Grasp the Sword of Hope on 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by James Newton

Once more to arms

Everyone's favourite ratings board has outed Game Boy game The Sword of Hope 2 for 3DS Virtual Console.

Japan's already got the first game under its Japanese title Selection, but the follow-up is coming to PAL territories. Developed by Kemco — best known for a thousand cartoon and movie Game Boy tie-ins — it's a very old-school RPG that blends turns-based combat with text adventure-style exploration. The video below explains more.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Wasn't this the game where you could marry ANYBODY you wanted in the ending, be it a man or a woman?

Alexneon

Alexneon said:

Ohhh the old times...when no stupids kids talk about how bad is the game cuz it have bad graphics etc etc etc. love the sound of the music.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Looks interesting...and I note with some interest that I don't see any indication online that it was ever previously released in Europe. Imports ahoy?

Also...seems weird they're going straight for the sequel. The first game, it seems, actually WAS released in Europe. I never understand how these people decide what to sell. :P

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Great! Even more GB games being announced, and I remember this one being alright. I'll probably pick this one up when it arrives. :3

EDIT: The video is from the original game, not the one we're getting. If you guys already knew then my apologies, just pointing it out in case you did want to show gameplay from the second game.

RR529

RR529 said:

There's pretty much nothing at all in the way of RPGs on 3DS at the moment (at least here in the U.S.), so if this releases over here, I might give it a download.

ATDI

ATDI said:

@FonistofCruxis You should not be getting it twice! :P
IDK looks interesting, but I've got dozens of unfinished RPGs on my plate. Waiting for Paper Mario 3DS as my 3DS RPG of choice.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

As much as I would love to try something new in the form of an old GAME BOY that I missed out on. Heck, I never knew about this one when I was a kid to be honest. Anyways, I would probably grow bored with this game VERY QUICKLY as I'm not into these kind of RPG games like this one for example. I'll have to DEEPLY think it over if it comes out onto the North American eShop.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Never heard of this game but it looks like a RPG version of Shadowgate which means it could be really good,

Bazly

Bazly said:

@Sabrewing: That would be SO cool. I want to play it now just to see if that's the case! If it is, this would probably be the earliest example of some sort of positive view of homosexuality in games!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This looks pretty cool. I never played or let alone even heard of this game before. Should be an interesting addition to the growing library of 3DS Virtual Console games. Hopefully we will get this game soon. I would really love to play it. :)