Two Brothers Developer Speaks Of Nintendo In Glowing Terms

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo "fighting against a stereotype", says indie dev

AckkStudios - the team behind Two Brothers - has given some more details about what it's like to work with Nintendo on the Wii U eShop.

Speaking to Kotaku, brothers Brian and Andrew Allanson (spooky, eh?) spoke about how Nintendo had approached the development of the game, as well as their future projects:

"I'm relieved because I didn't know what to expect," Andrew said. "As soon as it was very clear that they had a direct business plan with how they want to work with indies, and that everything was very fair, the sort of stereotype of Nintendo being difficult to work with as an indie developer... I feel like they're trying to fight against it."

The Allansons want to keep working on Nintendo consoles. They've got some ideas for how to use the Wii U's GamePad with Two Brothers, and they say they've been tinkering with their next game—a game that Brian says will feel like "3D Earthbound"—which will be their next project for the Wii U. (Two Brothers will be out early next year.)

"We're not promising it'll be as good," Brian said when I pointed out what a lofty promise "3D Earthbound" would be to so many RPG fans. "But we promise it'll be inspired."

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I'm very interested in Two Brothers, although I'm still curious about why it's being developed for the WiiU, and not the 3DS, eShop. More because of the obvious Game Boy nods than anything else.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@RevolverLink
Probably due to the Wii U's power. It's a very attractive console to indie developers.

I'm looking forward to Two Brothers. Sounds promising in its own way.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

I'm glad this website isn't paying attention to that weird debacle with Emily Rogers and Kotaku. Can't wait for their games! Two Brothers looks awesome.

Adam

Adam said:

Their next game is actually sequel to the first and will be called Two Mothers

Adam

Adam said:

It was meant as a play on the fact that Earthbound is called Mother in Japan. Forgot that gay people are hilarious. I need to know my audience better.

(I kid.)

StefyG

StefyG said:

OMG yes please make it happen a 3D Earthbound would make me cry with joy! But it has to be Eartbound like a MOTHER 4 or a 3D remake would make sooooo happy!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I don't really like white outlines on the characters but it still looks pretty good and a 3D Earthbound certainly sounds interesting.

Korbin64

Korbin64 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this was later released as a 3DS title. You know; like BIT TRIP, Cave Story, etc.