CastleStorm Bringing the Battle to Wii U on 26th December

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Includes GamePad-only features

After some delay, Zen Studios has now confirmed — after the official Nintendo game page had suggested as much — that CastleStorm will arrive on the Wii U eShop in Europe and North America on 26th December; it'll cost $9.99 / €9.99.

This has certainly had our attention for a good while, blending tower-defence elements with real-time action and 2D physics-based destruction. It's packed with modes, too, including a solo campaign, castle editor, online multiplayer and co-op modes.

In terms of utilising the Wii U, the developer has confirmed that the GamePad will support off-TV play as well as touch-screen controls, though it's also possible to control the game entirely with physical buttons and sticks. Local multiplayer will also allow one gamer to use the Wii U Pro Controller with the TV, while the other plays solely on the GamePad and its screen.

There's no indication of this release including the From Outcast to Savior and The Warrior Queen campaign DLC options that have recently arrived on other systems, so these may come in 2014.

There's a trailer for the Xbox 360 version below; are you interested in this one?

Thanks to Spoony_Tech for the tip.

[via blog.zenstudios.com]

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

This game definitely looks like it has some potential, especially if there are actually people playing it online. Might just pick this one up.

MERG

MERG said:

I've been waiting for this for a while...will definitely be picking it up!

Thanks for the head's-up Tech.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MERG You're welcome @MERG. I've been setting up our Wii U for CHRISTmas and having a bit of fun playing a few Zen tables. Heard they might be going on sale in NA! Fingers crossed. I do also want this as it looks wonderful!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Right on my birthday! Should give it a spin during my hungover afterparty at the 27th.

MERG

MERG said:

@Spoony_Tech I think you'll love the WiiU...I know I do. Off-TV play has exponentially increased my console playing time.

I hope we get the sale like Europe. I would love to get Stars Wars pinball. If you are playing Zen does that mean I'll be subjected to staring at your ridiculously high scores?!?!?!?!?!?!

Emblem

Emblem said:

Sweet day one for me, cost more than the steam version but the off screen play makes up for it for me. I hope the DLC is released the same day or soon after.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MERG Well that's mean you at least have to add me. I don't think my score will be through the roof just yet. Learning all these new tables will take some time. Oh and yes off screen play will be used big time in my house!

Razzle

Razzle said:

Local co-op with one person on the gamepad and one on the TV? Count me in, I love it when developers include this!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

This actually looks pretty fun. I've never actually played a tower defense game...

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

@Spoony_Tech Never thought I'd see someone who'd do that. I'm quite like-minded and impressed! And sad, isn't it, that it would get modded?

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I will definitely be getting this day one.... or the day I get back from visiting family over Christmas :P

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

This comes about in the best B-day of all... and, surprisingly, I'm not going to say mine.

erv

erv said:

This looks like an excellent title, considering picking it up. Was this a well reviewed game at the time? If the online multiplayer bit is there, I'll enjoy it a lot I think.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

Took me 2 days but finally got it. Great game looks great on tv or gamepad.
Lets kill vikings arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh