E3 2012: SiNG is Nintendo's All-Singing, All-Dancing Wii U Game

Posted by James Newton

So it might be good

Wii was heaven for people who like singing and dancing games, and it looks like Nintendo wants to keep that trend rolling with SiNG (temporary title) on Wii U.

Developed by FreeStyleGames (the DJ Hero people) it's a cross between karaoke and dancing. The Wii U GamePad displays lyrics during karaoke, and can be used as an audio mixer and to create playlists. Two players can sing and two can dance, while the fifth orchestrates the party like a megalomaniac.

It's out at launch so you'll have it in time for your Christmas and New Year parties.

Party All Night Long

Get the party started with SiNG (working title), a new, interactive musical performance game that will get you and your guests singing and dancing well into the night. With dozens of popular songs to choose from, everyone from novice singers to experienced entertainers will be able to join in the fun. While one person steps up as the main performer, others can dance, sing and clap along with the prompts on the TV screen making sure everyone at the party is rocking out together.

Features:

In "Party" mode, the lead singer uses the Wii U GamePad controller to view lyrics and receive cues, freeing them from the TV and allowing them to interact with the audience, making each performance more engaging and enjoyable.

There's no limit to the number of people who can join in at one time. Audience participation, such as singing, dancing, interacting with the lead singer and playing instrumental sounds with the Wii Remote controllers, is the key to a great performance.

In "Sing" mode, up to two singers' vocal and overall performance quality are evaluated on the TV in real time.

The GamePad can be used as an audio mixer and to create a playlist.

A variety of song selections, from the 60s to current pop hits, makes it easy for players from any generation to put on a show.

Dante52uk

Dante52uk said:

I will prob buy this for the wife so I can laugh at her and her friends when they have had one too many glasses of wine. I could very well have hours of amusment by just sitting and watching them play this game.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I've been dying for a Karaoke game that would let someone sing while others pass the tablet and look up songs... but the song library is the key. This desperately needs a big online library of tracks to download at will from in-game. Then I'll be all over it. A smaller, fixed set of tracks would be disappointing.

mamp

mamp said:

I still don't get how it keeps track of the other players that are dancing. This game looks pretty stupid right now, I don't think it can compete with Just Dance.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Make way for mainstream hits by Katey Perry and dozens of other trashy modern crap that the girlz dance it up to at the clubs. I wan't some 80's and early 90's dance tracks. Throw in some funky disco while you're at it devs...Hell I'd rather take an entire DDR catalgoue of tracks than what's to be expected here. :p

BenAV

BenAV said:

Not interesting in any singing or dancing game personally, so I shall pass on this one.

akacesfan

akacesfan said:

Why do I get the feeling that not everyone will be dancing along to the song in real life?

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

Hm...this game is published by Nintendo? Chances are at worst there'll be a mixed reaction from reviewers.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i'm excited for this. I love the Just Dance games and loved the American Idol Karoke game that they had. Will definitely be getting this.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Yeah you know, because dancing to a machine that doesn't tell you how good or bad you're at it is stupid. Just like that mode in the GC Wario Ware Inc where the winner is decided by the players.

Now seriously, this looks like it will be a great party title just for the karaoke.
I am totally not the target audience, but I don't see how that automatically means this will be a bad game or shovelware.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro-N-Gamer

Pro-N-Gamer said:

Insteadt of this BS, Nintendo could have show us something better.. Like Game & Wario.. Cause i liked to see more from that title

Aviator

Aviator said:

@WaveBoy Did you just use Katy Perry and hit in the same sentence?

Also, to everyone who doesn't want it, don't buy it.

Everyone will buy it though when it's revealed Gaga is on it

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Karaoke shovelware... well, that should get the casuals to get the Wii U's flying off the shelves. Knowing my luck, I'll probably be the same drunk-with-friends guy playing this at some undisclosed time in the future :D

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

What's with all the vile hatred for singing, dancing, and goofing off for laughs? Is that a viable plan for life to rigidly stick to what you know and avoid any potential embarrassment or expression of emotion? I really don't get the vitriol.

I'll give you that a lot of modern pop is irresponsible in the passions it dishes out to young teens, but have some fun and live a little, please. Life is short. I always expect a little more from Nintendo fans who've stuck through the Wii because they seem willing to go outside the box for fun, but I guess this is too far. You know... singing and dancing is unacceptable, I guess. lol.