This Legend of Zelda NES Demake Allows You to Experience Link's Most Basic Quest Yet

Posted by Martin Watts

Save Hyrule block by block

The original Legend of Zelda may seem like a very simple game compared to today's super-duper HD titles, but it's surprisingly deep despite its 8-bit exterior. If you don't believe us, then you may want to check out a recent demake of the game which proves just how much simpler it can get.

Created by developer Ben Purdy for the Mini-Ludum Dare 50 game jam, this Zelda demake delivers a modified version of the original quest in a whopping 16 x 16 pixels. Gone are Link's luxury features such as hands and eyes, and the green-garbed hero is instead portrayed in-game as nothing more than a mere green square. The game is completely playable within your web browser, and experiencing it may at the very least give you a new found appreciation for the original NES masterpiece.

You can play the game over at Ben Purdy's portfolio website.

Do you think that The Legend of Zelda for NES still holds up today? Have you managed to complete this demake despite its simple visuals? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via labs.benpurdy.com]

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Not bad, too bad the full dungeons aren't there. I entered the first one and it only has the room with the Triforce piece.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

oh man, I tried it an it was... it was interesting

you do not need the sword to get the triforce pieces it seems. lol

up to 3 pieces now :)

4 :)

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

You win! is the message you get when you beat it. I feel so pro now.
You don't get to kick ganons ass though :(

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Nice, I didn't realize how ingrained in my mind the map is for this game. It took me about 10 minutes to beat it.

Dr_Corndog

Dr_Corndog said:

The original Zelda is still a fantastic game today. I'd probably rank it above most of the 3D iterations, actually.

yokokazuo

yokokazuo said:

I had a few triforce pieces and then accidentally tapped about which took me away from the page and it reset me...

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Reminds me of the old Atari games I used to play. It took me about 30 minutes to finish the game. I don't know why he put bombs in it since you don't need them. Just grab the sword upgrades and you are playing with power.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I WON!!! :D (y u no fight Ganon, though :P)

Also, it's nice to come upon folks who remembers the OLD, olden days, like I do! I remember being dragon food many times in Adventure. :( Yup, this definitely felt like The Legend of Zelda in 1979! :o

SnackBox

SnackBox said:

Well that took awhile....I raised my arms into the air and shouted in triumph

Jahir

Jahir said:

The original Zelda is a materpiece. This, this is interesting, I guess that's how it sould've looked if it had been launched for the the atari (or the pong machine?). I'd miss the music though.