WayForward's Matt Bozon Confirms Shantae 3DS Virtual Console Release Date

Posted by Damien McFerran

July 18th for lucky North American players

Game Boy Color platformer Shantae has been on our radar for quite some time now, and was supposed to launch last month. However, to our great disappointment the game was delayed a little, but thankfully the wait is going to be over very soon.

WayForward's Matt Bozon has taken to Twitter to confirm that the game will be launch on the North America 3DS eShop next week:

Are you excited that a date has now been set? Will you be picking up this portable classic? Post a comment to let us know your thoughts.

[via twitter.com]

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Ages and Seasons on 3DS don't support GBA enhancements (meaning you can't get the rings in the secret shop).
Will Shantae be the same? Will the secret transformation be locked out to 3DS users?
If so, I'd recommend the GBC cartridge over the 3DS one if you want to unlock everything.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

That's awesome, now they gotta get this released in Europe too.

I'm concerned about the GBA enhancements too, hopefully they will resolve this for both Shantae, and Oracle of Ages & Seasons.

@EarthboundBenjy
If I'm not mistaken the original cartridge is actually very hard to come by, there were only something like 87000 copies produced in North America as I recall. Actual cartridges don't go for cheap at all.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Well, let me say that, without GBA support on 3DS, I'd recommend the original cart only if you really, REALLY want to unlock everything.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I'll believe it when I see it, I'm tired of people announcing release dates for games and then at the last minute delaying it.

Mr-DNA

Mr-DNA said:

@Damo
If that's true, I'm going to eBay right now to sell!

Also, I'd like some news on the new Shantae game. Hopefully, it'll be sometime this year, now that more people will get a chance to play the original.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I just had to buy Sonic 1 GG, didn't I? Oh well. I'll just have to whip out the debit card to get this one.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I will get it on day one game seems fun and if I like it enough I will get revenge and the new 3ds game that is coming out, but am I the only one selfish enough for this game to not release in Japan because they got loads of good games that are not coming over here?

stupidpupil

stupidpupil said:

I've heard plenty about this series but never got around to trying... anyone mind filling me in about why it's so highly regarded?

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@ EarthboundBenjy: There are guides that show you how to hack the passwords in the Oracle games in order to give yourself those two exclusive rings.
@ stupidpupil: It's a lot like the Wonder Boy in Monster World games. So, basically, a metroidvania-esque platformer.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

Summer is going by fast. I read July 18th and thought, "Oh, man another month?".

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@RupeeClock
Iat least we could simply modify the transfer passwords for the Oracle games - Shantae's GBA mode is completely dependant of how the game will be emulated on VC.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Damo That, and your firstborn child. The prices are beyond ridiculous times two and a half. It's like Trip World. I'd really like to have a complete boxed mint version in my collection, but I wouldn't want to starve for it.