Flipnote Studio 3D World Gallery Priced and Detailed for Europe

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Learn all about the in-app coin economy

Flipnote Studio 3D arrives in Europe next week on 1st August, with the North American release still pegged for "early August". It's already arrived in Japan, and the recent Nintendo Direct Mini is a useful video to see the free app in action, with various tools and features shown off.

While we've already learned a fair amount about the free Friend Gallery and the subscription-based World equivalent (which will cost $0.99 for 30 days of access) we've known little detail about how the latter will work. The free Friend option allows you to share animations and galleries with those on your friend list, but there was minimal solid information on how the eco-system of the subscription area would work beyond general concepts. Ahead of the European release, the updated official website for the region clarifies matters a little.

For starters, the pricing will match up with that in North America, with 30 days of World gallery access costing £0.89/€0.99. What that fee gets you isn't just access, but grants you three Star Coins and 100 normal Coins, which are vital for any activity in that area. When you post a Flipnote, for example, using a standard Coin comes with the risk that your masterpiece will be removed from the gallery after 30 days if others don't rate it and, by extension, give you coins in the process. If you use one of your limited supply of Star Coins, however, the post will stay in the gallery regardless.

You also need to use Coins whenever you rate other user's Flipnotes — doing them a favour in the process — or to post a comment, while a coin will also allow you to save a Flipnote to your 3DS for easy access. The system is setup for those that want to draw a great deal or simply those that want to browse and rate other's work; if you get ratings or distribute them to worthy Flipnotes, you have a chance of earning a free 30 day pass, as the infographic below shows.

What this does do is show that accessing the World gallery for free (between 3pm and 9pm every day) will do little but allow you to casually browse. The moment you want to post an animation, rate or comment, you'll need a coin allocation via the 30-day subscription. As this doesn't appear to be a micro-transaction process that you can top up at will, you'll also need to make good use of the coin allocation that you have or earn more from the community before you can renew after 30 days.

It seems like an interesting economy that the World gallery is setting up, but let us know what you think in the comments below. For full details, it's worth checking out the official website.

[via nintendo.co.uk]

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

I'm so downloading this when it comes to NA.

Lol, the Iwata Satoru GIF was awesome.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

I had an awesome time making stuff on the original Flipnote, this could be a fantastic tool once more.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

So you lose your own creations after 30 days ? (They are not stored on your device at all ?) and the coins are not the ones you get for walking about ? (Which I suppose most people already have maxed at 300).

I would rather have a better Warioware DIY. 3DS and Wii U all have pretty much the same hardware so it would work better. (Touchscreen / gyroscope / buttons / circlepad / dpad).

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

I'm not too keen on the fact that you have to pay to use the online features, where as in the DSi version is free to use. I think I'll stick to the DSi.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I wonder if you can keep your old profile from last flipnote, I'll hate to lose my work, but I can always make more.

distantwolfx44

distantwolfx44 said:

My artistic side will be shown to the world :DDDDDDD

plans to make a toon. A whole episode, and hopes to release it everymonth. The toon will be made with the Flipnote

Chris720

Chris720 said:

89p is a steal. Not too sure on the whole idea though... you really have to upload something that is truly amazing if you want anyone to like it.

I probably won't use it much though...

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Hopefully this is released in NoA on August 1st as well. I think that will most likely be the release date (if not, the 8th), because the sample flipnotes are back on the homepage of the eshop.

Jray

Jray said:

The first word i said after reading this was: uh...?
The second time: okay...
the third time: Yus i got it!
But seriously, just reading about this makes me kinda feel claustrophobic about flipnote 3d. I'll probably be afraid to rate things unless they're amazing for fear of running out of coins. And that makes me worry about my flipnotes getting rated, cuz if not they basically get erased from the gallery?!

bleh... my excitement is now slightly turning to doubt...

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Jray Well if you posted a Flipnote with a Star Coin rather than the regular coin it stays up regardless of ratings at least that's what it seems like. I'm guessing your supply of star coins probably refreshes upon renewal of your subscription.

Also, the picture seems to imply that a collector can give you a Star Coin in addition to regular coins. So I guess if someone really likes your work they can essentially keep you in business by donating Star Coins (maybe other artists)?

kereke12

kereke12 said:

Oh yeah can't wait but....So many restriction to it oh well and wait why do we get it late now I got to change my calendar....

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

It does seem fairly complicated, especially since it was aimed at the more casual crowd.

If i'm honest, was better the way it used to have been. But that's just me.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

So is the world gallery free between 3pm and 9pm?

Anyways, I'm really excited for this. I never really got the chance to practice flipnotes, but when this comes out I'll practice alot.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

I hope that you dont have to pay monthly, instead just buy the world gallery as an update.

Sforzando

Sforzando said:

Ah, to read about Flipnotes in English... I've been using Google Translate to read Japanese websites since the 24th!
I really like how much thought has been put into the World Gallery system, with everything from Coins to Collectors designed to eliminate problems with the DSi Flipnote Hatena. The more I read about the Collector system, the more reassured I am that it will work really well. I have such big plans as a Creator and Collector. Love flipnotes so much.
Although what the heck, NOA? No word for us? It better be released Thursday!!

MF_MaxiMillion

MF_MaxiMillion said:

Took a while to understand the concept here ... but I honestly think it's a fair trade. Pay a dollar, get famous, get free membership. Genius.

Poketendo

Poketendo said:

i always loved the original one. but why, WHY?! why is the online service gonna cost money!? That's ridiculous! Okay, €12 a year isn't much, but every penny you spend, is one too much. (-Scrooge McDuck). I'll still get the program anyway.