Auditions Open for Pokémon Championship Commentators

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Now accepting commentator applications for US Nationals and Worlds

The Pokémon Company International announced today it's taking audition tapes for commentators to provide coverage of the Pokémon US National Championships, 4th-6th July in Indianapolis, Indiana, and the Pokémon World Championships, 15th-17th August in Washington, DC, USA. Commentators selected will appear onscreen at the tournaments and live streams, and will have their travel and hotel costs covered.

To qualify, you must be a US resident over the age of 18 who can attend both the US National Championships and the World Championships. All you have to do is upload a YouTube video titled "Play! Pokémon Commentary Audition: [YOUR NAME]" of yourself commentating a Pokémon X, Y, or Trading Card Game battle. Send your email to auditions@pokemon.com with the following information:

• Email subject line: Commentary Audition for [YOUR NAME]
  • Your name
  • TCG or video game
  • Audition YouTube link
  • Level of Pokémon event experience
  • Any additional comments

The deadline for submissions is 21st April. Hopefully the Pokémon Company International will announce similar auditions for the other National Championships around the globe. Will you apply to become a 'mon commentator?

the_truth

the_truth said:

I can't wait to see some of these painfully nerdy audition videos. No doubt many of them will end up on r/cringe.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Am competing TOMORROW!!! Hope someone good commentates my worldwide victory smug smiley

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

The sad part is that I'm really interested in listening to a good Pokemon VGC commentator... I might just watch part of the event (or whatever is available) to see if someone pulls it off.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I'll be putting together an audition myself... all I need is someone with a video camera or smartphone that's willing to help me out.

EDIT: Just made an arrangement with a friend of mine to help out. I'll have my audition sent in by Monday or Tuesday.

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

This would be perfect for me if I was a US resident or played Pokemon competitively instead of casually. I've been told I'm good at speaking - somebody once said I had "charisma". Not sure how true it is, but I do know that I'm quick on my feet and rarely stutter, plus I get pretty enthusiastic, so being an announcer (for something I love like video games) would be a good fit for me.

EDIT: Fond memories of the announcer from Pokemon Stadium are rushing over me. Whoever gets picked should say stuff like "FISTS ARE FLYING IN THIS HEATED BATTLE" or "WHOAH! THAT'S THE WEAK SPOT!"