Mario Tennis Open Launches 24th May in Japan

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Served for an ace?

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has confirmed, through his Nintendo Direct broadcast, that Mario Tennis Open on 3DS will be released in Japan on 24th May. It's the latest first-party offering to be released as part of Nintendo's revival of the handheld, and it's the fourth time — including Virtual Boy — that Mario has taken to the court in portable form.

It seems perfectly likely that a worldwide release won't be too long in coming after this announcement. While we're still waiting for more details on the title's content and features, is this one that you're interested in picking up?

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

3rd time actually...4th if you count Virtual Boy. >.>

But I'm actually kind of excited for this. I've always loved Mario Tennis. And it sounds like there's online play for this too. (I think I heard Iwata say that at least)

Even without it, I would still get it, for sure.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see this come up, and I'm more surprised that it's coming out so soon in Japan. I wasn't expecting it until the summer. Still, I'll definitely get it and since it's made by Camelot again, I think it'll be as good or better than past Mario Tennis titles, hopefully the latter.

From what I've seen of the features, it looks like there be playable Miis that you can customize. There's special moves again like in Power Tennis, but they might not be as common in this game. From what little I saw of the stages, they looked great, especially Donkey Kong's.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Mario playing tennis... Unless there is a demo for it and I like it, then I will most likely will not be buying this.

Aviator

Aviator said:

Do we know if this is a port of Mario Power Tennis, or if it is a new game?

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

New characters for this got confirmed at Nintendo Direct.

Daisy
Bowser Jr.
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Yoshi
Mii

The origional trailer only had Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser.

edhe

edhe said:

The gyro control options don't interest me, but the conccept of a new Mario Tennis does - especially one with online features.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

To those pointing out that this was the fourth portable Mario Tennis, you are indeed right. We were rather busy reporting Nintendo Direct stories and I got that fact wrong, so apologies.

Still, it's fixed now :)