Ice Cream Surfer Rides The Waves to the Wii U eShop on 31st July

Posted by Mitch Vogel

Here’s the scoop!

A little while back, we told you about a new game from Dolores Entertainment called Ice Cream Surfer, a side-scrolling shoot ‘em up where you play as one of five unique surfers and fight against the evil forces of vegetables to protect the right to eat desserts. It sounds like a suitably wacky experience; for those of you who’ve been eagerly awaiting its arrival, the wait is nearly over.

According to Dolores Entertainment, its début game on Nintendo platforms will be coming to the Wii U eShop on 31st July, it seems in all territories. Promised to feature a colourful 16-bit art style, six distinct worlds, a two player co-op mode, support for GamePad and Wii Remote controls, and a variety of unlockable content, the developer is keen to emphasize its merits.

We'll see soon, but what do you think? Will you be picking this up when it comes out or will you be leaving this one in the freezer? The trailer for the original version (on PC and iOS) is below.

ekreig

ekreig said:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with vegetables. Provided with sufficient amounts of butter, salt, and cheese.

Tops

Tops said:

Is this the next installment on your eShop Quality Control series? :P

Mega719

Mega719 said:

If it was designed like the artwork instead of a 16 bit game I would be interested plus I ate vegetables as a kid

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Also, I love vegetables.
People overcook them and think they're tasteless.

This game seems... tasteless.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Concept art & plot are both fun, and kind of takes me back to the Nes era, but the actual game? Stinky potatoes. Somebody needs to boil it! :P

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Tops - When it 1st announced I thought it was the reason TW wrote that post. For every Shovel Night theres an Ice Cream Surfer. Yin and yang.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@WaveBoy
i thought you said you backed this up on kickstarter and payed the whole amount because you said this was yer favorite game
:O

Action51

Action51 said:

I love shmups. I'm about moderately skilled at them, but I have been a fan of these types of games since Gradius, Twin Cobra, R-Type, U.N. Squadron, Pulstar, Raiden...etc...

This game looks crappy from the video. The movement looks choppy and it seems to focus on big sloppy copy-paste sprites instead of a solid economical design and visual presentation.

It's a shame, because I don't mind wacky themed shooters like Twinbee, Cotton, or Dino Riki either.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

Wow, I think this is the first game in a long time that made me want to quit gaming! I compare it to the likes of Chubby Cherub.