Video: Turns Out Former James Bond Pierce Brosnan Isn't Very Good At GoldenEye 007

Posted by Damien McFerran

The Spy Who Karate-Chopped Me

GoldenEye 007 is arguably one of the finest video games ever made, and was a massive seller on its host platform, the N64. It recreated the events of the iconic 1995 James Bond movie of the same name, and starred a digital likeness of Pierce Brosnan (and a "square" Sean Bean, lest we forget).

Just in case you're labouring under the impression that Brosnan is as deadly in the digital world as he is in the actual Bond movies, his appearance on The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon proves once and for all that just because your face is on the box, that doesn't mean you're a crack shot in the actual game itself.

Before taking on the show's game-loving host, Brosnan admits that he played GoldenEye 007 "once" and "shot himself in the foot". His comments are reinforced by a dire performance where he runs around trying to karate-chop his opponent. It's hilarious viewing and all done in the best possible humour, with the two enemies exchanging hugs at the end.

You can watch the segment below. Doesn't it feel good to see that iconic N64 pad getting some prime-time love?

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

It's nice to see Brosnan still looking good and the N64 looking equally good in it's old age.

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

I would quite literally give my left testicle... hell, i'd give 'em both, just to play a 1-hour long, 4-player splitscreen series of 'grenade launchers-in-the-basement' matches against Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean and Izabella Scorupco..

Mein gott..

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

The last best James Bonds actor (nope Craig is just average for me) flip flops with N64, well okay. They've both aged well.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

He was an alright Bond. He didn't really do anything unique with the character and spent his entire tenure aping Connery or Moore, but he pulled it off decently.

Shame about Die Another Day though. He deserved a better send off than that pile of hot garbage.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

I may have finally found somebody I could beat in GoldenEye! Man, my friend made me play that so much and I was so awful at it!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

i saw this earlier my time and was surprised to see them both playing on the N64 kinda cool :o but yeah weird how he just tried to karate chop even though he picks up a weapon xD

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That was very cool! Saw it earlier. I got this game around launch and played it a ton... it meant a lot for me, so it's nice to see the star play this game.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Cool!!! We've seen Mike Tyson play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! and now Pierce Brosnan playing GoldenEye 007.

Who's next!?!?! :-P

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

For me, Pierce Brosnan always will be the only James Bond that matters. 1.Because Goldeneye and TWINE on N64
2.I lived at Lakenheath when he came to film Tomorrow Never Dies.
3.He exudes calm, cool, and collected better than any actor ever, IMHO.

BassLostie

BassLostie said:

Please, Goldeneye for Wii U!

Or Perfect Dark it's pretty good too!

(much better than COD games, IMO)

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

Goldeneye is one game I will hang onto if I have to sell the rest of my video games for money. Of course, I'll have to keep an N64.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Watching Brosnan playing Goldeneye reminds me of trying to play Halo with my 55 year old dad about ten years ago. He was horrible, but it sure was fun to watch :)

EJzelda

EJzelda said:

Man, what a dream come true for Jimmy. So great seeing that game be recognized on live TV so many years later with the man himself. Though he had no idea how to play, Bond doesn't need games, just the ladies. :)