Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion Confirmed for 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Now to fill in the details

Earlier this week we reported on the rumour that Epic Mickey 2 was coming to 3DS. Although the official sequel, Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two was later announced for Wii, it seems that the 3DS rumours were almost completely accurate.

The cover of the April issue of Nintendo Power leaves no doubt, showing a preview for Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion: proof that the initial tweets from the French Official Nintendo Magazine earlier in the week had the right title. Details are limited but it's apparently due to launch later this year, possibly alongside the Wii sequel, while DreamRift has been confirmed as the developer: that studio was behind the well received Monster Tale on DS.

Considering the graphical capabilities of the 3DS and the potential for intuitive use of the stylus, this could be a promising entry in the franchise. We'll keep an eye out for an official announcement and details.

[via joystiq.com]

-DL-

-DL- said:

I wonder if the issue came in for me, heh. I'll probably buy this for PS3.

motang

motang said:

Hoping it would be an awesome 2D platformer with 3D graphics! :D

I loved the ones I played on the SNES and Genesis.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Aha, my prediction was right! My pointy hat didn't fail me.

If the different versions for the different consoles have the same content, I'll get the 3DS version rather than the Wii one. Otherwise, if they differ, I'll just have to find out which versions have what, but I would probably still lean toward the 3DS.

RR529

RR529 said:

Seeing as how it's subtitle is different than the console versions (and that '2' is absent in the title as well), I'm assuming the 3DS version isn't even going to be a port. Seems much more likely that it's a separate title that'll be released alongside the console game.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

The 3DS version has a different developer so it's guaranteed to be different. And Dreamrift has only made side-scrollers in its past, so the 3DS version is 95%+ guaranteed to be a side-scroller. The 3DS is one of the big boys, it has 2 sticks and everything now. It should be able to handle fully 3D games. I love side-scrollers, but I'd like to have the fully 3D version when a series was made to be in 3D. That being said...I'm glad DreamRift is developing this. They are one of my top 3 side-scroller devs for the DS family, along w/ WayForward and Griptonite.

Now does anyone know how we can contact Disney or Nintendo and ask them to release "Mickey's Castle of Illusion" for Game Gear on the 3DS Virtual Console to coincide w/ this?? That game is epic. And it stacks up suprisingly well to the legendary Genesis version as you can see at this link: http://www.sega-16.com/2009/07/side-by-side-castle-of-illusion-genesis-vs-game-gear/

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Ooh... my interest in this game just doubled with the news of it (possibly) being a 2D side-scroller. Never played Epic Mickey but the most intriguing sections for me were the classic platforming sections

Dak_n_Jaxter

Dak_n_Jaxter said:

I heard the sequel was releasing for all platforms... and i hope the 3DS version isn't a rip. Because that's the one i'll get

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Sounds like the Wii and the 3DS versions are going to be entirely inidividual games. Interesting. Would've like a game like Epic Mickey 1 on the 3DS, but I have a strong feeling it won't look or play like that. Interesting times. (No Vita or iOS releaase news?)

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

This sounds like what they did with the kingdom hearts series. The numbered games on home consoled and the in-between on the hand-helds.

Zergling

Zergling said:

@Nintendo6400

I am afraid it is. When I saw the tease at the end of last months magazine it was my second thought. the first being pokemon since it looked like pikachu stripes.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Meh the Epic Mickey news didnt grab may attention so much as the free AR cards. Might have to stop in at my local Barnes and Noble and pick up this issue just for the cards.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Excellent! Since both versions will almost surely be totally different games, I think I'll grab both the Wii game and 3DS game! I hope they connect or tie in with each other somehow. I like when supplement handheld games do that!

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Darn....now what system do I get it for?!?! Wii, 360, or 3DS?!! ...or all the above!! ...nah, that wouldn't be smart. :p

iroxursox

iroxursox said:

hey i was looking at the content and saw that they reweiwed wario land 3 for the VC that might hint that we are geting it this week in the USA

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

I can honestly say I am excited for this. Talented team, great source material.