Nintendo Patents Improvements for 3DS Download Play

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Less pesky waiting

Download Play has been a positive feature since it was introduced in the DS family of handhelds, especially for those that don't have an internet connection or in some games where only one game cart is needed for multiple people to play. Many of us may not use it that often, but it's an extra that shows Nintendo's devotion to playing with others in the same room.

One big drawback, however, is the fact that you can probably complete a complex problem of advanced mathematics in the time it takes two systems to connect and exchange relevant data. While that may be an exaggeration, a new patent filed by Nintendo suggests that the company is keen to improve the service on 3DS. According to the plans, Download Play may be updated so that when data is downloaded from the 'master' 3DS, the receiving handheld will actually store it on the SD card and retain it, rather than wipe it when play is finished. It'll only be accessible the next time you play the game in the same way with a master copy, but it means that the second time around it will load up right away.

The patent also suggests that system updates could be shared through Download Play, allowing 3DS owners without internet access of their own to potentially update firmware from a friend's system.

It seems that Download Play waiting woes may come to an end in a future update, which can only be a good thing.

[via freepatentsonline.com]

Crafton

Crafton said:

How about removing region lock on download play, would be really handy to use my American 3DS as a spare for when friends are over.

shynra

shynra said:

"According to the plans, Download Play may be updated so that when data is downloaded from the 'master' 3DS, the receiving handheld will actually store it on the SD card and retain it, rather than wipe it when play is finished" - I noticed that already happens (well on street fighter 4 anyway) 'try it yourself!' (in a neil buchanan voice)

AVahne

AVahne said:

I've always thought that Download Play data was kept on the receiver's 3DS after gameplay. That's what I read before launch and from my own experience. But, I've noticed that my brother and I have had to redownload each other's data for the games now and then, with games only loading up instantly for a certain period of time. Seems to me that the current system actually only stores download play data for a short period of time and deletes if the data becomes unused after a while.
So this new system to storing in the SD Card sounds just fine to me!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Go for it Nintendo... no matter what it is, big or small, nowhere to go but up.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

So it could work like the SD Card Menu, huh? Well, any improvements can only be a good thing.

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

Hey, I was looking in the eshop and saw that Super Mario Land 2 has a to update screen button. I think this is just a mistake though.

NImH

NImH said:

I'm still waiting on that 3D screen interactivity patent to manifest. That's gonna be rockin.

spamineggs

spamineggs said:

I think #6 is right. the first time I played Mario Tennis with my friend it took a while to load (as usual), but the next time we played it was MUCH faster to connect.
EDIT: I looked at the patent file and it says the patent was filed Sept. 12, 2011

GamecubeMan

GamecubeMan said:

Great... now more 3DS download games...... wheither this is a good or bad thing is up to you :P

Araknie

Araknie said:

The 3DS already does this for me, i've tried it with SSFIV, and i have data.

This is old, i guess...

Cyb3Rnite

Cyb3Rnite said:

I wish the data was playable without a master copy. Maybe they can have something like a demo icon in the download play menu, you can use the demo 10 times until you reset it using the master copy. Plus, distributing it to others won't be too bad either.