Shovel Knight Now Scheduled For A "Winter" Release

Posted by Andy Green

Yacht Club Games reveals a vague release window

Shovel Knight is currently tunneling its way towards the Wii U and 3DS eShop. The project is the work of Yacht Club Games, a team made up of former WayForward staff, and started as a humble crowdfunding campaign that spiraled into a major success story.

The developer originally stated it was aiming for a September release, but that month came and went without any sign of even the tip of a spade. It has now revealed on Twitter Shovel Knight is aiming to launch in "Winter", which is pretty vague and could well mean it has slipped into 2014.

It's certainly disappointing to see Shovel Knight fall behind the intended schedule, but based on how many stretch goals it dug through, it's perhaps no surprise it's taking longer than expected.

Yacht Club Games has also created a new trailer that mashes together a mixture of old and new footage. It can be viewed below. Are you disappointed by the apparent delay to Shovel Knight? It could still emerge before the year is out, so keep the faith!

[via twitter.com]

Related Games

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

yeah!!!! this is a game I'm hyped for! I was wondering why there were no news about it lately...

rjejr

rjejr said:

"Winter" is the least favorite of all my time frames. Even worse than "launch window" which Nintendo rendered all but meaningless.

Winter is Dec 21 to March 21 but most people associate it w/ Christmas. At least spring, summer and fall are contained w/in the same calendar year.

Quarters suck too b/c business quarters never overlap w/ yearly calendars.

Months are good. Everybody should just stick with months.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

wait a minute... Winter.... it means I'll only be able to get it in June :O
lucky people in the north getting stuff half year sooner! :p
I'm just kidding... really.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

For some reason I'm really looking forward to this! I'm not the biggest 2d platform guy either. The delay is no biggie as I've got more then enough to play till it comes out!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I think this looks good. (If the people who left are the people who got the controls so tight for Contra 4 / Mighty Switch Force then that might explain why DuckTales is like it is.)

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

This is the game I'm most looking forward to. This type of platformer is my favorite genre. So, even though it's a little disappointing that it's coming later than expected, I'm perfectly fine waiting a little longer to get the best game possible. I'd rather they take their time over rushing to get it out to adhere to some guess six months ago.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Looking forward to Shovel Knight. Not upset, delays happen. This is the gaming industry, and we should all know how it works by now. Release schedules are almost always missed, and any date or window given should always be taken with a grain of salt, maybe even the whole shaker. Release dates are tentative at best.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I've got my hands full for the rest of the year with lots of games, so I don't mind it slipping into early next year to be honest!

zeldagaymer93

zeldagaymer93 said:

2014 is shaping out to be a great year for Wii U. Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, X, and a ton of great indie games confirmed. Let's just hope they can surprise us with a couple more first party games and good 3rd party support.

seronja

seronja said:

more time, means more polish & content, now i'm really hyped about this game =D

KeithTheGeek

KeithTheGeek said:

Eh? The original launch was supposed to be September? Could've sworn all the dates I've seen were always listed as "Winter," albeit with a 2013 tucked away behind it. I don't think I've ever seen a September date for the game, unless they bumped it up some and then delayed it again. Oh well, I was expecting a Winter date anyways.

Adam

Adam said:

Kickstarter projects tend to be delayed, so I'm not surprised, though this is the first video game project I checked out. I didn't back it, so I can't say I have any cause for disappointment, but it does look like something I'll buy when it comes out.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I prefer them polishing up the game rather than just releasing it in September. Hopefully a solid date is given in the next couple of months, I look forward to getting my Shovel Knight on!