Guide: Getting Started With Your Wii U

Posted by Anthony Dickens

Nintendo provides some how-to guides for your new console

Unlike most readers at Nintendo Life, not everyone who buys a Wii U will know everything about it before they've even opened the box.

Hardware launches such as this are a great time for companies to attract new users, with that in mind Nintendo has released a series of handy videos to get you started as you embark upon your exciting Wii U voyage.

Wii U - How to Connect Your Wii U Console to the Internet

Wii U - The Wii U Internet Browser

Wii U - How to Use Miiverse

Wii U - How to Use Wii U Chat

Wii U - Nintendo eShop

Wii U - Searching Nintendo eShop

Wii U - How to Add Funds

Wii U - How to Purchase and Download Content

Wii U - How to Redeem a Download Code

What, you've watched them all? Don't you feel clever!

[via youtube.com]

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

The biggest advice I can give to my European friends: Give yourself a good 2 hours of time for the updates, just in case. And for the love of all that is holy and sacred, don't unplug the thing while updating, even if it doesn't look like its doing anything.

SigourneyBeaver

SigourneyBeaver said:

And for those not aware, you can't do the system transfer multiple times. You have to download things again that won't fit into the Wii system memory. I don't think I had enough stuff on my DSi to fill the memory, hence getting everything done at once. Was expecting to be able to go back to the Wii and fill the memory card again.

This leaves me with about 70 VC downloads to do :(

ElMastero

ElMastero said:

Connecting to the internet was a cinch. Staying connected was the problem. I had to enter in the info a half dozen times after every single update (firmware, hulu plus, netflix, youtube). Each time I got disconnected. It turns out that that the problem is quite widespread. The solution entails manually entering all of your wifi info rather than having the console do it automatically.

Raiko

Raiko said:

The firmware update took about 20 minutes for me, which was a pleasant surprise. :D

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

get a Wii LAN adapter and never worry again. WiFi sucks for anything that requires a steady connection

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

@C-Olimar
Good call, but I'm still too old-school where I'm afraid to run any programs when doing updates of any kind, on any device. New gadgets are usually buggy gadgets.

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

My wii u connected easily, much like the 3ds. My brother on the other hand had to go to his ip configuration on his laptop and enter it in manually. I think it's because his modem is new and mine is about 8 years old. Nintendo does a good job supporting older technology hence the required 2.0 hard drive, etc.

krunchykhaos

krunchykhaos said:

@Raiko lol me too i started it right when i got it and expected to wait A while so i went out to eat. I came back excited and saw that 30 minutes went by....then i got depressed but then i saw it was done and i was all happy face.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I'll repeat here what I posted in the hardware review: I had huge problems getting online. In the end I disabled network security to run the system update. After that the manual entry method worked fine, but not before.