Furrtek Software Engineering Revives The Game Boy Scene With Medieval Puzzler Airaki

Posted by Liam Doolan

25 years on, and still going strong

If you thought the best days of the Game Boy had been and gone, you’re probably right. Still, that hasn’t stopped retro-hacker and developer Furrtek Software Engineering (basically, a guy with a computer) from attempting to resurrect the gaming scene on what is arguably the most beloved Nintendo handheld of all time.

Presenting Airaki – a medieval-situation tile-matching puzzle game with some minor RPG elements thrown in for good measure, and a classic two-player mode on the side encouraging players to dust off their old Link Cables and challenge a nearby friend.

Airaki is a game delivered in a classic monochrome style on a Game Boy Color cartridge. This makes the title accessible to those who own the original Game Boy, the Pocket, Color (of course), Advance, Advance SP, Super Game Boy (No 2P mode), and Super Game Boy 2.

In terms of release, Furrtek is planning on manufacturing an additional 150 copies of Airaki, after an initial run of 20. The maker claims to have a solution to reach 200 carts, but the price of the game is expected to rise by about $2 or $3 due to cartridge components being hard to find in large amounts.

With the first packages scheduled to ship at the beginning of April, there are now three pre-order deals in place. The first is a single Airaki cartridge and one instructions card, kit two includes 2 of each item, and the final kit offers 2 carts, 2 instructions cards and a link cable.

Anyone interested in placing an order can investigate here. Of course, if you don’t really feel like digging out your old Game Boy, you can always just wait for the free ROM release via Furrtek’s Facebook page.

Airaki for Game Boy is Furrtek’s second Game Boy title. The first was Super Connard, which poked fun at certain gaming themes across 3 separate mini-games, and sold 80 units in 2013. Let us know in the comments if you’re interested in taking your Game Boy out of retirement for this one.

[via kotaku.com.au]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

"basically, a guy with a computer"
>dunno why, but this really cracked me up :'D

BF-Medic

BF-Medic said:

Awesome. Give this guy a medal or something :D
Love all these new releases for old systems.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Haha :) This whole thing made me smile. The guy's website is awesome. People with GBs should support this.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Well the game looks fun!
But that Super Connard game was had memes, Hitler and Kim Jung Un, and was all in French so hopefully the new game will have English translation!

ReshiramZekrom

ReshiramZekrom said:

I should note that when Super Connard is translated from French to English, the title is Super Donkeyhole (though it obviously wouldn't be donkey).

Gioku

Gioku said:

Weird... a lot of trouble just for a simple game... but whatever! A new Game Boy game is a new Game Boy game. B-)

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

It always warms my heart when I see news of a new game for an aged system. I'm still a firm believer in building new games for the N64, myself. Though most of the stuff I've seen for N64 has been short demos and the like.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@AshFoxX This is a Game boy game, not N64. N64 games are extremely difficult to create due to the non-standard Mask ROM format. So far very few N64 homebrews exist outside of old tech demos.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

I would buy it, but it's too far from my reach (and I'm broke). It's always great hearing about new games being released for such retro systems though. I love my Game Boys. :D

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@StarDust4Ever I'm aware it's a game boy game. I'm sorry if my comment made me sound that stupid, I was just sort of saying how I would like to see what a talented programmer could do with an N64 game, and that I'm glad people still develop games for these old systems.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@AshFoxX I wasn't calling anyone "stupid". I would love to see N64 homebrew as much as anybody, but the system is extremely difficult to develop for without a developer's kit. It's a pity that emulation has come so far yet nobody has managed to get code running on it. Even most N64 hacks don't work on real hardware.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

"Super Connard" means something like "Super Dumbdonkey" in French btw. Just saying :P