Call Of Duty Elite Isn't Coming to Wii U at Launch

Posted by Shaan Joshi

Activision confirms that Call of Duty Elite will not ship with Black Ops 2

Wii U's online system still remains a mystery to many developers, as Nintendo continues to remain tight-lipped on how things like Miiverse and the eShop will work. Just yesterday, Activision admitted that it was unsure as to how they will deliver DLC to Wii U players, or whether paid map packs or Call of Duty Elite will make it onto Nintendo's newest console, even post-launch.

This bad news hasn't had much time to sink in, because it has now been confirmed that Call of Duty Elite will not ship with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 next month.

To quote Kotaku's Jason Schreier:

"We are currently evaluating options for Call of Duty Elite to support Nintendo's Wii U game system, however Call of Duty Elite for Call of Duty: Black Ops II will not support this platform when the game launches on November 13th," an Activision representative said in an e-mail to me.

Activision previously stated that it was still working out the details with Nintendo for online content, but this could be something of a blow for prospective Wii U owners. Does this change your mind about a purchase of Black Ops 2 on Wii U?

[via kotaku.com]

AVahne

AVahne said:

"Call of Duty Elite for Call of Duty: Black Ops II will not support this platform when the game launches on November 13th"
When the game launches on November 13th. Of course it's not going to support Wii U at launch, Wii U wouldn't even be out when the game is launched.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Well of course the Elite won't come on November 13th, because the Wii U launches on November 18th (Chuckles)

Burn

Burn said:

I'm used to the stripped down features in the Wii CODs, so it's not really a big deal. The other day I dusted off my copy of 'World at War' and played some online matches, it's still a lot of fun :)

MariosLoveChild

MariosLoveChild said:

The elite stuff is really only any use if you get a hard on over COD. Otherwise its nothing to worry about. I have not bothered with it on the 360 and never will. You wont be missing out on anything.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

How Wii U third party ports should be done:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: All content plus bonus Nintendo related stuff
Scribblenauts Unlimited: All content plus bonus Nintendo related stuff

And how it should not be done:

Madden minus the physics
CoD minus the DLC

Unlike Wii, at least some 3rd parties and Nintendo are working together this time. It's my hope that the examples above will reflect the efforts when it comes to sales of these games. Then maybe developers and publishers will start to think of Nintendo in a better light.

Smooth27

Smooth27 said:

I am a cod fan and if the dlc doesn't make it then I will not buy it this is lazy on both parties.

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

jesus that scared me i thought it said call of duty isnt coming to wii u at launch

machomuu

machomuu said:

Oh no! Now we can't play $5 worth of overpriced content that should have been on the disc in the first place! Whatever will Nintendo do to make up for the insane losses they will see for this misfortune.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

I could care less about this dlc.. I don't play enough COD in order to really use this. Although it would be nice if they did give us the option.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't care about COD or MOH or any of those, but I did get a bad feeling in my gut reading this, a bit of the ol' deja vu regarding the 3DS launch and all the stuff - eShop, transfers, etc. - that wasn't ready when that launched. Only 2 months to launch and it still seems like there is a lot we, the developers, and even some Nintendo executives don't know.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Considering I have no intentions to buy the game (it was a maybe until I found out it'll be the most expensive Wii U game at launch it seems), I don't really care.

VincentV

VincentV said:

Well, I guess if I get CoD: BO2, it'll be for my 360 then. I'm better off w/ Halo 4 & Scribblenauts Unlimited for my Xbox 360 & 3DS. Not to mention when I'll even get a Wii U. Perhaps when a new Zelda/Metroid is announced?

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

"Call Of Duty Elite Isn't Coming to Wii U At Launch"

It didn't say never. We'll probably have it as a free DLC pack within a month of the launch, seeing as it should've been included on-disk.

To me, Activision's timing is off. If I'm correct the Wii U port is the one that was developed last, which would explain why they're just so muddled over everything right now. Graphics, add-ons, what next? They need to familiarise themselves on the platform they're working on.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Nintendo need to get their arse in gear. Most people will be put off by this news. Nintendo need to get online right for once. They've had long enough to do something. I have cancelled my pre order, not because I want call of duty online, but because I want it all online. I still want a wiiU but not if it is inferior to last gen consoles. No point.

Neonridr

Neonridr said:

Okay nobody said that the Wii U won't get any DLC. Where you guys got that from the above statements is anyone's guess. All Activision said was they were unsure how the DLC will be delivered. That doesn't mean we won't see it. There isn't going to be any DLC packs for any version for at least a couple of months, and the Xbox has a 1 month exclusivity period anyways, so there is tons of time to iron out the details. As for the Elite service, who really cares? Honestly do you sit there and track all your stats because you are some hardcore gamer or something? Elite will eventually drop on the system as an update or whatever, and that's fine with me. As long as I am getting the game with all the modes and online matches, then that's fine with me. Don't worry guys, everything will get worked out.

blinder2

blinder2 said:

My god who cares its just the same game as the last one,and the one before that ect,i cant understand why the pre orders are the biggest ever,im sorry there are far better games with better gameplay that dont ask you to do the very same thing over and over again i stoped laying itsometime ago im in no way saying dont but it its a well made game but come on,but with this game not much if any are you useing your brains.its differnt maps doing the same old thing in the same old way.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

Does this mean no online service at all?

I think 2 player coop looks excellent on this and I think that will be something that will actually make my friends want to play more than online.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

But, I thought that Wii U was going to be the best system to play Black Ops 2 on?

• No Call of Duty Elite
  • No Trophies/Achievements
  • No DLC

Um... I think I'll stick with playing it elsewhere! :D

shinpichu

shinpichu said:

@blinder2
It's better than Madden, at least in regards to being stale. At least there are new levels/ an new story/some other stuff.