The King of Kong Remake Could End Up as a Mockumentary

Posted by Trevor Chan

Seth Gordon talks directorial influences

Seth Gordon's The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters documentary about Billy Mitchell and Steve Wiebe ― two gamers on a quest for a world record-breaking high score on Donkey Kong ― is still on course for a remake, but the style in which the film will be presented might in some ways end up being a pastiche of The King of Kong.

Speaking to The Playlist, Gordon talked about the appeal of the original and what stage the remake is at today:

I think it’s the thing that won’t ever die in a way because I think we all love the doc... And so we haven’t given up on it. And there’s a new draft by [2007 Black List writer] Melissa Stack who did a wonderful job. And so it’s quite real.

Since the release of the 2007 documentary, Gordon has worked on various film and TV projects: the most notable examples include Parks and Recreation, The Office, Modern Family, Freakonomics, and Horrible Bosses. More specifically, the shows that utilised a documentary-style of filming have given Gordon an idea on how he might handle the filming of the The King of Kong remake:

There’s a few different avenues [the film can take]. I’ve done some work on ‘Modern Family’ and ‘The Office’ and have worked in this doc style, and so that inspired me to say, instead of doing a traditional narrative feature script, what if we did the remake in the doc style? What doors what that open? What opportunities? What additional story could we tell? And that’s essentially the approach we took.

So instead of a traditional documentary, the remake could be starring actors portraying the experiences of Mitchell and Wiebe. Whether the proposed mockumentary style will detract from the narrative remains to be seen, but for now, who would you like to see take on the roles of the Donkey Kong champions?

[via blogs.indiewire.com]

Splat

Splat said:

"Who would you like to see take on the roles of the Donkey Kong champions?"

I'm not doing anything just saying.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Did you say mockumentary? God, I wish they'd bring the King of mockumentaries, Christopher Guest (Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show) in to direct. I'd love to see his crew of regulars from these shows in action again, they're hilarious together! And to see my Queen, Parker "Busy Bee" Posey in a film about a Nintendo video game... Nirvana.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I'd watch a mockumentary style King of Kong remake.
i've never seen the original but i love the office

hydeks

hydeks said:

I think the idea to use actors is dumb. I watched the original on netflix and it's fine the way it is, leave it be.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Keep it real, guys. I'd rather see live footage, interviews with players, experts, witnesses, etc. than watch a film about some no-name actors pretending to be champoins. Either make something up with a decent plot (like in that 80's Nintendo movie where the kid runs away to California to compete in a NES championship - I forgot the title), or stick to the principals of video journalism, like with the original Kong documentary. I can't stand that reinacted garbage they show on the cable networks. :p

EDIT I just now remembered the name of that 80s Nintendo flick: "The Wizard", LOL!

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

I think you're missing the point, 10 and 8. It's not making the documentary again but with actors, it's going to be a fictional version of the documentary most likely played up for laughs. The documentary and the mockumentary would be 2 completely different films.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

I'll be interested to see where they go with it. The original is hilarious as it is, although that's mainly due to the personalities of the people involved.

Actually TRYING to make a comedy out of it will be an interesting exercise.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@James
Thank you very much! I take total win from you as a high compliment! Glad to find another fan of Chris Guest's mockumentaries. His usual story progression would be perfect for King of Kong: 1. The time leading up to the big event. 2. The event itself. 3. Aftermath (usually six months later).

Anyone who wants to see what a King of Kong mockumentary could be like, check out "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show", "A Mighty Wind" or "For Your Consideration". Pure comic goodness. Here's a little sample. Nobody does high strung like Parker Posey...

luminalace

luminalace said:

Why does it even need to be remade? Besides only the devil could play Billy Mitchell!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I hope it does get a good remake and it's not all about the guy who owns the sauce company..... Oh and if it re-made I hope it reaches the UK.