Animal Crossing: New Leaf Postmortem Discussion Coming to GDC

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Coinciding with the release of Isabelle's brutal tell-all book (not really)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf players in PAL territories and North America have had more than half a year to fall into the mayorship and day-to-day happiness of its world. Now, back in this real, arguably less ideal world, New Leaf's director and producer will be opening up regarding the triumphs and challenges of making the game.

Director Aya Kyogoku and producer Katsuya Eguchi have been announced as speakers at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco this 17th-21st March. The two Nintendo veterans will team up for an hour-long talk about the creation of New Leaf and how they feel about the results. Listeners can expect them to discuss the directions they chose in attempting to craft a sequel that balanced fresh ideas with traditional series themes to appeal to both old and new players.

A specific date and time for the discussion has not yet been determined. Updates and additional information about the Game Developers Conference itself can be found through the main page.

Kyogoku and Eguchi both come from Software Development Group 2 at Nintendo EAD. Kyogoku, who joined in 2003, can also list The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Animal Crossing: City Folk among her work experience. Eguchi, a member of Nintendo since 1986, has served on multiple franchise projects including Star Fox, Wii Sports, and Animal Crossing: Wild World.

The world of Animal Crossing is filled with so many nuances and intentions meant to grasp or affect the player, so there should be plenty to learn in this talk. What questions would you like answered about New Leaf or the Animal Crossing series as a whole? Let us know below.

[via gdconf.com]

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is my favorite 3DS title!!! This may have been addressed before but....I would ask if AC will ever see the return of Virtual Console NES games?

simonhwsn

simonhwsn said:

Sorry english is not my first language and I don't really understand why are you using the word "postmortem" which in my language (spanish) is used for refering an event after someone's death.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

@Epicnessofme99 That's true. I think it would be neat if the game could be integrated with the eShop and thus let the gamer play whatever games he/she has downloaded right there from the Animal Crossing game itself. Perhaps have a new building in the game - Arcade!

Also, I think it would be neat the incorporate actual weather from whatever your location is in the world. If you have cold and rainy weather IRL wherever you live then it's cold and rainy in the AC game. (This could be an option that gets turned Off if the gamer wanted)....

Just some ideas!

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

@simonhwsn "Postmortem" is a term game developers like to use to refer to looking back on a game after production is completed. I agree it is a bit of a dark term to use.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

@simonhwsn usually it refers to a look back at an event (or game in this case) after everything is done and some time has passed to reflect on what occurred.

10000mario

10000mario said:

@bezerker99 You don't know how I have wanted an arcade in Animal crossing! I also think that you could pay 10,000 bells to play level 1 on games you don't own, then it could prompt you to buy it at the the end of the trial!
Also that weather idea is great!

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

i am so obsessed with this game it is not even funny anymore

(tom nook holding a gun at my head)
nah it's still fun to play of course ! haha...omfg please don't!!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@simonhwsn That is exactly what it is if the word is used properly. (English people seem to like to use complicated words and then define them to mean something else). I can see how it would be annoying.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I still play this game every single living day. It'd be very interesting to hear about more behind-the-scenes stuff!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Venomcmar

Venomcmar said:

We need a "vacation option" to pause the time in the game when we are busy with another games or when you don't have enough time to play for long long time.

Mowzle

Mowzle said:

I would like to know why, when Isabel is SO specific about where one can site a new project, it is then considered perfectly acceptable in the game to site a new animal resident's home just TWO squares in FRONT of a fountain statue!!!! With acres of open woodland readily available!!
That is bad game design, and almost enough for me to give up playing an otherwise wonderful game. That animal will be on his way out of my town ASAP and a park bench built in that spot. I nearly cried - truly.
I know I'm not the only player to have this experience - is it possible to issue a patch for this sort of thing?

Sir_Teabag

Sir_Teabag said:

my first AC game was new leaf and im absolutely in love with it and play it every day.
one thing i wished theyd included would have been some kind of games with ur neighbors thing, i mean like chess or poker/blackjack etc, when they come over or u come over for a visit you could challenge them to a game of cards or chess etc.

allav866

allav866 said:

@Epicnessofme99 At the very least, I wish AC still had the software-deficient furniture item that was only for display. Heck, the next Animal Crossing ought to have all Nintendo systems as furniture items. Until then, we only have a Virtual Boy.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Y'all need to have more confidence in your jokes! The (not really) totally killed an otherwise solid tag.