Amazon UK Lists Wii Mini For £79.99

Posted by Damien McFerran

...after initially giving it a price of more than £100

Nintendo has so far refused to stick a price on the Wii Mini — which is coming to the UK on March 22nd — which means it's up to retailers to come up with a figure.

Amazon UK initially went with the rather obscure amount of £103.56, while rival online store ShopTo picked £84.85, which is apparently a "reduction" from £99.99. Amazon UK has since dropped to a more reasonable £79.99.

While it's nice to see a little bit of competition resulting in a better deal for consumers, compare those figures to the cost of an original Wii console and they make less sense. Amazon UK is currently selling the original model for £83.99 brand new, which means for an additional £4 you get WiFi, which grants access to online gaming, as well as Virtual Console and WiiWare titles. Second hand, Wii consoles are available for as little as £40 in some UK stores.

The Wii Mini launched in Canada last year, and we were throughly unimpressed when we reviewed it. Will you be picking one up?

[via eurogamer.net]

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

Edit: Although it does look rather nice as a collectors item ;-)

zip

zip said:

I like the old-school case. I believe the Wii mini can be hardware modded to include WiFi and all the other missing stuff, but of course you need a spare Wii for that.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

well i have a WiiU now to play my Wii games (gave my Wii away first time i ever did that with a Nintendo console)

but i guess this is a good option for parents to buy their children and know they can't mess around online and buy stuff they shouldn't

plus can't you also use the Wii ethernet adapter on this version if so you could still take it online (i may be wrong but i'm sure i read that somewhere)

NImH

NImH said:

@Damo I love how you keep posting pics of thr console with Other M in it. Classic!

DePapier

DePapier said:

One Wiimote Plus with a Nunchuck alone cost about 60 €, and the circa 100 € Wii Mini is sold bundled with those. That's good value for casuals to try the Wii and later upgrade to the Wii U decently equipped.

Omega

Omega said:

In Germany Amazon lists it for Euro 109,99. Release date is march 15nd. A normal black Wii with Mario Kart and Wii Wheel (with WiFi but without GCN compatibilty) costs Euro 139,00.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

And I say it again... Initial prices by amazon mean nothing and shouldn't be something you should worry about. It's just them protecting themselves with preorders.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

@Marios-love-child - "I really feel Nintendo should be focusing on the Wii U rather than releasing this.
The vast Majority of people in the UK still dont know the Wii U exists so releasing this is only going to confuse the uneducated even more"

Exactly! Well said...

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I want to get this in case it turns out to be another GameBoy Micro: a rare collector's item.

bahooney

bahooney said:

@Residentsteven I'm 22, and I have a record player because it offers a much higher quality of sound. It's more organic, in a sense. OH GOD IT'S SO OOOOLD. Nope, record players are still manufactured.

Gilius

Gilius said:

Seems like a waste of money. They should'v focused on a Wii U in a smaller version.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@bahooney While that is true, vinyl is costly, bully, and any specks of dust result in snaps and oops. Compared to a FLAC or 24/96 WAV with high-quality headphones, the difference is negligible enough to basically rack up pretentious people and DJs alone (with more then a few exceptions)

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I've ordered one, I think they look good! Europe missed out on the SNES Junior all those years ago, I read on Wikipedia they were selling them in vending machines... Wonder in time if they do with wii mini?