DSiWare RPG 18th Gate Opens For Business Soon

Posted by Damien McFerran

What happened to the previous 17?

DSiWare developer CIRCLE Entertainment has gotten in touch to confirm that its latest game is close to release.

18th Gate is an RPG adventure title which appears to use a hex-based movement system not entirely unlike those old table-top board games people over the age of 30 used to play before they discovered video gaming.

The game has already been approved for release in North America, and the developers are awaiting final confirmation from Nintendo of a launch date. In Europe, 18th Gate is in the final stages of checking.

Here's the press release, along with a trailer:

In the realm of oblivion, an abandoned palace hides many valuable treasures, but those who enter this place have no real hope of ever escaping.

You play as three different heroes. Journey through 18 different dungeon areas, facing various challenges, including random monsters, traps, limited turns and hidden paths.

Game Features:

• Adventure through a dungeon with 18 different area
  • Random enemies, traps, and bonus items
  • Play with 3 playable heroes at the same time, each with different abilities and skills

nf_2

nf_2 said:

Could be interesting. I've been itching for a new SRPG and if this one is worth the asking price I think I'll pick it up. I am somewhat concerned about a lack of variety when there are only 3 playable characters though. That doesn't leave a lot of room for customization or different strategies.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I remember Albert Odyssey (Super Famicom) did this. I thought that was really cool. Might see how this goes.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm a big circle fan although their games have been getting very generic lately. I will have to wait for a review before I would consider this!

Bankai

Bankai said:

Uh, yes entirely different from those table top board games. I would know - I still play them.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Looks like a relatively simple roguelike. Please be good, i'd love to get more into the genre.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

For the right price, I'd pick this up. With a good review from Nintendo Life of course.

Bazly

Bazly said:

It mentions random enemies, traps, and bonus items. Are the maps randomly/procedurally generated as well? I really hope so! If so I will definitely pick this up.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

This looks a lot like Crystal Heroes, or whatever that previous CIRCLE game was called. And that ended up quite terrible... :/

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

I can't even tell what's going on in the gameplay parts of that video. How about some explanatory text, Circle?

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

So... is this a roguelike where you control 3 characters instead of 1? Could be interesting.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Once again, I'll wait for the review, which I expect to be disappointingly bad. Darn you Circle. And yeah, it does look a lot like 3 Heroes Crystal Soul, except they've changed it a little. Hmm, I guess 3 is a magic number.

Markx1UK

Markx1UK said:

Ignore the naysayers if you like old-school strategy games. I downloaded this at the weekend and love it. It's certainly no frills (basic graphics and presentation) and there is the odd bug, but it plays well. It's not easy and provides a challenge. It reminds me of 8-bit strategy games, and if you like and remember these, you should get this. Just don't expect glossy presentation.