Super Mario Design Documents Reveal Guns, Rockets and Fighting

Posted by James Newton

The Mushroom Kingdom was very different back then

We've only just recovered from the bombshell that Super Mario Bros. nearly had a shoot 'em up stage, but prepare for more shocks as original design documents show the path the plumber nearly took.

Part of the History of Mario booklet contained in the Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition, the documents reveal Mario's moveset was originally a little richer than just running and jumping.

When Mario grabbed a rocket item, pressing B in the air would send him flying at great speed, whereas pressing A would make Mario use his item – a beam gun or rifle, according to the document – or unleash a kick if no item was held.

A kicking, rifle-toting, rocket-flying Super Mario is just a little different from the version we got. Would such a hero have been such a family favourite 25 years on? It's unlikely.

[via andriasang.com]

Related Games

Rensch

Rensch said:

The rocket idea would actually work in future games as anew power-up. I can see that happening.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

It would've been a more complex, interesting game with more replay value this way. That's for sure.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I prefer Mario simple, but it would have been. And it would stop all the stupid 12 year olds from thinking that Mario is for 'babies'.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

And that seems a mite too complicated for the game that's supposed to just show off the NES. But as Rensch said, that would be great for future games.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm so glad that we have the Mario we have today. I wouldn't have him any other way.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Sounds like a very different game. It would be cool if Nintendo would use this idea in a (non-Mario) WiiWare or DSiWare game. That would be fun.

Nekogao

Nekogao said:

Just got my 25th Anniversary All-Stars pack and I have to say, it's a bit disappointing. The game itself is, as expected, exactly the same as the SNES version. There is very little original artwork in the booklet and the soundtrack has only 20 tracks, half of which are 5 second long sound effects from the original Super Mario Bros. Only the main themes from each game are included. So no underground level music from Super Mario Bros. Nintendo have released arranged versions and medleys before but none are on here.

A disappointingly lazy effort from Nintendo when you consider what they could have done with it. I understand Miyamoto wasn't in charge of them but why have the Game Boy Super Mario Land titles seemingly been airbrushed out of history? An update of those titles would have been an excellent addition.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I like the rocket powerup idea too for a future game...or a non mario game with similar mechanics.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I am so glad they ditched the Laser Beam gun(Let Ratchet & Clank have it) or the generic and completely unfitting Rifle item in favour of the awesomeness that is the Fire Flower. :D

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

Rocket Mario huh? Well he didn't have a gun, but Wario got to pick up the rocket part in Super Mario Land 3 and it was a pretty awesome powerup.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I can see where some of the other Mario games got stuff. The rocket idea of pushing a button mid-air sounds much like the fludd rocket from Sunshine.

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

Just specially for the 25th aneversary, they should make these awesome sounding levels for the virtual console! (for a small price hopefully)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I like the idea but with those different concepts Mario would just be another forgotten 80s cash in and not the icon he is today. I'm glad Miyamoto realized how important it is to be different/original more so than just trying to please the market with fancy guns and other silly weaponry.

Punny

Punny said:

It's hard to imagine Mario like Rambo. :D

I like Mario the way he is. His normal nature is what makes him so appealing. :)

Feld0

Feld0 said:

I always questioned the rocket attachment for FLUDD in Super Mario Sunshine. I think we now know where it's from.

Now, as much as I love Mario the way he is now, I think it would be really cool if Nintendo at least tried a full-on, big-budget Mario shooter. They might have what it takes to change my mind about the genre.

Hmm...just thought of something. Nintendo is probably going to recycle the whole shooter idea in some form or another, even if they cut the guns (I honestly cannot ever see Nintendo going that route). While it's a little hard to come up with something for Mario, I think a first-person Yoshi game where you throw eggs in a 3D space might be possible.