Renegade Kid Unearths More Information on Treasurenauts

Posted by Andy Green

Still on course for a 2013 release, could end up on Wii U

Earlier this year Renegade Kid announced it is working on a new 2D platformer called Treasurenauts and said it hopes to release it into the 3DS eShop towards the end of this year.

Co-founder of Renegade Kid Jools Watsham has been answering a few questions about it on Twitter and more information has been excavated as a result.

He reiterated the developer's intention to release in 2013 rather than next year and said it hopes to port it over to other platforms, including Wii U and PlayStation Vita, in the future.

However, when Treasurenauts does emerge it will not have an accompanying demo in the eShop, Watsham confirmed. In terms of price, he believes it will be about the same as Mutant Mudds - $8.99 in North America.

As we already know, the game supports download play and local multiplayer, while the campaign, which can be played alone or in co-op, has multiple endings that will add a great deal of longevity.

Watsham has said we can expect a trailer for the upcoming release very soon, we can't wait to see it in action.

Are you looking forward to Treasurenauts unearthing in the eShop? Let us know your thoughts on it in the comment section below.

[via twitter.com]

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Price seems high but hopefully it will be just as long as Mutant Mudds plus the extra Co-op content. I am looking forward to it. Is there any new information about the FPS that Renegade Kid is working on?

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

Really psyched over this one--I really hope it gets a nice Wii U port because it honestly seems more fitting to be on there to be honest.

Sleepingmudkip

Sleepingmudkip said:

@Cevan it felt like every other 2d platformer and that 3d thing really added nothing to me and i think other games did the 3d thing before this game so i really just never really played more then 2 times(i like the guns but thats all)

DeathlyDarkness

DeathlyDarkness said:

Well, I'm excited!

@Andy Green

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but do you know if RK is still making the FPS they mentioned awhile ago? Or has it gone the way of Conduit3D? :/

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I'll be watching how it turns out but right now I'm on the fence, Mutant Mudds was a very big meh for me.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Is it going to run at 60fps ? (With the controls done right this time).

I hated Mutant Mudds.

Definitely won't buy it without a demo. (Unless it is less than £2 which it won't be.)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

(I didn't bother with the demo for Mutant Mudds due it being so highly regarded and as I hated it so much I would have to know I was going to like it before I would buy anything from him again).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Anything from Shi'en has been top quality that I have bought so I am more likely to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Same with G'rev (If they are in trouble it is pretty bad for me as I would have paid £60 (Full price + import duty) for Kokuga if I could have run the Jap version - I got Under Defeat HD Collectors Edition for next to nothing as well)

(If there is a dev who has not disappointed me then I buy most of their stuff on day 1 - excluding Nintendo (Don't think they need it))

RR529

RR529 said:

It almost looks like one of those free flash games... (especially the character models)

Mutant Mudds, while a bit overrated IMO, was still a decent platformer, so I won't completely write this one off yet.

NImH

NImH said:

Treasurenauts looks great. I trust RK with this type of game. For the record: I loved Mutant Mudds. It exudes a vibe that many gamers from the 80's and early 90's fondly remember and still enjoy. The music, level design, difficulty and simplicity are all points that gamers from the era love.

marioman

marioman said:

for a split second when i saw the title a spark of joy flooded my mind with the hopes of a psychonauts sequel.... then i grew sad

ToniK

ToniK said:

I love Renegade Kid. Had some of my greatest video gaming moments with their awesome fps' on DS. Dementium 1 & 2 and moon <3
I'd like to hear some news on Cult County too.