic