Ace Attorney 5's Heart Scope System Detailed

Posted by Shaan Joshi

Out with the old, in with the new

The Ace Attorney series has never been a stranger to unusual trinkets and gameplay mechanics. Phoenix himself wielded the powerful Magatama to uncover the deepest of secrets, his protégé Apollo used his trusty bracelet to perceive subtle twitches and nervous habits, and Miles Edgeworth has been known to play a few rounds of Logic Chess.

To our delight, Capcom is switching things up again with Ace Attorney 5. This time around, the role of dedicated gadget user goes to Phoenix's new sidekick, Kokone Kizuki. Kizuki is a defense attorney, but as Phoenix' co-counsel she provides insight into witnesses through the use of her Heart Scope.

By using her Heart Scope, Kizuki lets the player see the emotions of another character when they testify; the device can detect when a witness is surprised, angry, happy, and sad. By comparing the emotions a witness experiences with the ones you would expect them to have, you can point out contradictions and press for more information.

You can check out the Heart Scope in the latest trailer for Ace Attorney 5.

[via siliconera.com]

Luigifan141

Luigifan141 said:

Hm. I don't think I've seen you on the site before, @KneehighPark (the author of the article), so welcome to Nintendo Life!

Also, if you couldn't tell, I'm excited for this game. XD

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

You know an emotion gauger doesn't seem nearly as far-fetched as the Fey clan spiriting channelling or Magatama, or Apollo's innate ability to observe nervous twitches.

It looks like the emotion gauge simply expands on Apollo's ability, rather than identifying singular phrases that trigger a nervous twitch (which you need to spot), you can simple assess who they feel during a given statement.

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

@KneehighPark Welcome to Nintendolife.
I have yet to play an Ace Attorney game, but I guess it's never to late to start here. Then I'll at least know how the gameplay in PL vs. AA will turn out.

KneehighPark

KneehighPark said:

@KodyWB-98 Thanks! I would definitely consider checking out the Ace Attorney 123 HD release this Fall. It's only out for iOS devices, but it packages the first 3 games together with slightly better graphics. Coming from someone who owns all the games, it can be very hard to get physical copies of some of the games, especially if you want them in good condition.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

So... she's basically an empath? Like Counselor Troi? In my mind that's good enough to consider this game a part of the Star Trek universe!

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

As always I can't wait for the next Ace Attorney adventure, this series had be hooked from the start!